The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rioting in Vancouver Tonight

DonLever

Been reading through the Facebook page on the Riot offenders, I couldn't believe the things some of them were doing but 99% of them were clearly caught on camera and many people on Facebook has been reporting them to VPD. There's a video filming all of it, and at one point it showed a girl kicking and punching people away from a car which I assumed was her's and she kicks one guy in the groin when he attempted to set it on fire.

Look for "report canuck riot morons" on Facebook.

What a joke!

The great Vancouver Canucks take us to the Cup final and a few idiots decide to destroy the city because we didn't win. When I was growing up, Vancouver could never win the Cup. I never felt pain during the playoffs because Vancouver couldn't win. I've been living in Australia for quite a few years but this the first time I felt it was our Cup. (When I was living in Vancouver, during our last Cup final, my friends followed an enormous amount of rituals before each game because we believed the Canucks needed our help).

What a joy beating the Blackhawks. It was a joy watching the Canucks play so well through the next two rounds. The finals was both pain and pleasure. I would never feel the pain of the Canucks loss if they didn't play so well and make the final. I only feel the pain because of all the pleasure our team gave us.

What a joke a few idiots decide to riot because we lost.

The rioters are not Canuck fans. They should have their cut off.

What a joke!

The great Vancouver Canucks take us to the Cup final and a few idiots decide to destroy the city because we didn't win. When I was growing up, Vancouver could never win the Cup. I never felt pain during the playoffs because Vancouver couldn't win. I've been living in Australia for quite a few years but this the first time I felt it was our Cup. (When I was living in Vancouver, during our last Cup final, my friends followed an enormous amount of rituals before each game because we believed the Canucks needed our help).

What a joy beating the Blackhawks. It was a joy watching the Canucks play so well through the next two rounds. The finals was both pain and pleasure. I would never feel the pain of the Canucks loss if they didn't play so well and make the final. I only feel the pain because of all the pleasure our team gave us.

What a joke a few idiots decide to riot because we lost.

The rioters are not Canuck fans. They should have their cut off.

The press across the continent vilified the Canucks as a dirty pack of goons. All this riot bull just reinforces that stereotype.

Yes, it was started by a small bunch of brain-dead thugs, but there were more than enough idiotic fans just waiting for the chance to jump in.

Maybe this city doesn't deserve a Stanley Cup. Maybe we don't even deserve a team.

What a shame and a terrible way to end what was a great season for the canucks.

Its clear that the people who started the riots were not hockey fans and were out to cause mayhem win or lose and were even disguising themselves with canucks atire. And then the bandwagon types and drunks also decide to jump in for kicks which added to the overall crowd getting out of hand.

-What gets me even more upset is that there are CDC members who started topics calling for rioting and trying to rally people here to go downtown and particpate. Thankfully those threads were deleted or locked fairly quickly.

and furthermore then there are more CDC members that have been bragging about how they also participated in the riots and think its funny to poke fun at the situation.

The more its tolerated the more it makes the online canucks community also look bad and be lumped in with these clowns.

-The question is should these types of members be banned or suspended for trying to incite violence and contributing to the hooliganism? where do we draw the line?

-What gets me even more upset is that there are CDC members who started topics calling for rioting and trying to rally people here to go downtown and particpate. Thankfully those threads were deleted or locked fairly quickly.

and furthermore then there are more CDC members that have been bragging about how they also participated in the riots and think its funny to poke fun at the situation.

The more its tolerated the more it makes the online canucks community also look bad and be lumped in with these clowns.

-The question is should these types of members be banned or suspended for trying to incite violence and contributing to the hooliganism? where do we draw the line?

I was in downtown Vancouver tonight. A police car parked next to The Bay. Within minutes, it was covered with Post-It notes of thanks.

5841333915_0f07a2b0ba.jpg

vancouver-car2 by BuckyHermit, on Flickr

5841882554_d8a8b8cdaa.jpg

vancouver-car1 by BuckyHermit, on Flickr

Eventually the 2 officers came back. The crowd gave them a huge round of applause... and then the officers realized that their car's not going anywhere, lol. They decided to just get their stuff and leave it there overnight since the thank-you notes were pouring in fast and furious; they hitched a ride back with other officers.

The police/people overseeing the viewing party at georgia and hamilton are partly to blame for this. I know people are responsible for their own actions, but it was WAY TOO OVERCROWDED!!!! I have been there for the other games and it wasn't never that bad. They should have stopped letting in people way sooner. Even before the game started people could barely move and were arguing when people shoved through each other.

At the 2nd intermission I left. I knew it was going to get brutal. Edited after removing unconfirmed sources about the viaduct incident... :( People in the ER, I hope you make it out ok.

