The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2011-12 Season

canuck2xtreme

Mayfield is in his first year of university, so he is a long term prospect and nothing to really cry over losing, in my opinion.

I disagree. As I scout around for young talent, Scott Mayfield caught my eye. After doing some more research, I believed he was a player I wanted in my organization and have had him targeted for a while. He may not be a slam dunk top prospect, but he's going to be a strong player in the future and building up that sort of depth in the organization is a priority for the Jets, who believe internal depth is key to success in this league. He's not likely to break into the NHL next season, but that doesn't mean he's not a valuable asset.

From HockeysFuture.com

Mayfield is very much a prototypical NHL defenseman in the sense he is a strong skater, at 6'4 has size, and possesses a natural feel for the ice and the puck that can not simply be taught. At the Junior-A level, he is very much a free-wheeling defenseman, jumping up in the rush and dictating the offense from the neutral zone.

The finer points of the 18-year-old's game are for the most part impressive. His transition game is solid, whether he is lugging the puck through two zones or using a short pass to break a forward into the offensive zone. He has a feel for when defenders are bearing down on him and is able to move out of checks while protecting the puck. He also for the most part does a good job controlling the puck along the blue line.

Scheduled to play at DU in 2011, Mayfield will have to simplify his game so he does not take as many risks from the blue line, and leave his forwards exposed.

There are very few serious red flags on Mayfield as a prospect, even fewer he seems to not be aware of. He is listed at 200 pounds but looks to be closer to 185. Regardless, he is relatively close to his ideal playing weight. He still needs to learn to fully utilize his pterodactyl reach and play more physically in his own zone. He needs to shoot the puck more as well and in general play with more poise.

Offensively, Mayfield has a booming point shot and underrated hands when getting in closer to the net. He needs to have more confidence in his shot as well as his passing ability, as he often will look to make the simple play even though he has an open shooting or passing lane.

Going to DU should be beneficial to Mayfield as the program is not only strong, but good at catering to players and their specific talents. In a more structured environment, Mayfield should be able to develop into a top-four defenseman capable of playing over 20 minutes a game and in all situations. With several high profile players at DU signing pro contracts, Mayfield could see top-four minutes right away.

I disagree. As I scout around for young talent, Scott Mayfield caught my eye. After doing some more research, I believed he was a player I wanted in my organization and have had him targeted for a while. He may not be a slam dunk top prospect, but he's going to be a strong player in the future and building up that sort of depth in the organization is a priority for the Jets, who believe internal depth is key to success in this league. He's not likely to break into the NHL next season, but that doesn't mean he's not a valuable asset.

From HockeysFuture.com

Someone PMed me a question a few days ago, and I feel it may be beneficial to have the answer posted in the thread for everyone to see. Some details have been edited for privacy's sake.

Question: A team currently has 3 natural centers playing on his top 3 RW positions. None of which have W or RW eligibility listed. Just wondering how much leeway we are allowed with positions on our rosters and at what point there is a punishment (if at all) and what it would be.

Answer: Having a center play wing, or players on their off-wing, isn't really a huge concern, though it's not preferable. However, were the GM were to make a free agent offer to a center, and the player sees 6 or 7 centers already, it's unlikely the player would be interested in joining that team.

Having defencemen playing forward, or vice versa, or wingers at center, is the more problematic situation. If you have a center you want to play on the wing, that's okay.

but he has a good goalie depth with roloson and gustavsson

after the 1-4 last night... scrivens wont start the next 2 games iguess

but i hope for some more action and some more points from ben untill reimer returns

but 27 points more than auld was worth the decision

i´m wondering who of this tandem scrivens/gustavsson wil lstay in toronto next season

scrivens did pretty well for an undrafted goalie IMO

like i said earlier in the thread...thomas became a nhl starter in the age of 29 or 30...ben is 25 ...so i´m confident

but he has a good goalie depth with roloson and gustavsson

after the 1-4 last night... scrivens wont start the next 2 games iguess

but i hope for some more action and some more points from ben untill reimer returns

but 27 points more than auld was worth the decision

i´m wondering who of this tandem scrivens/gustavsson wil lstay in toronto next season

scrivens did pretty well for an undrafted goalie IMO

like i said earlier in the thread...thomas became a nhl starter in the age of 29 or 30...ben is 25 ...so i´m confident

PREDATORS PRESS RELEASE

Nashville is happy to welcome Alex, Mark and Mattias into the Predator family. We feel that all three of these guys could have an impact on this team. Alex and Mark likely this season.

With Alex we bring in a little bit of competition between the pipes. Alex is an accomplished and competent goaltender in the league. We're not saying that he was brought in to compete with Gusty but he was brought in to compete with Gusty.

We feel Mark will be seeing some time this season very soon. He is going to add something to our team that we have lost given the injury to Crombeen

We hate to see our second round draft pick go but he wasn't playing to potential. We made a commitment to our players old and new before the season started that we were pulling this team out of the garbage dump it was before and making it a contender. We sacrificed our 2012 draft and made a bottom feeder into what looks like a playoff contender.

I can't speak for EOTM but I saw it as having an experienced backup is good insurance to have against a short term injury to Roloson or Gustavsson. If I had the minor league space like he does, it is really a no brainer to carry a guy like Auld, imo. I just didn't have the room after Clemmensen came back right after I claimed Auld from you.

There is still a lot of season left for Scrivens/Gustavsson to prove - or disprove - that they are capable backup options going into next season. I would not be surprised if neither of them is the backup though.....you never know with Burkie....haha I half expect a veteran backup next year because I think the Leafs are going to continue to improve and will be better next season. More consistency from the backup will be needed, imo.

Archived