The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder Talk

carlweezer

Why Can't Schroeder be called up by the Canucks this year? Or can he?

I think its because if he gets called up this year, it would either mean that he would have to be put on waivers next year, being sent down OR His contract would start when he was in the minors.

I have no idea but I think this is why

Anybody think he could make the American team for the World Championships if the Moose miss the playoffs? Theres been talk of Eberle joining the Canadian team, so why couldn't Schroeder join the team.

It really depends on who the American's will have available, when that time comes. Two players that come to mind are Kessel and Malone.

WINNIPEG -- Jordan Schroeder is adjusting to the pro game at a rapid pace, which makes sense considering how swift a skater he is.

Through three games, the first-round pick (22nd overall) of the Vancouver Canucks in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft has two goals and four points and has been showcasing his offensive flair.

"It's been pretty good so far, contributing offensively and working hard defensively," said Schroeder, who was part of a group of Manitoba Moose players taking part in an off-ice workout Thursday following Wednesday's 7-1 drubbing to the Hamilton Bulldogs. "If I keep doing that, I think I'll be all right. I was hoping to get on the board a few times, but to have a few goals and a few assists already is big for me. The confidence is up."

Schroeder, who joined the Moose last Saturday following his sophomore season at the University of Minnesota, has enjoyed his first taste of the American Hockey League.

Schroeder scored on his first shift, added a second goal in his professional debut, then chipped in an assist in each of the past two games against the Hamilton Bulldogs.

"After the first game I started to get a feel for the pace and everything and now I can just calm down and relax out there," said Schroeder. "It's been great so far, nothing to complain about. I'm really happy."

The Moose see their next action on Monday when they travel to Abbotsford, B.C. to take on the Heat.

In all likelihood, there will be some Canucks brass in the stands, but Schroeder isn't too worried about the extra attention that could be around the corner.

"It might be in the back of my mind, but you can't think about that. I have to go out, play my game and do what I do best," said Schroeder. "I just have to go out there and have some fun, play hockey and work hard, that's all I can really say."

It's gonna be awesome when the Moose visit Abbotsford! Hopefully the presence of the Canucks brass will spark the other members on the team to play better overall as well, especially Shirokov who hasn't been contributing as much offence of late. Maybe sometimes they do need a little reminder that if they play well then they could get called up as a reward. The AHL is a pretty tough grind, after all.

Archived