The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2011-12 Season

canuck2xtreme

Honestly, aside from unsigned prospects, I don't know how people find the time to research any given player to see if they are a free agent. I personally assume with 30 teams here, each of us with 23 players on our roster, that the NHL players who actually are playing are pretty well picked over, so any obscure ones that slip through I just can't see how I would know that unless I take the time to research every name on every depth chart all day long...now i Know I spend too much time online as it is...but even I couldn't find that much spare time.

As for our own players with expiring contracts...how is that going to work?

Honestly, aside from unsigned prospects, I don't know how people find the time to research any given player to see if they are a free agent. I personally assume with 30 teams here, each of us with 23 players on our roster, that the NHL players who actually are playing are pretty well picked over, so any obscure ones that slip through I just can't see how I would know that unless I take the time to research every name on every depth chart all day long...now i Know I spend too much time online as it is...but even I couldn't find that much spare time.

As for our own players with expiring contracts...how is that going to work?

Details will be coming shortly.

EDIT: Well, more in depth details than Venom's post, but yeah, that's pretty much it. :lol:

I thought it was you could enter formal negotiations with one player and start unofficial type discussions with others to get an idea of what they are looking for.

I suspect that this was at least partially in place so that the agents did not get overwhelmed. isn't this the first year with more agents?

For the most part it was so that at least SOME players would make it to free agency. Likely to be similar this year, though the exact parameters have not been determined yet.

And just a side note WAY ahead of time: If an agent tells you that the player is likely to test the UFA waters, don't take it personally. Don't get angry. Don't freak out.

Also, just because a player is testing free agency doesn't mean you're out of the running.

For the most part it was so that at least SOME players would make it to free agency. Likely to be similar this year, though the exact parameters have not been determined yet.

And just a side note WAY ahead of time: If an agent tells you that the player is likely to test the UFA waters, don't take it personally. Don't get angry. Don't freak out.

Also, just because a player is testing free agency doesn't mean you're out of the running.

Under what circumstances will a player be compelled to "test FA waters"? Or will it be somewhat at random. Will it be players in certain situations? Is there a quota of high-level and medium-level players that go to the open market that must be reached? Is it up to each individual agent?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions, just curious.

Under what circumstances will a player be compelled to "test FA waters"? Or will it be somewhat at random. Will it be players in certain situations? Is there a quota of high-level and medium-level players that go to the open market that must be reached? Is it up to each individual agent?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions, just curious.

Players in certain situations where they might be in a lesser role than they'd desire, or situations where a team is heavy with players at their position, does come into play. There is no set quota of players that the agents have targeted. Random... probably isn't the best description, but it's the most apt one I can think of at the moment.

Archived