The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Duncan Keith Suspended 5 Games

The Kassassin Train

Hold on, so the league asks Keith to attend an in-person hearing so that they can suspend him for 6 or more games, but because of his NHLPA right he declines and instead gets an over-the-phone hearing so he can be suspended for a maximum of 5 games?

Did I understand that correctly? WTF is this BS?!? If the NHL is gonna throw the book at him then throw the book at his a**!

I know this because he's never done anything like this in the past. He IS a clean player. One moment, one bad hit, one bad decision was all that it was. I hope Daniel is OK, and he's back for the playoffs. I guarantee you that Keith will learn from his mistake, and never do something like that again.

I guess I can force myself to be satisified with 5 games.

Despite the fact that the hit was incredibly idiotic and vicious in nature - Keith IS a first time offender. Like Shanahan said, this is the first time in 7 years that he's ever done anything this egregious. Normally, Shanahan has reserved the 5+ game suspensions for the repeat offenders.

However, saying that - I wasn't satisfied with Shanahan's video. Unlike the Marchand video where he completely vilifies Marchand, he didn't do the same with Keith despite the hit having malcious intent. I was looking forward to that :(

Also, it still bugs me that Shanahan suspends based on injury. He should suspend the act and not the outcome. Based on Doan's history and his act - elbowing to the head, he should have also gotten 5 games. Yet, because Benn wasn't injured - he gives him only 3. So now this makes me wonder, what is the NHL really thinking? How bad is Keith's hit if it doesn't cause injury? I think it should still be 5 games - but knowing the league, if Danny hadn't been injured, then Keith probably doesn't get 5 even when his act warrants it. -_-

Shanahan should suspend the act itself.

Isn't this part of the reason we got some guy like Kassian? We wanted to protect our Sedins. Obviously, other teams don't care and they will take runs at the Sedins anyway. I hope he is okay - that's the most important thing.

I also hope we don't see a Bertuzzi incident either.

If change is not forthcoming to set this league straight and regain their integrity, Canadian teams need to deviate and separate themselves from this bush league and create their own, and see how long the league lasts without their revenue and audience. I would easily transition to a new league that can be trusted and respected, and leave the WWE goon league to their own.

You guys aren't evaluating the situation correctly.

What does Daniel Sedin's length of injury have to do with the suspension length?

You suspend based on the action, not the result. I thought everyone wanted this? In fact it's been argued for years now.

5 games is enough, even if it's just a chance to rest Keith. The NHL isn't going to look at it as rest, but rather just 5 games.

Yep, reminds me of a Pronger suspension a few years ago - he got suspended for 8 games, when his team was already in the clear for a playoff spot. So he got to rest, and come back in time for the playoffs. It didn't do him any favours as Anaheim was out in the 1st round, but it was still garbage. The best reason to play with honour is because you don't want to cost your team by being suspended. Chicago will likely make the playoffs, and Keith will be back in time for them.

Hopefully such a light suspension means that Daniel is only out up to a week.

I love how Shanny spends as much time on the puck taking a strange bounce as he does on the direct contact to the head.

Stupid puck, give it 5 games. I love hockey but I hate this league! Absolutely brutal explanation, closing the gap, ya that's what Keith does on a regular basis, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that this was indisputably a preditory hit on an unsuspecting player.

Isn't this part of the reason we got some guy like Kassian? We wanted to protect our Sedins. Obviously, other teams don't care and they will take runs at the Sedins anyway. I hope he is okay - that's the most important thing.

I also hope we don't see a Bertuzzi incident either.

More Moronic NHL Crap

Rome get 4 Stanley Cup Final games for a Clean .8 sec late hit, as an example to show how Shannahan is clamping down ??

(Seriously,are we faster thinking than Computers now,that we can evaluate and skate away while moving forward in .8 sec)?

Keith gets 5 Meaningless games ,that the Hawks may have rested him for in preparations for the playoffs anyways,for a deliberate premeditated head shot to injure,when the player was Never even near the puck?

Ya, those NHL conspiracy theories against the Canucks,have No merit whatsoever

1 playoff suspension is better than 5 + regular season games!

damm nhl...just hope the canucks face the hawks somehow in the playoffs...time to really embrace the hate and just give ass whoopings to these hawks especially keith.

Archived