The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report(s)] Zach Parise Discussion thread

I am all in favour of having Parise with the Canucks, assuming some sort of deal can be worked out where he is signed for a fairly lengthy term and at a reasonable price (ie. some kind of front end load contract).

I do see a bit of a problem with the package going to NJ.

1.) NJ has about $7 million in cap space. You are offering them almost $12 million in player salaries. and taking nothing back (Parise isn't part of their current payroll being an RFA).

2.) Raymond might not be available due to his back injury. I'm not sure if NJ would accept him if there's a chance he isn't ready to go at game one.

3.) Samuelsson does give them experience etc. He is also 35 yrs old. While I do believe he would be attractive to a rebuilding team, I suspect he's not that attractive an option to a rebuilding team at NJ's level. I suspect they could flip him for a pick if they wanted to dump his salary.

4.) Hodgson could be valuable to NJ. While I do think Hodgson will get traded rather than be a life-long Canuck, I would hope the Canucks could get more for him.

regards,

G.

“I’m sure that nobody wants that to happen,” Parise said. “No one wants it to drag out all the way to arbitration. I don’t think a player wants to go to arbitration. I don’t think an organization wants to take someone to arbitration at the end of the day. Maybe something like that happens, but of course we don’t want to.”

Just wondering.

When a potential RFA goes into arbitration, I understand that the 29 other teams cannot offer an offer sheet to Parise.

I also know that the contract terms determined by the arbitrator is concrete and that it cannot be changed by the team or the player.

However, I am unsure whether the team can trade a player under arbitration during and/or after the process.

story_left_arrow.gifstory_right_arrow.gifText SizeNEWARK, N.J. -- The New Jersey Devils have filed for arbitration with restricted free-agent Zach Parise.

Devils president and general manager Lou Lamoriello says the NHL team made the move to protect its rights, adding it will continue to work to sign the star left wing to a long-term contract.

The move means that Parise will be awarded a one-year contract in arbitration and become unrestricted July 1, 2012, unless he reaches a new deal with New Jersey.

Parise missed most of this past season after having surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his right knee in early November. He returned late in the season for a game.

Prior to his injury, Parise had been the catalyst of the Devils' offence for four seasons, scoring 146 goals.

Lamoriello gave no clues when the Devils will hire a coach to replace the retired Jacques Lemaire.

Archived