The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

:::Official Nordiques de Québec thread:::

Nordiques_fan

No but I think it should definitely factor in the decision though, the Canucks have had good success bringing in local boys that ended up playing their best hockey here, with Tambellini being the latest. I don't remember him ever playing like that on Long Island but now that he's wearing the flag, it's like he put on 20 lbs and grew 3 inches.

And as far as the Canucks are concerned, there's been a chronic blind spot with respect to the WHL and the WCHL before it, which you know has produced more NHL hockey players than any other league on the planet. Look at all the lower mainlanders, Western Canadians and WHL grads that got Cup rings last Spring, it's a little annoying because it happens a lot.

That's definately true, I have no clue why the Nucks ignore the WHL like the plague. do their scouts just ignore it altogether because of a eastern bias they might have? or do their WHL scouts just flat out suck? Or maybe they just are not as vocal or enthusiastic as their OHL/QMJHL/European counterparts so they get ignored?

Still choked we didn't get Lucic. our 2 picks that could have landed him: Michael Grabner (1st round) and Mika Noronen (traded from Buffalo for our 2nd round pick). HORRIBLE.

I'm just glad that Lucic is in the other conference so I'm not constantly reminded of that seemingly obvious pick, I'd probably be drinking Scotch for breakfast if he ended up in Chicago or Detroit. I thought Cody Franson went pretty late the year before that but I don't think Vancouver had a 3rd round pick that year.

Exhibit A, the Canucks' entry draft record.

http://www.hockeydb....dr00008756.html

- apart from Grabner and Ellington, no WHL players drafted in the first 2 rounds in the last decade

- apart from Nedved (not a fan, never was) no top end players taken from the WHL at all since Linden

Highlights from the last quarter century of Canucks drafting from the WHL include Sopel, Schaefer, Scatchard, Brad Ference, Chris McAllister, Dan Kesa, Josh Holden, Zenith Komarniski and who could forget Kyle Freadrich ?

It looks like they haven't been targeting players in the WHL early at all and when they did, unless it was a can't miss prospect like Linden, all they could manage was a few journeymen and a lot of duds. Big waste of a local resource.

• 11 months later...

With the new realignment at least being better in a geographic sense, I'd be quite fine with Phoenix being moved to Quebec City.

I loved their logo and jersey and think the Habs-Nordiques rivalry was awesome. But also, look at how much better it is when you watch Jets games compared to Thrashers games. It's hard to believe they're the same team simply because I'm not used to seeing that rabid support for that team. The Thrashers and Coyotes had the most lacklustre support in the whole league. Fast-forward one year, and the Jets are now a team with a packed, crazed arena, game in and game out.

I bet certain players will whine about the climate and language change, but you don't think they'll love hearing a home crowd roar for once?

on the contrary I think Winnipeg jets did a great job , they found a way to keep their identity and modernize/upgrade their jersey, I really love their new jersey, love the colors, love the logo and the design with stripes and different shades of blue !

Archived