Don't blame the cops. They had one hand tied behind their backs. If you want to blame anymore, blame the mayor, whose brilliant idea was to have a "party city," so he encouraged masses of people to flood the downtown core at several venues. The real Canucks fans and the families saw what was going to happen and left right after the game (or before the end) and got out of there like sane individuals. If you want to participate in a government-sanctioned event, you should have had to present ID and declare yourself before entering the venue, like any other event like the Cloverdale Rodeo. If it's being done right here or abroad, it's probably NOT being done by the government. What the clean up and the campaign to bring these criminals to justice proves is that individuals who care about their community can do a much better job than the government. The politicians continue to fail us. I mean, it was Gregor's idea to have this giant, undocumented party and after the Olympics, he had to have known the risks. As expected, the hooligans showed up and everything went down hill. If you don't learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it.

Why do you need to plan when you are sure there will not be a riot?

“There’s not going to be a riot.”

Those were the words of Police Chief Jim Chu a few hours before the puck dropped at Rogers Arena Wednesday night.

He spoke to the Courier after a Vancouver Police Board meeting at the Cambie Street police station, where the board had discussed policing the Vancouver Canucks playoff run.

“Whether win or lose, we’ll get through it,” the chief added.

Then it was city manager Penny Ballem’s turn.

Standing near the intersection of Richards and Georgia, wearing a Canucks jersey and connected to her cellphone via earphones, she downplayed the possibility of a riot.

At the time, the Boston Bruins were up 3-0 and crowds of dejected fans were heading up Georgia Street past Ballem. They were leaving the so-called fan zones where tens of thousands watched the game on huge screens positioned around the CBC building and Vancouver Public Library.

Are you concerned the 1994 Stanley Cup riot will repeat itself?

“This city has matured so much since then,” Ballem said of the riot that occurred after the Canucks lost to the New York Rangers in another Game 7. “We’ve really learned a lot and I think there’s a very different sense of how important it is not to do that. This is a big crowd and there’re a lot of people downtown. We’re being very careful but I don’t think anyone thinks there’s going to be anything like that.”

Added Ballem: “Already you see people are not thrilled that we’re losing but they’re not all losing it themselves.”

So what happened?

Chu, Ballem and city officials will be attempting to answer that question as downtown storekeepers count their losses from the heavy looting and motorists sort out why their vehicles were flipped over and set ablaze.

The financial damage is expected to be in the millions of dollars.

Mayor Gregor Robertson, who attended the game, issued a statement last night.

“As mayor, I have never been as disappointed and outraged as I am tonight,” Robertson said. “What we saw on our streets was an absolute disgrace. Thousands of people were scared and threatened, including many young families, by the reckless, violent actions of people who were intent on breaking the law. Senior city staff including police and fire, met for three hours [Wednesday night] at the city’s E-Comm 9-1-1 Centre to review the events that took place and identify immediate next steps. Our focus is ensuring the safety of all of our citizens and allowing people to get back to their daily lives.”

Added Robertson: “We also need to find out what went wrong and how we can prevent it from happening again. In the coming days, tough questions will need to be asked.”

The riot is believed to have started outside the Canada Post building on Georgia Street where two cars were set ablaze. Around the same time, witnesses told the Courier a man had fallen from one of the viaducts.

Riot police slowly moved down Georgia near the CBC building to disperse what was a young, unruly crowd that tossed boards from broken barricades and other objects at police.

Many wrapped T-shirts around their faces to conceal their identities and taunted officers, who spoke to the crowd from a loudspeaker inside a van to urge revelers to disperse. Police used batons to push some of the defiant ones from the plaza at Queen Elizabeth Theatre.

As police cleared the plaza with police dogs, the mob moved into a parking lot adjacent to the theatre, where several young men and women trashed two marked police cars before setting them ablaze.

There were hoots and hollers of euphoria from onlookers, a dozen of whom climbed atop a billboard to watch the scene. Many filmed the destruction before police moved in with the threat of deploying “chemical agents.”

A few blocks away, several cars were flipped over in a parking lot off Richards Street, including a Hummer that was set ablaze. People stopped to have friends take photographs of them in front of the burning vehicle while a man wearing a Luongo jersey, his young son at his side, shouted at them.

“What the hell is wrong with you people? Is this something you’re proud of?”

Firefighters arrived soon after they had extinguished car fires along Seymour Street next to The Bay department store. Around the corner on Dunsmuir Street, a man covered in blood was pacing inside the entrance to the Granville SkyTrain station.

A police officer in the station suddenly grabbed a fire extinguisher and sprinted over to Granville Street where rowdy drunks had just flipped a glass truck on its side. It was about 10:30 p.m. at the time.

The sound of broken glass was constant, with several stores along the 600-block of Granville Street, including Yedina, a women’s clothing store, being looted. Black smoke spewed from alleys and streets.

At 10:45 p.m., police on horseback chased looters down Granville Street as officers on foot and armed with batons made several arrests. Then another car was flipped over in the 500-block of Howe Street to shouts.

Back on Georgia Street, several security guards wearing hardhats stood in front of Hawksworth Restaurant at the Rosewood Hotel Georgia while across the street hundreds of people danced on the steps of the Vancouver Art Gallery.

