The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tennis

-DLC-

It's a shame..... she hasn't been the same since her shoulder injuries =/

True, but I always thought she was a little overrated. Just a little, because she's obviously a beast built for tennis, but people were obsessed with her and she always ended up losing with little explanation. She just... lost matches.

For womens', I'm really excited to see Henin's comeback, hopefully she'll face Clijsters in the quarters. That half is going to be epic, assuming all the pieces are put in place.

I really want Roger Federer to win another title in Aussie. He needs to win so he can put himself on top of people like Djokovic and Del Potro. If he can dominate those two, it's smooth sailing. Until then...

It's a shame..... she hasn't been the same since her shoulder injuries =/

She still has what it takes. She made a lot of unforced errors yesterday, but that wasn't even what really hurt her. She played fairly well but she didn't deal with the pressure very well which is very odd for her. She had plenty of chances to win, but she lost all the big points

True, but I always thought she was a little overrated. Just a little, because she's obviously a beast built for tennis, but people were obsessed with her and she always ended up losing with little explanation. She just... lost matches.

That pretty much describes all of women's tennis, just really inconsistent

Edited by Killa

The real tragedy would be Rafael Nadal. When people said he'd burn out from injuries by 25, I didn't believe it. He's not even a shadow of what he used to be. Rafa used to be a nightmare for Roger, whenever they played, Roger would choke and there was the brick wall that he couldn't go over. Now the wall isn't there because Nadal can't get far enough in tournaments to pose a real threat to anybody. I'm a diehard Roger fan, but I can't help but feel bad for Nadal.

The real tragedy would be Rafael Nadal. When people said he'd burn out from injuries by 25, I didn't believe it. He's not even a shadow of what he used to be. Rafa used to be a nightmare for Roger, whenever they played, Roger would choke and there was the brick wall that he couldn't go over. Now the wall isn't there because Nadal can't get far enough in tournaments to pose a real threat to anybody. I'm a diehard Roger fan, but I can't help but feel bad for Nadal.

Bah, his career isn't even close to being over... Let's just wait and see before we get too depressed about his most recent level of performance.

Potential upset underway? Ball, who I haven't even heard of, just won in the first set tiebreak against Verdasco!

Federer and Andreev was almost an upset. I was really nervous in that third set there. Roger's just not feeling it at all right now and I'm worried he might ruin that 20-something consecutive major semis record he has. I mean, he's 28 but there should be at least two more decent years until he really starts to decline. On top of that, he seems to have a really fluid and easy style of play (compare it to Nadal, who's aging much faster due to his intense gameplay).

Federer and Andreev was almost an upset. I was really nervous in that third set there. Roger's just not feeling it at all right now and I'm worried he might ruin that 20-something consecutive major semis record he has. I mean, he's 28 but there should be at least two more decent years until he really starts to decline. On top of that, he seems to have a really fluid and easy style of play (compare it to Nadal, who's aging much faster due to his intense gameplay).

Well, he plays a game based on his technical prowess. Nadal is obviously more of a physical player, runnning up and down the court, and smashing the ball like it's no-ones business.

This is why Federer will play more consistently into older age. His body slowing down would just require more minor tweaks in his game as he goes along.

The Andreev and Federer match was hardly a near-upset. Roger played very poorly in the first three sets and still managed to take the match in four. On the other hand, the Andreev and Federer match from the US Open a couple years ago was a tight affair.

Haven't been able to catch ANY of the AO yet and, like someone else stated, it's been one of my favorite tournaments to watch in the past (probably because it was Andre's best). Appreciate the updates here - am hoping to catch some of it. Glad to see we have tennis fans here - hey luineul, knew I could count on you. ;)

She still has what it takes. She made a lot of unforced errors yesterday, but that wasn't even what really hurt her. She played fairly well but she didn't deal with the pressure very well which is very odd for her. She had plenty of chances to win, but she lost all the big points

That pretty much describes all of women's tennis, just really inconsistent

I think Clijsters has something to say about that.

Edited by pimpcurtly

I think Clijsters has something to say about that.

Clijsters and Henin are pretty much the only ones who fit outside that description

Blake and Del Potro are in a tight 5th set right now, 6-6

Edited by Killa

Clijsters and Henin are pretty much the only ones who fit outside that description

Blake and Del Potro are in a tight 5th set right now, 6-6

Del Potro and Blake was an epic battle. These are just two guys with heavy flat forehands who blast down and not over the net. I'm really looking forward to seeing epic stuff like this.

Inconsistent tennis would definitely be Henin and Serena Williams. Clijsters used to be a really bad choker before she won her first US. She would rip through tournaments and come short in the semis, where she'd get destroyed. Serena Williams is really interesting to watch because she gets really whiny throughout the game, and she wins in straight sets, so...

Del Potro and Blake was an epic battle. These are just two guys with heavy flat forehands who blast down and not over the net. I'm really looking forward to seeing epic stuff like this.

Inconsistent tennis would definitely be Henin and Serena Williams. Clijsters used to be a really bad choker before she won her first US. She would rip through tournaments and come short in the semis, where she'd get destroyed. Serena Williams is really interesting to watch because she gets really whiny throughout the game, and she wins in straight sets, so...

I have seen a huge change in Clijsters game since she made her comback. She seems a lot more calm in high pressure situations. I guess having a kid will do that. Watch all the women in tennis start getting knocked up. If Sharapova needs a sperm donor, I'm game! :lol:

And thanks for not saying who wins the Del Potro vs Blake match, I am watching in awe right now.

Hahaha, anyone who thought Clijsters was going to go far is probably in a hole right now. Just kidding, I loved her comeback, but I guess taking care of a baby has its toll. 6-0 6-1 is the worst match of her career. I just hope she can really bounce back from this because she's brought back a lot of excitement to women's tennis.

Hahaha, anyone who thought Clijsters was going to go far is probably in a hole right now. Just kidding, I loved her comeback, but I guess taking care of a baby has its toll. 6-0 6-1 is the worst match of her career. I just hope she can really bounce back from this because she's brought back a lot of excitement to women's tennis.

[inserts foot into mouth]

I am just watching it now, and shes already lost a break 2 games in. Can't believe she only wins one game the entire match. :huh: