The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What are you listening to?

Rate this topic

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 4:06 PM, chon derry said:

I had a great friend Kenny 25 odd years ago. He turned me on to bands like Bootsauce & Rhymes with Orange.  Seems to me he dressed up as Spiderman, and we went to the Press Club, I think it was, on Granville to see Bootsauce one year at Halloween. Rhymes with Orange New Years, cant recall where. He passed away a couple of years ago just before Christmas.  I miss you Kenny!

This song probably to close to the heart at the moment.

• Like 1

So those who know me. Here and in real life?

Know I love a good story & talk to much.  Maybe a bad story? Here is one of my favorites.

I've lived in Australia for 13 years now? Born Vancouver, grew up in Winnipeg, moved back to the coast when I was 24, and had sojourns in Edmonton (blech 3 years, but my cuz Steph is one of the worlds nicest people, so it was worth it), stints in Indonesia, New York & Calgary and 14 years in Van including our 94 cup run. Perth and Melbourne in Oz.

I owe my love of music to my mum. She was in to politics, feminism, green grass (a 60's thing) from the prairies. She dragged me kicking and screaming, had to volunteer, the life of any event, to the Winnipeg Folk Festival. I came to know a political activist & idealist > Mitch Podolak. He was the event promoter when I was a kid.  Buffy St Marie, Anne Murray, Bruce Cockburn, Sarah McLachlan. We volunteered, I was voluntold to come along! We went for 12 or 13 years? From when I was 7. But I met and saw some of the worlds best acts. 

And when I was 18 thru 20 I had work in a record store in Winnipeg when I was in Uni. Across the street from what is now the arena and Eaton Centre. But, fluck you could not park, and Wiinnipeg is waaay to cold to walk from my house. So I used to get parking tickets. And not pay them.  :shock:  One January morning i'm hung over like bat sh!t. Must be 4 am Sunday? Police banged on my door. "Fluck off!'' More banging.

I opened the door & I was arrested for owing too many parking tickets.  :P  I got dragged in. Spent the balance of the weekend in jail. Was let out only when I agreed to do volunteer work.  My friend was Gerard  who roomed & worked with me was also arrested. I agreed to do volunteer work for the $2000 I owed. Gerard owed $1500. We had to sign off. The next week, he signed up for street cleaning in the middle of winter for his debt.  LOL, I saw Mitch's name on the list of volunteer activities. 

Mitch had opened a joint called the West End Cultural Centre on Ellice avenue. Only a few hundred metres from my house on Young st. Local artists were given the stage for free, and a chance to get a take on the alcohol.  My ''volunteer work'' to pay off my fines consisted of tending bar at the WEC every weekend for the next few years. 

My first night;

Brad Roberts and CTD before they made it;

Frickin Mitch! He never filed the paperwork for my volunteer work. About two years later I was arrested again & had to pay the fines off.

Oh well. It was so much fun.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

When I was a kid I loved Nazareth, Nazareth, Judas Priest, Maiden, the first album I ever bought half a generation earlier was Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath.

Im proud of that actually? But I'm not really a metal head. Its something you do to rev up when life doesn't. And you grow out of?

Here's a California band I do like. Another few years after;

• Cheers 1