Someone had set up a music machine while the dancing crowd chanted, “Let’s go riot!” Around the corner, windows were smashed at Sears and at Chapters at Robson and Howe.

Further up Howe at Smithe, a McDonald’s manager, Aleesha, was attempting to get a dozen employees safely out of the downtown core. She spoke to the Courier over the sound of more breaking glass and explosions.

“It’s a disgrace, it’s stupid,” she said. “Why would we do this over the Canucks? There’s no point to it. I just want to get my people home.”

At Davie and Granville, waiters from the Tsui Hang Village Seafood Restaurant stood in front of the corner building to prevent damage to the business.

“It’s terrible,” said Leo, one of the waiters who stood at the restaurant’s front entrance. “I don’t understand it.”

At about 11:30 p.m., Mike Haines, a Kamloops firefighter, wearing a Kesler jersey, was in the intersection at Davie and Granville trying to find friends via his cellphone.

“I’m trying to avoid the problems and connect with the people I came down with,” he said as a helicopter clattered overhead. “It’s not working very well, I don’t know the city very well. I’ve got to say it’s a sad thing. This makes us all look like asses, but there’s bad people everywhere you go. It’s a shame and nobody wanted to see this.”

Before the riot started, the talk on the street was about the game, which the Canucks ended up losing 4-0 in a much-hyped Game 7 showdown.

“I hate to say it but it’s Boston’s Cup,” said Christine Higney as she left Rogers Arena after the third goal. “I’ve always loved Vancouver, it was a once in a lifetime chance for me. I was hoping for a win but Boston deserved it.”

Higney, wearing former Canuck captain Trevor Linden’s jersey, spent $700 on a plane ticket to fly to Vancouver from Fort McMurrary, Alta. She spent $1,800 on a ticket to the game.

Dan Dere from White Rock also left the game early. A season ticket holder since 1991, he was disappointed in a team that he said had no secondary scoring in the series.

“It was a pathetic performance in the second period,” said Dere as others filing out behind him called for Canuck goalie Roberto Luongo to be traded. “Those first three goals weren’t Luongo’s fault. I mean c’mon, it’s a Game 7. Don’t they have any guts or fortitude?”

Then Dere and others filing out of the arena heard what turned out to be cars exploding outside the Canada Post building.

Police didn’t have final estimates of the number of people on the street but called in 100 RCMP and additional officers from neighbouring municipal detachments. Abbotsford police also joined in once the mayhem escalated.

Before the game started, fire and police officials turned back hundreds of people from entering into the fan zones for safety reasons. The mood of the largely young crowd, some fueled by alcohol, was unsettling for the Davidson family of North Vancouver.

“It’s not safe, so we’re going home,” said Tamara Davidson, who briefly lost her 11-year-old son in the crowd. “There’s not enough crowd control. It’s not like the Olympics.”

City manager Penny Ballem agreed the crowd wasn’t like previous nights, where families were able to sit on the streets and watch the game on the screens.

“We know that we’ve done everything possible to make this a place for families to feel comfortable,” Ballem said. “Tonight, there’s not a lot we can do to prevent the numbers of people that want to come… Would I bring my little kids down here tonight? No, but the other night everyone was sitting. I mean it was remarkable.”

Policing costs for the Canucks playoff run and additional expenses related to setting up the fan zones was estimated to run more than $1 million. That will certainly increase with costs associated to the riot. Police will release the final tab when all costs are tabulated.

At the police board meeting earlier in the day, Deputy Chief Warren Lemcke said the vast majority of people police had contact with during the series were from outside Vancouver.

Board member Glenn Wong advised the mayor, who is chairperson of the police board, to get the provincial government to share the tab. Robertson was already rejected by Premier Christy Clark.

“The premier has been definitive on that level—it’s unfortunate,” he told the Courier after the meeting. “Our case is that it’s a provincially significant celebration much like the Olympics. It speaks to the bigger problem of cities not having the sources of revenue that are appropriate for our duties and responsibilities. We have to keep the streets safe and clean. In this case, it creates a budget challenge.”

http://www.vancourier.com/Predictions+from+Vancouver+police+chief+city+manager+smoke/4957572/story.html#ixzz1PVSZVyZX

Don't blame the cops. They had one hand tied behind their backs. If you want to blame anymore, blame the mayor, whose brilliant idea was to have a "party city," so he encouraged masses of people to flood the downtown core at several venues. The real Canucks fans and the families saw what was going to happen and left right after the game (or before the end) and got out of there like sane individuals. If you want to participate in a government-sanctioned event, you should have had to present ID and declare yourself before entering the venue, like any other event like the Cloverdale Rodeo. If it's being done right here or abroad, it's probably NOT being done by the government. What the clean up and the campaign to bring these criminals to justice proves is that individuals who care about their community can do a much better job than the government. The politicians continue to fail us. I mean, it was Gregor's idea to have this giant, undocumented party and after the Olympics, he had to have known the risks. As expected, the hooligans showed up and everything went down hill. If you don't learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it.

Archived