The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder Talk

carlweezer

Hodgson and Schroeder will get pushed around easily, and it won't solve our "grittyness" issues. They should be placed on the 2nd line, or if we get a talented enforcer for those guys they will do fine on the 3rd line.

Uhh you just said that together they'd get pushed around easly, and you want to move them up to the second line?

How about:

Raymond Kesler Schroeder

* Hodgson Samuelsson

* preferably a left handed checking winger/centre

I'd like to see his points broken down by months or something, because after that incredibly slow start, he's been on fire. Been averaging at least a point per game in the second half of the season

http://www.uscho.com/stats/gamebygame.php?player=15654&season=20092010&gender=m&action=display&team=71&amember_login=&amember_pass=&amember_redirect_url=%2Fstats%2Fgamebygame.php

16 points in his last 14 games since Dec. 11

Uhh you just said that together they'd get pushed around easly, and you want to move them up to the second line?

How about:

Raymond Kesler Schroeder

* Hodgson Samuelsson

* preferably a left handed checking winger/centre

schroeder wont be making the team next year, i was talking about hodgson. By the time cody gets the feel of the nhl, schroeder will be ready.

not sure how much water this holds... but from talking to some one who's "on the inside" of the local hockey scene (Minnesota) it sounds like Jordan is leaving Minnesota after this season to sign a minor league deal with the 'Nucks because of the lack of development (see Pat White) that is going on at "the U" (what we call the Univ. of Minnesota.)

This discussion came up when I asked about why the Wild were REALLY off-loading Nick Leddy (the player the Wild took rather then Schroeder.) According to my source... many GM's are growing tired of how talent is being wasted at "the U" and teams end up spending more time and money then they'd like in getting their picks ready for the NHL.

Without directly saying it, he almost made it sound like Jordan might even "fly the coup" after the Gophers are out of the WCHA playoffs (conf. playoff that every team makes... the bigger tournament is a long shot at this point unless the Gophers can win the WCHA playoffs.) So keep your eyes and ears open for when the Gophers get eliminated. I would think if he is going to leave and still play in the minors this year, it'll happen within a week or two after the Gophers are out.

Will his team make the playoffs? Aren't the gophers fairly low in the standings?

There is two playoffs in US college hockey.. conference playoffs (that every team makes) and then the NCAA tournament (which only 16 make it.) Unless the Gophers win the WCHA playoffs (their conference) they won't be playing in the NCAA tournament (conf. winners get an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament while the rest of the field is filled out with the best teams who didn't win either the regular season or tournament for their conf.)

not sure how much water this holds... but from talking to some one who's "on the inside" of the local hockey scene (Minnesota) it sounds like Jordan is leaving Minnesota after this season to sign a minor league deal with the 'Nucks because of the lack of development (see Pat White) that is going on at "the U" (what we call the Univ. of Minnesota.)

This discussion came up when I asked about why the Wild were REALLY off-loading Nick Leddy (the player the Wild took rather then Schroeder.) According to my source... many GM's are growing tired of how talent is being wasted at "the U" and teams end up spending more time and money then they'd like in getting their picks ready for the NHL.

Without directly saying it, he almost made it sound like Jordan might even "fly the coup" after the Gophers are out of the WCHA playoffs (conf. playoff that every team makes... the bigger tournament is a long shot at this point unless the Gophers can win the WCHA playoffs.) So keep your eyes and ears open for when the Gophers get eliminated. I would think if he is going to leave and still play in the minors this year, it'll happen within a week or two after the Gophers are out.

Seems logical, I personally don't see the benefit of playing another year or two at "the U" for Schroeder. But you never actually explained why the Wild off-loaded Leddy. Was it because they didn't think he was going to pan out anyways? Why were they so short-sighted in selecting him then?

Do you know of any sort of discussion board / website where other CDCers can stay up-to-date with information about "the U"?

Nothing would delight me more than for this to happen. Just imagine Schroeder and Hodgson ripping up the AHL. Thisr boost just might save that team's playoff hopes.

And yeah, since the Gophers are not ranked right now (not even receiving a single vote in the latest pole), they would never make the Frozen four playoffs without winning their tourney (which is fairly unlikely considering they have to play against a number of high ranked schools). they are currently sitting 7/10 in the WCHA, and would have to play Minnesota Duluth in the first round. A team that is ranked # 12 right now and who they have a record of 1-2-1 against.

Seems logical, I personally don't see the benefit of playing another year or two at "the U" for Schroeder. But you never actually explained why the Wild off-loaded Leddy. Was it because they didn't think he was going to pan out anyways? Why were they so short-sighted in selecting him then?

