The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Henrik Tommernes | D

b3.

On 12/23/2016 at 10:30 AM, DeltaSwede said:

Yea he's a great SHL defensemen playing for the best team in the league. He's in a great situation and before anyone suggests that the Canucks should bring him back over, he wouldn't come unless he is 100% guaranteed playing time in the NHL. No incentive for him to come over to North America to end up riding the bus in the AHL. 

Just ended the season leading his team and SHL defensemen in points with 39 in 49 games. What are the chances we try to give him a Phillip Larsen type run over here to see what he can do? Although Larsen seems more like a journeyman than Tommernes, whom might feel perfectly comfortable staying where he is. 

5 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

Just ended the season leading his team and SHL defensemen in points with 39 in 49 games. What are the chances we try to give him a Phillip Larsen type run over here to see what he can do? Although Larsen seems more like a journeyman than Tommernes, whom might feel perfectly comfortable staying where he is. 

I think there is a very low chance he comes over to the NHL. Last I heard he is close to signing with Lugano in Switzerland. The NHL is always tempting but I think that ship has sailed for now. He will probably make a very good living in Switzerland and play a much more meaningful role and in a more "guaranteed role" if that makes sense. He's been one of the better defenders in the SHL for a while. Think the KHL will be an option for him moving forwards as well. I think where he is in his career, an "apprentice" type role in the NHL isn't very tempting but who knows, I can't speak for him 

Best defenceman in the SHL and almost put up a point per game which is hard for forwards let alone D-men in that league. At 26 maybe he's just entering his prime now? If I were JB I'd give him a serious offer. Not just a Utica offer but a chance with the big club because God knows this defence will see some changes with maybe Vegas plucking one and JB trading one. You can't ignore a season like the one Tommernes just had if you're any team let alone the one that drafted him. 

I always liked Tommernes. I think had he played his way through the year he asked to be let go of his contract, he'd be a Canucks defenseman. I know the Canucks don't have his rights anymore, but if the Canucks lose Sbisa in the expansion draft, I wouldn't be opposed to trying to sign him again. He'd be a good depth.

Only problem is -- you risk another Larsen experiment if Tommernes doesn't work... so it is risky.

Archived