The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tennis

-DLC-

It's kinda sad seeing some people on twitter calling this Canada's first Wimbledon title haha. Way to go Vasek and way to go Genie. Even though she was overmatched this time she's going to win some slams in the next few years.

That is funny. Nestor disrespected :(

That is funny. Nestor disrespected :(

Nah, Daniel Nestor will always be a Canadian Tennis legend. 8 Grand Slams titles in mens doubles, and 4 in mixed. The longevity his career has had is amazing. He's 41 and still competitive in both mens and mixed doubles.

I'm glad people are finally getting excited for Tennis in Canada, and Vasek certainly is one to keep an eye on and part of the young wave of Canadians coming up, but people shouldn't overlook Nestor.

It's kinda sad seeing some people on twitter calling this Canada's first Wimbledon title haha. Way to go Vasek and way to go Genie. Even though she was overmatched this time she's going to win some slams in the next few years.

When the winning moment happened, it felt historic because the media was making it out to be so huge. It's funny to think that Nestor has won a whole bunch of Slams and it's never been publicized this way. Oh well, glad to know that the future is in good hands once he retires.

The winning moment and trophy ceremony: http://www.tsn.ca/VideoHub/?collection=72&show=393251

Too bad it wasn't a closer match.

she still has to be better vs top seeds. Wouldn't be surprised if she is in finals again in us open

Eugenie is 20 years old.

Most great champions come to the pearly gates thinking God will open the door and roll out a big red carpet.

Instead they get their butts handed to them rudely . To look at this positively, she ate some humble pie today and will grow leaps and bounds . She will be #1 by 2016.

She is simply the greatest Canadian tennis player we have ever produced. I am proud of her. :towel:

• Upvote 1

Was getting off work hoping to catch the tail end of the match, when I get an update from TSN Go that tells me Eugenie already got swept. She'll be fine though. Sometimes losing this badly helps moving forward.

Congrats to Vasek though. Of all the people to bring home some hardware, I did not see that coming. Maybe this helps him bring some confidence to his singles game. I'm guessing we're going to see him partnering with Sock for the foreseeable future, at least.

This is somewhat of a good news.

Milos and Bouchard have gone up in rankings. Going on some very good runs this year.

With Vaseks win in doubles hopefully that will get him back on track in singles as well. I remember him playing pretty well before the back injury.

I see Shamasdin playing with Nestor in the doubles tournament this week along with Peter Polansky. Peter Polansky won doubles at a challenger tournament last week i believe. Really felt maybe its time for him to make the jump to the top level.

I know people are angry about Bouchard's loose and me too because who likes losing but it was still one hell of a run.

It's seeming more and more likely, and inevitable, that Pospisil will fall to ~80-90 in the world after the 2014 Rogers Cup. He over achieved the second half of last year to reach his career high of 25th, and because of his back injury wasn't able to use his improved ranking and seeding to his advantage.

However, I think his skill level is at least that of a top 50 player. If he remains healthy for a significant period of time, then I could see his ranking stabilize somewhere in the top 50.

He missed the first portion of 2013 because he had mono, and even when he came back, he was physically weaker because of it.

Now, he essentially misses the first half of 2014 with his back problems.

I think we need him to have a complete healthy 2015 tennis season before we can truly judge where Pospisil should be.