Do you know of any sort of discussion board / website where other CDCers can stay up-to-date with information about "the U"?

ok remember when Okposo left during the season to join the Islanders? Garth Snow ripped Don Lucia (the coach of the U) saying he wasn't developing talent the way NHL coaches like. Well from the people I've talked to, he said what most NHL GMs think.. but never say. With that in mind, when the Wild drafted Leddy, it was former assistant GM Thompson's idea to take Leddy in the draft. Well after Leddy's issues (had some injuries and hasn't been really consistent when playing) the Wild thought that he was losing his upside and in order to get a player like Barker (who's still in his early 20s) they would have to give up a prospect.. and he's looking like the least valuable prospect on D right now (compared to those that are ready to join the Wild next year or the year after.)

So the bottom line was that Chuck Fletcher didn't draft Leddy and was probably not happy with how that pick is turning out (and since he's playing locally... it's easy for Fletcher to see Leddy play.)

Probably the best/most used site for all US college hockey talk is found at USCHO.com. There are a ton of people who use it and there is always a lot of discussion going on in it (you can usually find at least 1 person who follows any given team in D-1 NCAA hockey.) The only problem is that when it comes to "inside info" on the Gophers... it's like trying to get information from the CIA at times. People in Minnesota take pride in how the Gophers do, and they don't like to rock the boat (unless it's throwing the coach under the bus after several bad seasons.)

Side note to Jordan leaving... I think they ('Nucks) are afraid of "White pt. 2" right now.

Nothing would delight me more than for this to happen. Just imagine Schroeder and Hodgson ripping up the AHL. Thisr boost just might save that team's playoff hopes.

And yeah, since the Gophers are not ranked right now (not even receiving a single vote in the latest pole), they would never make the Frozen four playoffs without winning their tourney (which is fairly unlikely considering they have to play against a number of high ranked schools). they are currently sitting 7/10 in the WCHA, and would have to play Minnesota Duluth in the first round. A team that is ranked # 12 right now and who they have a record of 1-2-1 against.

This is actually the better rankings when figuring who will be in the NCAA tournament or not... http://www.uscho.com/rankings/pwr.php

it's on the same site as the one you posted a link for, but it's found under "rankings" then move your mouse down to "Men's D-1" and then a drop down menu will list a few different rankings (USCHO, USA Today, Men's D-1 PWR, etc.)

According to the PWR, they (Gophers) are sitting at 24th... which is about 8 spots "outside" of the NCAA field. What usually throws a wrench into it all is some teams near the bubble (10th to 20th) playing just horrible at the end and at times those teams that are hanging 21st-25th have a stellar end to their season and conf. tournament... and suddenly they make it in (especially if they play for a "big school" and the team that slipped is from a much smaller program.

Side note to Jordan leaving... I think they ('Nucks) are afraid of "White pt. 2" right now.

except white was never supposed to be a top couple round pick, and never had as promising of a future as Schroder.

This is actually the better rankings when figuring who will be in the NCAA tournament or not... http://www.uscho.com/rankings/pwr.php

it's on the same site as the one you posted a link for, but it's found under "rankings" then move your mouse down to "Men's D-1" and then a drop down menu will list a few different rankings (USCHO, USA Today, Men's D-1 PWR, etc.)

According to the PWR, they (Gophers) are sitting at 24th... which is about 8 spots "outside" of the NCAA field. What usually throws a wrench into it all is some teams near the bubble (10th to 20th) playing just horrible at the end and at times those teams that are hanging 21st-25th have a stellar end to their season and conf. tournament... and suddenly they make it in (especially if they play for a "big school" and the team that slipped is from a much smaller program.

2 games left in the regular season. they are not going to jump up 8 spots unless they win both games 8-0 (or something insane like that). Given that they are playing Wisconsin (#3) I think that it is almost a forgone conclusion that it will not happen.

hmm thats awesome... i thought schroeder was a waste of a draft pick... but that is reassuring to hear that he is becoming an offensive threat.

Really? Cause you'd be the only one.

Perhaps you are thinking of White?

And Jordan was always an offensive threat. It's why we drafted him.

So with the Gophers absolutely sharting the bed this year, is it still a foregone conclusion that Jordan goes back for two more years? Or even one more year?

I understand that U of M is a school that has a huge tradition and for a Minny native like Schroeder it would mean a lot to stay there, but I hope to hell he starts thinking about what's best for his hockey career and not just staying at that hole of a hockey program right now.

I know it probably won't happen, but I hope to never see JS wearing a Gophers jersey after this season wraps up in the next couple weeks.

Can you suggest why the development at the U of M has not been as good in recent years? They used to have some pretty good players come out of there, but players like Patrick White, Brian Schack and even David Fischer (another first-round pick) have not really taken a significant further step year after year. What is up with this lack of development at the U of M? It's real disappointing, and apparently some people want the coach to go, or at least be "asked" to step down.

You seem to be a knowledgeable person regarding the Gophers, Zamboni - do the players get much practice/workout time at all? Do they get to work on individual skills and receive dietary/nutritional training, things like that?

Archived