The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kevin Bieksa Calls On Canucks Fans To Be Louder

hockeyville88

Seriously...people in other hockey markets hate us for good reason. Did you jump on to your computer still wearing your Peter Pan pajamas sucking on a lollipop while you typed this drivel? Of course we need to support our team, and we as consumers do. Check how much this team is worth on the open market right now for proof of that. I tried like crazy to get even one ticket to a playoff game without selling my only child last year, just to experience the incredible vibe and noise that emanated from that building and could be felt like a pulse through ones TV set. I have been to regular season games that were loud and a ton of fun to be at. Those games usually had one or a combination of the following:

A: Lots of hitting

B: Lots of fights

C: Fantastic hockey

D: Lots of character

(Edit) E: Lots of beer

Now lets see...have we seen much of that over the past month? Some of you need to put down the company kool aid, it makes you sound like loonies.

Would love to see people cheering everyday at MY workplace. Even when I wasn't trying my hardest I could demand a loud and supportive cast..course the millions would just be a kicker.

:picard:

I love how people on here resort to idiotic stereotyping and name-calling at the slightest provocation.

Yes, we financially support them

Ok... To make an analogy that you might possibly be able to understand (I am sorry if my chosen profession makes too much money for you) I will use a lawyer. So lets say you are a student aid in a law firm. You paid big bucks for school and had to pay even more to set yourself up for the opportunity to go to a respected firm. One of the lawyers gets a very high profile case. First few days in court go south. What do you do? Complain that they should switch him out for someone else? Say he is overrated and ask why he was chosen in the first place? If rest of the firm cared about the success of the case, they would offer words of encouragement. Are you able to grasp what I am saying?

You are (or seem to be at least) one of the fans that just wants to be entertained by what you watch think it would be sweet to win a cup. I JUST want to see them win a cup. I don't give a crap if they were to play boring hockey and go under .500 for the rest of the season if they turned it on for the playoffs and won (I am not saying they should do that, it was just an example). I think that we should support them no matter how they are doing right now and fully agree with Bieksa.

My first game I went to I sat next to the box and got glared at when I tried cheering on the boys. I was so excited and 9 at the time. It was very disappointing not being able to waive my flag or cheer loud. I did however didnt give a crap when they scored!

Also my other game experience had me sitting by a row of business people who didn't care to cheer but make out and text. While getting sloppy ass drunk then complaining about the goaltending. They weren't even watching the game!

KB and Jim Robson find that hard to believe.

I’m going to end this rant with something Jim Robson told me:

“Sports became a real release or outlet for people in tough times … There was something about sports being an escape, but the people who are suffering financially nowadays couldn’t afford to go to a game.”

And ain’t that the truth.

To every Canucks fan who’ll be watching from home or a pub, I’ll be joining you.

To all the Suits planning to go to Rogers Arena who aren’t really huge Canucks fans – I hope you feel guilty that there are a hundred thousand people who should be there instead of you.

And don’t spill your $8 beer on your $2,000 suit.

I knew playoff tickets were going to be expensive here in Vancouver, but I didn’t think that seats for games in the Stanley Cup Finals would be comparable to the men’s hockey games in the 2010 Olympics.

It came to my attention yesterday that tickets for the SC Finals at Rogers Arena are going for $924. Each. A seat.

That’s half my pay check, and no doubt it’s some people’s ENTIRE pay check! With the cost of living in Vancouver being as high as it is, many fans can’t afford to go to any of the games, which really sucks because this would be the time to see them play; to possibly watch the Canucks make history.

Of course, Canucks tickets are already the most expensive in the NHL during the regular season, so I expected things to get pricey, but $924? Seriously?

This just goes to show how elitist hockey is becoming in the Canadian market. Montreal, Calgary and Toronto have very high pricing for games too, so this isn’t an isolated issue. It’s a problem, really, because this means that only those with a decent amount of disposable income can afford to go to hockey games.

Canucks fans notice how the lower bowl of Rogers Arena is being packed with “suits”, clients of big corporations who are season ticket holders and hand out tickets as perks. This usually makes for a lacklustre audience down below while the more rambunctious fans pack the rafters in the upper bowl, where the seats are considerably cheaper.

