The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tennis

-DLC-

Why would you say that? He is going to be ranked 6th or 7th in the world after Wimbledon is over. He made the QFs of the French too. He is definitely inside the 'second tier'

Also, you cannot even say Murray is in tier one anymore. He's ranked like 10th after Wimbledon, hasn't gotten a top 10 win forever, hasn't been in a single final this year(Hasn't won a title in a year). He has been injured however.

I am a member of quite a large tennis forum, and even his biggest supporters are wondering if he will ever be a contender again.

These.

He's already in what is a second tier, and he'll be moving up with dimitrov and nishikori when the very top opens up.

Then he'd be at the very bottom of the second tier. It has yet to be seen that Raonic can consistently defeat Del Potro, Ferrer, Wawrinka (in fact, he's never defeated Ferrer or Wawrinka). Nishikori has shown that he can defeat Ferrer, and on clay no less.

Maybe it's more of a Tier 2a and Tier 2b, where the Tier 2b players can defeat the Tier 2a players (Nishikori's record against Ferrer, Raonic's record against Berdych) but the Tier 2a players still have more clout and dependability.

She was overmatched today but this experience will be huge. She'll learn from it and will use it to make her stronger...to the point that when she does win a title someday she'll point to this day as having helped her get there.

Congrats Genie. You captivated a nation.

• Upvote 2

Yesterday the British press were asking her about her questions about the Royal family and Genie stated that she'd love to see them in the Royal box for the final. Sure enough, there was Princess Eugenie and family in the box today and I couldn't help but wonder about the pressure of that whole moment for Genie.

Still she was graceful and thoughtful as always in the presser after the match, not giving any excuses and praising Kvitova several times for simply outplaying her today. She even talked about how the junior Wimbledon championship meant more to her than runner up today, which to me just shows her champions mentality.

She's come a long way in just the last year, even though she's been working towards this since she was 9.

Longer term I think this loss is good for her.

Edited by MJDDawg
  • Upvote 1

Kvitova isn't this much better than the 2nd best woman player in Wimbledon. Bouchard isn't near that level, she didn't have to play Sharapova or Serena Williams and everybody thought she had a chance just because she got all the way to the finals. Bouchard is around the 8-14th best player in Wimbledon.

Factor in nerves...experience will be on her side as she progresses and that's how people do elevate their game over time. I'm giving her a pass for this one...she's definitely capable of winning and just needs to up her mental game and be prepared. It's all fairly new to her at this level, she'll be fine.

Well done. I have not lost faith in her.

Watching the men's doubles now...

I don't think anyone should lose faith in Genie after today's loss. Once you put it into perspective and look at how quickly she's rose through the ranks and how much she improves as she goes...we will have a dominant player in Bouchard.

This Men's Doubles final is quite the battle. 5th set, 5 games apiece. The British crowd seems firmly behind the Canadians (and Sock) this year. =)

Edited by ckamo

Haha Nestor who?

He's probably like "damn where was all this hoopla when I was winning" lol

That's true. "Now you guys are celebrating?"

Anyways, where's the damn ceremony? :)

Edited by Monteeun

Lame eh? It was a quick one. Players walked up to the royal box, received their trophies, posed for photos, and that was it. :(

Oh really? Didn't see it.

I just did a search for it. Yea, there it is.

Edited by Monteeun

Nestor's been replaced lol

j/k

It's kinda sad seeing some people on twitter calling this Canada's first Wimbledon title haha. Way to go Vasek and way to go Genie. Even though she was overmatched this time she's going to win some slams in the next few years.