The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report(s)] Zach Parise Discussion thread

I think this is a case of over valuing our players and under valuing Zach Parise..

This guy is a legitimate puck hawk and can be an easy 90 point player year in and year out. Look at the numbers he has put up with the Devils, a team who over the years has had a defence first mentality and zero legitimate puck moving defenceman. In my opinion, it would take ALOT to get Parise here...

To New Jersey Devils

Van 2011 1st rnd pick

Mason Raymond

Cory Schneider

Cody Hodgson

Yann Sauve

To Vancouver

Zach Parise

2011 3rd rnd pick

The thing is if MG does trade Cody, it may seem hypocritical since MG wants to develop players within the system and has stated that on numerous occassions. I understand Parise is a young talent, and personally I would love to have him even if we have to give up Cody, but from MG's point of view I don't think he can do that without looking like Brian Burke with the Kessel situation.

The thing is if MG does trade Cody, it may seem hypocritical since MG wants to develop players within the system and has stated that on numerous occassions. I understand Parise is a young talent, and personally I would love to have him even if we have to give up Cody, but from MG's point of view I don't think he can do that without looking like Brian Burke with the Kessel situation.

I'm not. I'm saying MG will be very reluctant to move Hodgson since he advocates building from within / developing your own drafted players. I'm not saying we don't need to trade Cody for Parise, because I'm 100% sure we would need to give up our best prospect for someone like him. Personally I would trade Cody if we can get Parise, but I don't think MG would.

Truel. I actually think Parise > Hossa in this sense due to the age difference. Once again, I personally would do that trade in a heartbeat if we can get Parise to compliment Kes on the 2nd line, and have 2 of the best lines in the game. Raymond's spot would be filled with Zach anyways, and Ballard's spot is essentially filled with the emergence of Tanev, and the main thing that is "lost" is our best prospect in Hodgson.

I would make a deal like Hodgson, Raymond, Samuelsson, Ballard, Schneider, 1st rd pick for Parise + Rolston as cap dump if they need it.

first off wasnt parise injured this year? 2nd when he was playing didnt they have him on the 2nd line because of kovalchuck?

i obviously dont follow the devs but i swear i remember this.

i think new jersey might be undervaluing parise as well... and they are in a semi rebuild mode, where they just had one of the worst seasons. but because it is a semi rebuild mode they can add a piece or two like schneider and samuelsson for example (and maybe another defenseman) and they become a more well rounded team looking to make the playoffs.

we need to get tougher. Parise is going to give us skill, not toughness. For what we have to give up to get Parise, I'd rather go after a tough skilled forward who can wack and hack and score and do the dirty stuff for the Sedins, I'll toss in a few names

Byfuglien - enemy numero 1

Andrew Ladd - captain of Winnipeg

David Backes - huge interest in the past, i see a possibility here.

Troy Brouwer - no

we need to get tougher. Parise is going to give us skill, not toughness. For what we have to give up to get Parise, I'd rather go after a tough skilled forward who can wack and hack and score and do the dirty stuff for the Sedins, I'll toss in a few names

Byfuglien

Andrew Ladd

David Backes

Troy Brouwer

So basically anyone that ever pissed the Canucks off. Might as well throw Marchand to the list. :D

In case you are wondering, no that won't work. The Hawks Eager is very different from the Sharks Eager because refs will treat you differently depending on the team you are on. If we get a goon the refs will just blow him down, making him useless.

first off wasnt parise injured this year? 2nd when he was playing didnt they have him on the 2nd line because of kovalchuck?

i obviously dont follow the devs but i swear i remember this.

i think new jersey might be undervaluing parise as well... and they are in a semi rebuild mode, where they just had one of the worst seasons. but because it is a semi rebuild mode they can add a piece or two like schneider and samuelsson for example (and maybe another defenseman) and they become a more well rounded team looking to make the playoffs.

[yt]

[ /yt]

parise in the video reminds m of patrick kane and he has some moves of pavel bure especially in the shootouts at the end of video

if canucks would want a sniper, parise is a great choice but would prefer a big tough top 6 instead like byfuglien, lucic type of player.

i dont want raymond gone, and im iffy on ballard... i sort of want him to stay so he gets a legit chance to actually play, but on the other hand gillis and AV didnt show any confidence in him at all and he would probably want to be elsewhere

From our package, we actually do offer something that may entice them to give us Parise.