Corporations own a fair share of season tickets at Rogers Arena, and season ticket holders get priority for tickets to post-season games. Is it surprising then if the majority of lower bowl crowds are uninterested businessmen fiddling with their iPhones? These people aren’t there to watch hockey. They’re there because someone gave them a free ticket to some hockey game that they should probably check out.

There have been complaints since Round 2 of the playoffs that Rogers Arena has been “too quiet” during games. I agree that some games have seemed pretty dead (most remarkably game 1 against Nashville), but apparently those in the arena say it isn’t so bad, and CBC’s audio doesn’t do justice to the noise level of the crowd.

Either way, is it really any surprise that as ticket prices go up, the crowd gets a bit tamer? I mean, think about the kind of people who can afford tickets – they’re not average fans, that’s for sure. More and more clients, celebrities and high-profile businessmen will be filling Rogers Arena because they can afford it, and I can’t see these people wearing face paint, jerseys and waving their playoff towels around.

It’s unfair, because there are a lot of fantastic, die-hard fans out there who deserve to fill Rogers Arena to the rafters and watch their favourite hockey team go for the Holy Grail of hockey. Instead hundreds of thousands of Canucks fans will be watching from home or a pub because admission’s free there, and beers definitely come cheaper there than their $8 counterparts at Rogers Arena.

There should be some kind of priority seating for die-hard fans at Rogers Arena; the rich, uninterested clients and their partners would be turned away at the door. But that’s not realistic. More and more hockey is becoming all about making money, and the only way to do that is to hike ticket prices, which means slowly but surely, fans at Rogers Arena and around Canada are being replaced by the Suits.

Why? Because the Suits can afford it, not because they really want to watch the Canucks play.

And yes, it’s an absolute shame.

I’m going to end this rant with something Jim Robson told me:

“Sports became a real release or outlet for people in tough times … There was something about sports being an escape, but the people who are suffering financially nowadays couldn’t afford to go to a game.”

And ain’t that the truth.

To every Canucks fan who’ll be watching from home or a pub, I’ll be joining you.

To all the Suits planning to go to Rogers Arena who aren’t really huge Canucks fans – I hope you feel guilty that there are a hundred thousand people who should be there instead of you.

And don’t spill your $8 beer on your $2,000 suit.

Nuck nit for mayor!

To the people on the Island: I'm sorry, but that's a choice you've made so it really isn't relevant in regard to "cost". The fact that you live outside the Lower Mainland and there are costs associated with returning are not the team's fault - it's just part of the deal when you choose to live elsewhere.

The debate over whether or not they deserve fan noise or should even need it aside, I don't understand why people wouldn't want to cheer on their team. Cheering is pretty much our only form of involvement (and no, I'm not counting going to the forum to b*tch about every player after every game because it doesn't actually accomplish anything.) Especially when spending hard earned money on a game, why would you want to sit idly by, waiting for an excuse to let loose and have a good time? Shout for our team, shout for your favorite player, or just shout out some stress, just get involved and MAKE SOME NOISE!

Life is not like that.

Where one lives is not always free will or choice.

My point is hundreds to thousands of Canucks fans would attend games if the corporation made an attempt to package rooms and tickets at reasonable prices.

There are millions of ardent Canucks fans that do not live in Vancouver where a ticket and parking or skytrain is the only cost associated with attending a game.

I just went on to the Canucks website /Ticketmaster and viewed the available tickets to the Oilers game.

Cheapest was $399- $495.

No,I am not going all the way to Vancouver to buy a scalped ticket.

With all associated costs we are talking $800 to see the Edmonton Oilers play a mean nothing game.

Canucks fans live everywhere in B.C,Alberta,the States,etc.

Make it affordable for fans to see the game that live outside of the lower mainland and those fans that pony up half a month's or three quarter's of a month's salary are likely to be enthusiastic.

this is just funny to me. People who are complaining about costs just dont know how to manage their money well. I can understand college students and such but it isn't very hard to scrape together a few hundred dollars. I bet many of you spend that much on eating out or on alcohol in a month.

To the young ones here, take note. Study hard and school and get a well paying job so you dont have to complain like many of the lazy people here.

Life is not like that.

Where one lives is not always free will or choice.

My point is hundreds to thousands of Canucks fans would attend games if the corporation made an attempt to package rooms and tickets at reasonable prices.

