The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis Managing Cory Schneider

J.I.A.H.N

So as I read through all the trade Louie and Cory threads, I started wondering something, so I thought I would put it out to you to consider the possibility.

What if MG has found out what Cory's value is, and it is to his liking. And as the trade dead line passed and Cory's numbers continued to improve, Gillis did not want Cory's numbers to drop, as if he had some stinkers, it might drop his value.

Basically, if you only play him a little, even a blow out won't move the numbers that much. Like I said in other posts, Gillis has had to have some pretty firm talks with 4 or 5 teams about trading Cory and may be waiting to see where the teams that he might trade with end up. He may even wait until after he finds out where the lottery picks end up.

It is risky, but in the end he can always resign him himself and work on trading Louie, which probably has had it's own discussions as I think one discussion leads to the other, when talking top end goalies to other GM's

Anyways, I am just wondering if that could been his plan all along? What is the down side to the plan?

Do you actually think that teams acquire players, especially goaltenders, purely on the basis of their stats? Any team interested in Schneider will have scouted him extensively. There are many good goalies in this league with not so good stats simply because of the defences infront of them.

MG might let AV know how many games he would like to see Schneids start down the stretch but GM's usually don't get involved in the game to game coaching decisions...it's what they hire coaches for. If a GM has to dictate to the coach it is usually a sign of trouble (then again I thought the same when the goaltender was dictating to the coach).

....and if Lou continues his inconsistant play...you trade your ace (schneider) in the hole??? Not going to happen !! Lou has this season to get er done...and then you'll see changes !!L ous 18th and 21st in goalie stats on a 3rd place team ...the writings on the wall...in UPPER CASE !!

Do you actually think that teams acquire players, especially goaltenders, purely on the basis of their stats? Any team interested in Schneider will have scouted him extensively. There are many good goalies in this league with not so good stats simply because of the defences infront of them.

I think everyone has already seen him in the spotlight in a couple big games this year, and if they were interested then, would have followed up. Not sure they'd be THAT amazed if he beat the worst team in the league...

some of you REALLLLY DON'T understand contracts and no movement/trade clauses. That being said and completely off topic....I think the team will get their kick in the face/reality check on Wednesday March 21st, we either sink or swim and I personally believe that day will set the tone for what we do.

We don't need an 'expensive power forward' because we can't afford one under the cap.  What we need is a cheap power forward that plays like an expensive one - in either case, that is not Nash.  However, if we dump 5.3 mil of cap (yeah, I know, NTC, but if the crowd gets on Lou, he will wish he was out of here - and right now, he is on a collision course with that fate). And re-sign Schneider reasonably, we would be 2-3 mil closer to your dream.

Not that its going to happen but Cory should be our playoff goalie imagine if he does great which i do believe he can. His trade value would just be crazy not that i want to see him go or anything but he doesn't want to wait 8-10 years to be a starter lol.

imagine if Lui wins the 16th game. that is more likely than cory taking the team to the end and win it all. cory is a great backup if lui falters in the short term. cory blew his only start last yr, and has never won or competed in anything on a high level (jr, international). the only thing to speak of is ahl playoffs, but even then he didn't win it. great regular season stats dont mean much when the pressure is on.

When you've got a goalie with a history of playoff collapses vs. a goalie without playoff experience I would take the rookie every time. There have been so many amazing playoff performances by goalies that had little or no playoff experience at the time. Look no further than Roberto Luongo. If experience is such a huge factor for goaltenders, why was Luongo's first post-season so amazing when all his others have seen him have catastrophic multi-game collapses?

Archived