The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kevin Bieksa you are really...

Zigmund.Palffy

Regarding your edit: let's not push things okay? ;)

Nope. Sorry.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to insist that you find and post something that I've said that is "unreasonable".

Otherwise, I expect a full and unequivocal retraction, with an appropriate amount of contrition.

Nope. Sorry.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to insist that you find and post something that I've said that is "unreasonable".

Otherwise, I expect a full and unequivocal retraction, with an appropriate amount of contrition.

How about saying Salo is slightly better defensively than Bieksa? Well below your usual standards for sure....

No retraction for you my friend...... ;)

If Bieksa didn't strip that puck off the blues player the blues player walks out in front of luongo. The blues player had complete positions on hamhuis after stripping the puck off of him after he refused to use his outlets.

That play was all hamhuis.

at 16:46 blues player shoots from the high slot.

Completely wrong, never once did the blues player strip Hamhuis of the puck. Hamhuis still had position. If Bieksa wasn't there, he probably would've just passed it to the player in the corner (or use the net as a screen and skated out himself). Looking again, and there was an oppurtunity for the Blues player to grab the puck but thats right when Bieksa came in, so we can't say whether he would've or not (Hamhuis could take it away rather easily if he reacts in time).

Just watched the video on gamecenter.

Completely wrong, never once did the blues player strip Hamhuis of the puck. Hamhuis still had position. If Bieksa wasn't there, he probably would've just passed it to the player in the corner (or use the net as a screen and skated out himself).

He did skate it out from behind the net and immediately attempted a pass that ended right up on the Blue's stick....how is that Bieksa's fault???

I've been trying to tell you since last night about this play. You don't even remember the whole play that well, as you've alluded to before. I remember it pretty well, and even mentioned it in the GDT...go look.

He did skate it out from behind the net and immediately attempted a pass that ended right up on the Blue's stick....how is that Bieksa's fault???

I've been trying to tell you since last night about this play. You don't even remember the whole play that well, as you've alluded to before. I remember it pretty well, and even mentioned it in the GDT...go look.

I have the video now, you either can't remember the play or are talking about something else because no pass was ever made.

Here's a screen:

fth91w.png

The puck is at X, and Bieksa moved the puck to the arrow tip allowing the Blues player to pokecheck him and cause a scoring chance.

I respect your opinions Sharpshooter, but everything you are saying about this play is completely off, you are talking about something else (or don't remember properly).

There is another screen though that shows that the Blues player might have been able to get his stick on the puck before Hamhuis, so it's really fiiiiiiiiiiine.

2mnrx8l.png

This shows that the Blues player may have been able to pass it out regardless, but we'll never know now (Hamhuis could lift his stick, etc.)

Completely wrong, never once did the blues player strip Hamhuis of the puck. Hamhuis still had position. If Bieksa wasn't there, he probably would've just passed it to the player in the corner (or use the net as a screen and skated out himself). Looking again, and there was an oppurtunity for the Blues player to grab the puck but thats right when Bieksa came in, so we can't say whether he would've or not (Hamhuis could take it away rather easily if he reacts in time).

Just watched the video on gamecenter.

The blues player slashes hamhuis and the puck is suddenly not on hamhuis stick. How is that not stripping the puck?

I have the video now, you either can't remember the play or are talking about something else because no pass was ever made.

Here's a screen:

The puck is at X, and Bieksa moved the puck to the arrow tip allowing the Blues player to pokecheck him and cause a scoring chance.

I respect your opinions Sharpshooter, but everything you are saying about this play is completely off, you are talking about something else (or don't remember properly).

There is another screen though that shows that the Blues player might have been able to get his stick on the puck before Hamhuis, so it's really fiiiiiiiiiiine.

This shows that the Blues player may have been able to pass it out regardless, but we'll never know now (Hamhuis could lift his stick, etc.)

Yeah, it seems we are talking about two different points in the game. Oh well....at least we know which play you were talking about. I'll have to see if I can also find the vid then....or can you post it?

The blues player slashes hamhuis and the puck is suddenly not on hamhuis stick. How is that not stripping the puck?

In order to "strip" a player, you yourself must gain possession of the puck. He knocked a puck slightly ahead of Hammer, but the Blues player never got the puck himself.

Yeah, it seems we are talking about two different points in the game. Oh well....at least we know which play you were talking about. I'll have to see if I can also find the vid then....or can you post it?

I can't, it's from NHL Gamecenter (4.95 a month to watch past games).

How about saying Salo is slightly better defensively than Bieksa? Well below your usual standards for sure....

No retraction for you my friend...... ;)

Actually if you read carefully, I never said that. I said the team would most likely be slightly better based on how game-ready Salo is. Not the same thing.

I remain skeptical that we'll see the Salo we're all used to seeing immediately upon his return. Eventually, he'll round into form, but until that time arrives, I stand by my assertion that the team will not be "way" better defensively.

I believe I can say without fear of contradiction (aside from perhaps the lunatic fringe of Bieksa slaggers) that the above is a reasonable statement.

An effective bomb from the point yet extremely reluctant to use it majority of the time. That defeats the purpose of even having it in your arsenal, doesn't it?

It looks easy to get a shot off from TV viewing. The fact is that Salo at times doesn't shoot because the opposition are keying on him, and plugging the lane quickly to prevent a 103 mph slapper from getting through. Salo, unlike Bieksa, can actually think quickly and make the safe play in that situation, which is NOT to shoot into the opponent's pads and thus creating a decent chance for a 2 on 1 or a breakaway the other way. Edler, IMO, can be faulted more since (especially lately) he's had an unobstructed path to get his slapper on goal, but defers to another instead.

The good thing about Sami's shot is that since other teams fear it so much, he'll always make the smart play and find another with a bigger opening created by the overloading on Salo.

Bieksa OTOH, nobody fears his puff ball shot. The only reason he got goal #2 the other night was because of the excellent Kesler screen (though he did make a nifty move to get in position).

It looks easy to get a shot off from TV viewing. The fact is that Salo at times doesn't shoot because the opposition are keying on him, and plugging the lane quickly to prevent a 103 mph slapper from getting through. Salo, unlike Bieksa, can actually think quickly and make the safe play in that situation, which is NOT to shoot into the opponent's pads and thus creating a decent chance for a 2 on 1 or a breakaway the other way. Edler, IMO, can be faulted more since (especially lately) he's had an unobstructed path to get his slapper on goal, but defers to another instead.

The good thing about Sami's shot is that since other teams fear it so much, he'll always make the smart play and find another with a bigger opening created by the overloading on Salo.

Bieksa OTOH, nobody fears his puff ball shot. The only reason he got goal #2 the other night was because of the excellent Kesler screen (though he did make a nifty move to get in position).

Wait, wait are you saying Bieksa doesn't have good hockey sense ? You learn something new everyday.

Hmmmm...interesting...because you are right, obviously you have been watching the games...and thats what is great about your post.

Its safe to say that Juice and Salo read the plays differently....and Salo is the more sound player, i really dont think you would get anyone, regardless of their feelings about Bieksa, saying anything different.

If there is a trade off....Salo of the last few years does not shoot when given the chance...and Bieksa makes the lower % play.

Either way....having both of any of their attributes is a boon for the team.

I believe at some point in an interview Salo mentioned that he was afraid of hurting people when he shoots into traffic.

Archived