The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What are you listening to?

Rate this topic

7 hours ago, D-Money said:

Yup. Not nearly as much as Lonerism, though.

When lonersim came out my friend tipped me off to it and I gave it a go but to this day it didn't grab me.

however another friend has the inner speaker album on vinyl and I tried it out this past summer and enjoyed it start to finish - to the point I purchased the deluxe album off of iTunes c/w a few remixes that are pretty fun.

So when he suggested currents I have listened to it about 6 times through in the past week.  I want to like it and there are some good moments but it's quite the departure from innerspeaker.

imo its overproduced and takes away from some of the charm of the band musically.  Each song forced the vocals into a high register and as a result almost no change in dynamic.  Lyrically it is still strong like before but I found the subject material mostly depressing.  Maybe that caught me off gaurd.  Anyways, overall I'll keep it on the rotation but interested to see where tame impala goes next.

they obviously have become a genre/project band which is cool but I hear enough talent and creativity to think that they could form their own identity.  

16 hours ago, riffraff said:

Anyone listen to Tame Impalas "Currents" album from start to finish?

Tame Impala = 1 part Pink Floyd 1 part Tangerine Dream

I enjoy Currents.

But I get lost in their first album. No one song grabs me. Its not about hits. So melodic I can play it for days on end...

52 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Tame Impala = 1 part Pink Floyd 1 part Tangerine Dream

I enjoy Currents.

But I get lost in their first album. No one song grabs me. Its not about hits. So melodic I can play it for days on end...

Currents throws me off a bit.  What do you like about it?  I find them to be an intriguing band and I would agree with you I don't listen to them for the hits at all.  As I said Lonersim as an album didn't click at all and that is probably there most commercially marketable album with the elephant etc.

innerspeaker I heard more Beatles and Byrds than floyd.....well I should say more Lennon....ironically I'm not even into the Beatles or Floyd.:o

27 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Currents throws me off a bit.  What do you like about it?  I find them to be an intriguing band and I would agree with you I don't listen to them for the hits at all.  As I said Lonersim as an album didn't click at all and that is probably there most commercially marketable album with the elephant etc.

innerspeaker I heard more Beatles and Byrds than floyd.....well I should say more Lennon....ironically I'm not even into the Beatles or Floyd.:o

I listen to it like Jazz.  When I want to think or relax. Not pay too much attention to the music.

It has rolling melodic sounds I find very soothing. That's what I compare to Floyd, though not the genre.

Still has some pace to keep me awake. Bright sounds and voices to be uplifting without distracting.  

42 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I listen to it like Jazz.  When I want to think or relax. Not pay too much attention to the music.

It has rolling melodic sounds I find very soothing. That's what I compare to Floyd, though not the genre.

Still has some pace to keep me awake. Bright sounds and voices to be uplifting without distracting.  

That makes sense and I would agree for the most part although I find the lyrics to be a bit of a downer despite the boppity light music.