The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Duncan Keith Suspended 5 Games

The Kassassin Train

Regarding the suspension, i think Brendan Shanahan has his hands tied on this one. Make it too low, and the fans and media will be howling for blood. Make it too high, and Shanahan is inadvertently saying that the referees are not doing their job he has to keep up the appearance that the refs and disciplinary committee are on the same page. Giving Keith a 5+ game suspension is the equivalent of saying the on ice officials made the wrong call, and i think there is a certain pressure for Shanahan to at least give the appearance of backing the decisions of the on ice officials, who only thought a minor penalty would suffice.

It would have been so much easier if the refs had simply tossed Keith out, gave the nucks a 5 min major, or simply call Daniel on his initial shoulder to head head on Keith.

I wonder how many minutes Seabrook logs for the next five games. If I was a team playing the hawks I'd be hitting Seabrook every chance i get to wear him down as they won't have Keith's minutes to back him up.

Depending on the severity of Sedin's injury will determine my reaction to the sentence imposed on Duncan. Let's say that Danny will miss 4 to 6 games and be back to his normal self. Then the sentence is just. But if Danny suffers more than that, then the sentence is a joke.

We all know that Duncan's hit was a reaction to Daniel hit on Duncan earlier in the game. I didn't see that hit. Nor is it on You Tube. Can someone point me to some footage of that hit? My point is this: We all know that the Sedin's are mocked in the league as being soft, sisters etc etc. The Canucks are hated in the league for our diving, biting and bickering. Further to that, and in the mind of the Chicago Blackhawks, we're even more hated for beating them last year. Let's not forget the hit on Seabrook. There's plenty of ammunition in the minds of the Blackhawks when it comes to hatred for the Canucks. So when Daniel throws a hit on Keith, that's just added fuel to the already blazing fire. What happens next? Keith nails Daniel in a deliberate elbow to the face. That hit was pretty much as bad as the Bertuzzi sucker punch in terms of intent. The result, obviously, wasn't as severe.

I digress... I know you maybe thinking that I'm implying that, if it wasn't for Sedin's hit on Keith, this wouldn't have happened. Yes and no.

So we lose our top scorer for x amount of games, and they lose their top defenseman for 5 games. x is the variable. Let's see how long that is. But that shouldn't matter. You know why? Because, what the hell, Bieksa should do the same thing to Hossa. If it's 5 games who cares? We could easily afford that. Especially if it means taking Hossa out for the rest of the season and playoffs!

My ultimate point is that the NHL is freaking dumb when it comes to this sort of thing. It's like serving soft penalties to thieves. If you steal a car and get caught, you spend a night in jail and then you're free. I know that Keith has to be more careful now because if he does this again, he'll be a repeat offender and suffer a tougher penalty next time around. But the damage is already done. This sends a bad message to players who are not repeat offenders:

Hey, 5 games for taking out a top scorer on a team? Sure! Why doesn't Rome take out Lucic? Why doesn't Gragnianni take out Doan? If it means 5 games for Rome or Gragnianni on exchange for potentially season ending concussions for Lucic or Doan? Great deal.

C'mon, this isn't the WWF. The NHL still has a way to go when it comes to this nonsense.

Someone might tell me, "hey, if you don't like it, watch soccer". That's BS, because you can still maintain hockey's toughness without the blatant elbows to the head. There are plenty of other ways to deliver a good entertaining hit on your opposition without running the risk of giving that player a potential ending to his career. We need star players in this league.

Regarding the suspension, i think Brendan Shanahan has his hands tied on this one. Make it too low, and the fans and media will be howling for blood. Make it too high, and Shanahan is inadvertently saying that the referees are not doing their job he has to keep up the appearance that the refs and disciplinary committee are on the same page. Giving Keith a 5+ game suspension is the equivalent of saying the on ice officials made the wrong call, and i think there is a certain pressure for Shanahan to at least give the appearance of backing the decisions of the on ice officials, who only thought a minor penalty would suffice.

It would have been so much easier if the refs had simply tossed Keith out, gave the nucks a 5 min major, or simply call Daniel on his initial shoulder to head head on Keith.

Should've been 8..... 7 regular season games +1 Playoff game would've been right on the money but oh well, no surprise really that the NHL gets it wrong again... I'm not whining or crying like alot of CDC'ers just saying it's dissapointing to say the least. This can not be considered a strong detterent to the next would be predator out there.

Best way to make them pay boys is to win it all, that's all ya can do is play through the bullsh**

Keith's hit was 'dangerous, reckless, and caused injury' says Shanahan. It wasn't a case of being reckless, which suggests the hit was unintentional. It was blatant and premeditated, so it should've been worth way more than 5 games. Shanahan failed to make this distinction.

Merging the judgement with pre-judgement thread is stupid. had to take sooo long to find the responses to the judgement geez.... think about it mods. Judgement should be a new thread instead of changing the thread title to reflect a new occurence, but the first many pages are about something from days ago.... older than the subject/title.... understand?

Well the refs aren't doing their jobs properly anyways, so why give them a special treatment? Sometimes you need to embarrass them so that they can start paying attention to their job and handing out penalties properly. Even better yet, hire new refs and train them properly.

The refs in this league are laughable. 2 mins for a headshot made by Keith to Danny and he didn't even get kicked out of the game? What a joke! Then again, it isn't surprising because everything about this league is a joke!

5 meaningless games for Keith's dangerous play is as stupid as it gets. What is even more laughable is Shanahan's claim of being serious about headshots. What does 5 games do for someone who will miss god knows how many games especially now that playoffs is in two weeks because of concussion? If he is serious about headshots, then take drastic measures. 5 games of someone who has done this type of play before (and didn't get suspended) is a slap on the wrist.

I can't wait for Keith to come back to RA. I want someone in this team to pummel his ass out of our building.

Archived