- Cory Schneider gives them at least 1 year to back-up Brodeur and learn the system, and eventually take over the reins as the starting netminder. Brodeur, at 38, won't have toooo many more years left and definitely not when NJ is in a semi-rebuild.

- We provide Ballard, a quality guy that fits their NJD D-core. They use to have Oduya, Paul Martin, which are all mobile dmen that can move the puck. Ballard can fit in nicely with them since right now they don't have a lot of puck-movers signed.

- Forwards-wise, Raymond is responsible defensively (fits their system), and Samuelsson gives them more experience and depth, and Hodgson gives them a promising Center to play with Palmieri and Tedenby as their "future".

I think it is reasonable to give these up to get an allstar player in Parise back to play with Kesler.

This is not about getting rid of Raymond or Ballard. Personally I think Ballard will be great once he doesn't over-control the puck and get it up to our forwards quickly with quick passing.

It is more about paying the price it takes to get someone like Parise into our organization. Like someone else has said, stop overrating our own guys and underrating other teams' players.

I'm trying to go for the angle that since NJ is in the midst of a semi-rebuild, as well as looking at their roster and seeing a lack of depth on all 3 fronts (F/D/G), we have enough depth on all 3 fronts to offer NJ a package that would be reasonable to take.

I'm also accounting for reports of Parise and the management having stalled contract talks and possibility of arbitration. If I was the GM, would I risk getting undesired results from arbitration and letting Parise walk? Or do I get a sure-deal in a decent package which has a youngish former 25 goal scorer with speed, a veteran leader who has cup experience, a 1st round pick, **a highly touted goaltending prospect**, and a top 4 mobile dman?

This is what the NJ lineup has excluding any unsigned RFA/UFA, assuming the cap raises from 59.4M to 62M. [according to CapGeek]

FORWARDS

Ilya Kovalchuk ($6.666m) / Patrik Elias ($6.000m) / David Clarkson ($2.666m)

Mattias Tedenby ($0.875m) / Travis Zajac ($3.887m) / Nick Palmieri ($0.801m)

Jacob Josefson ($0.900m) / Dainius Zubrus ($3.400m) / Brian Rolston ($5.062m)

P-L Leblond ($0.525m) / Dave Steckel ($1.100m) / Rod Pelley ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN

Anton Volchenkov ($4.250m) / Henrik Tallinder ($3.375m)

Colin White ($3.000m) / Bryce Salvador ($2.900m)

Mark Fayne ($0.542m) / Alexander Urbom ($0.856m)

GOALTENDERS

Martin Brodeur ($5.200m) / Keith Kinkaid ($0.640m)

BUYOUTS: Jay Pandolfo ($0.833m) / Andrew Peters ($0.166m)

SALARY CAP: $62,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $54,199,168; BONUSES: $550,000

CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $7,800,832

NOTABLE FA: Andy Greene (UFA), Zach Parise (RFA)

- Assuming Brodeur retires eitehr this year or after the current contract ends (end of next year), they have literally no promising goaltenders waiting to take the spot.

- Their D-core is not that top-heavy to begin with, and drops drastically at the 5/6 spots

- Upfront, they have Elias, Kovalchuk, Zajac, Clarkson, and Rolston. All others are prospects, with Elias and Rolston being 35/38 respectively.

From our package, we actually do offer something that may entice them to give us Parise.

- Cory Schneider gives them at least 1 year to back-up Brodeur and learn the system, and eventually take over the reins as the starting netminder. Brodeur, at 38, won't have toooo many more years left and definitely not when NJ is in a semi-rebuild.

- We provide Ballard, a quality guy that fits their NJD D-core. They use to have Oduya, Paul Martin, which are all mobile dmen that can move the puck. Ballard can fit in nicely with them since right now they don't have a lot of puck-movers signed.

- Forwards-wise, Raymond is responsible defensively (fits their system), and Samuelsson gives them more experience and depth, and Hodgson gives them a promising Center to play with Palmieri and Tedenby as their "future".

I think it is reasonable to give these up to get an allstar player in Parise back to play with Kesler.

Archived