There are millions of ardent Canucks fans that do not live in Vancouver where a ticket and parking or skytrain is the only cost associated with attending a game.

I just went on to the Canucks website /Ticketmaster and viewed the available tickets to the Oilers game.

Cheapest was $399- $495.

No,I am not going all the way to Vancouver to buy a scalped ticket.

With all associated costs we are talking $800 to see the Edmonton Oilers play a mean nothing game.

Canucks fans live everywhere in B.C,Alberta,the States,etc.

Make it affordable for fans to see the game that live outside of the lower mainland and those fans that pony up half a month's or three quarter's of a month's salary are likely to be enthusiastic.

There are premium games that are higher priced (HNIC games would likely fall under this category). So pick another game.

And you have to get tickets when they're first released....you're trying to buy tickets now, when they've been on sale for some time. So of course they're limited.

Here's the thing - this is a hot ticket item...you can't decide on a whim "oh, I think I want to go to a Canucks game" and expect tickets to be readily available. Those of us who DO want to go plan ahead and get on it early. You pay less that way.

Save On More Points offers tickets for about $45 each.....but you have to plan ahead.

I have lived here my entire life and part of the reason I stay (despite the very high cost of living here) is so I can attend Canucks/Lions game - it's what I do for entertainment, so I've made the choice to stay. Unfortunately, you're dealing with a team with a huge fanbase of loyal followers - the tickets are in great demand. But you can't whine about "high costs for out of towners" - again, everything you do in life IS a choice, so it's about what's the most important to you.

But you can't whine about "high costs for out of towners" - again, everything you do in life IS a choice, so it's about what's the most important to you.

Deb,I take care of an elderly parent and have a sick brother that requires hospitalization but there is no place for him in 'the system'.

My Mother must care for him but he is nearly 60 and my Mom cannot walk most days now.

Not everything in life is 'a choice'.

There is a life beyond Vancouver for most Canucks fans.

McDeal,take notes.

But you can't whine about "high costs for out of towners" - again, everything you do in life IS a choice, so it's about what's the most important to you.

Deb,I take care of an elderly parent and have a sick brother that requires hospitalization but there is no place for him in 'the system'.

My Mother must care for him but he is nearly 60 and my Mom cannot walk most days now.

Not everything in life is 'a choice'.

There is a life beyond Vancouver for most Canucks fans.

McDeal,take notes.

First of all, let me express my sincere and heartfelt wishes for you and your family.

Believe me, I understand this. I won't go into the details, but I do.

And you're right - sometimes the decisions are made for us and we're dealt the hand we have to play.

In your case, yes....life is unfair and it would be nice if someone like you could catch a break and attend a game. It sounds like you certainly could use a night out like that. So let's eliminate you from "those whining"...as someone legitimately in a position that makes it tough for you to put yourself first.

And damn, if I do get some tickets I'm sending them your way.....

this is just funny to me. People who are complaining about costs just dont know how to manage their money well. I can understand college students and such but it isn't very hard to scrape together a few hundred dollars. I bet many of you spend that much on eating out or on alcohol in a month.

To the young ones here, take note. Study hard and school and get a well paying job so you dont have to complain like many of the lazy people here.

The crowds at GM Place (that's what it'll always be) are pathetic. Just because they aren't wearing suits in the lower bowl doesn't mean they aren't "suits". Just a bunch of lazy, overpaid, disinterested posers who care more about being seen drinking from their Starbucks coffee cups than paying any attention to the freaking game.

It's sickening but true that the Canucks have better fan support on the road than they do at home. Sure they could help by playing better, but that kind of defeats the purpose of home ice advantage. The fans are supposed to be proactive, not only reactive. It's not hard to cheer a goal. It's more important to cheer when they are down a goal.

To the fatcats in the lower bowl who don't cheer and couldn't care less about the game: you are a waste of space and bring shame to the real fans who actually paid for their ticket. The ushers at GM Place should carry tasers and use them on anyone sending texts on their Apple iJunks during the game.

Maybe he took some heat for his comments because he just tweeted this

Got to say...loved the atmosphere last night at RA! The wave, Canucks chants, lots of support!!! Sidenote - Higgy showing abs on tv = fine??

So good job fans who were at the game yesterday! Guess the St Patty's day beers helped :)

Archived