The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Officiating For The Scp (How Fair And Balanced Will It Be?)

spinarama

But when canucks finally get their pp's it is absolute garbage right now and no one can deny that. Canucks need to take advantage of the few opportunities they actually do get. Canucks did not get calls their way in the SCF last season, but people need to remember that our pp scored only 1 goal in the pp's they got. PP's only good if you can score on it.

The officiating will be the same in the playoffs as right now... I think they need to have better control over the scrums after the whistle. Too many players get away with the little shots they give in the scrums. If a player gives a shot after the whistle, take the instigator to the box. Gives the players a deterrent from cheap shots, and will keep the lid on the game. Simple effective way of dealing with it.

Sorry but I don't have a lot of confidence about unbaised reffing. When it makes no economic sense for a western team (particularly a Canadian western team) to win the Stanley Cup the odds are stacked against it. Not only does it pay big bucks for eastern USA teams to win but it raises the NHL within major league sports. This league is dominated by eastern owners. I went on about this last spring and still believe it to be so.

That said I felt Van lost to the Bruins because of injuries, ice strategy and the reffing. They might have overcome it all by forcing the reffing to acknowledge and react to the Bruins by having challenged the Bruins by using more physical play. If the injury list was as bad as suggested that might not have been possible. My read seems to be vindicated by MG beefing up on the physical side in the off season, leaving AV with more options come playoffs.

I see Horton might be gone for the season due to concussion. Maybe it wasn't Rome's hit afterall. Reconsider his 0.5 second late hit, 4 game suspension against the Sedin hit and 5 game suspension. Think about it!

Why does the NHL have a rule book if they aren't ensuring that their officials are willing to enforce them?

Hell, those rules seem to change every 5 minutes these days according to the officials on the ice. If something is a rule at the beginning of a game, it is still a rule to be enforced at the 10 minute mark of the first period, in the second period, in the third and in OT. The players on the ice should be able to play hockey without having to try and figure out what the rules will be on their shift.

I hate to sound like there's a conspiracy afoot but we have ALL seen that in some games, the appearance is given that depending on what colour the sweater is, it depends on who is going to get the call. That's a fact, not a some fantasy dreamed up.

My expectation for this Stanley Cup Playoffs? We're going to get the same crap officiating as last year, incompetent and inconsistent. At least consistently bad is something players can adjust their game to, having the rules that are enforced on the ice change every 5 minutes is just plain incompetence.

Game management is killing this game. If teams cannot compete with each other on the ice, having the officials 'manage' it just cheapens it. Let the better team win, the one who plays with skill and according to the rulebook.

I don't think that the refs intentionally favour one team over another, however,

I must say that the way the refs seem to "change the rules" or at least change how they enforce them during the playoffs does negatively affect the Canucks in particular.

The refs do call less holding, hooking and the like, and they DEFINITELY call less rough stuff after the whistles.

The Canucks are a fast, skilled team who thrives on powerplay. If the hooking and holding and rough stuff is not called (as it usually is not in the playoffs), then the Canucks have more to lose than other teams. And therefore, it looks as though the refs have a bias against them.

Basically I expect it to be as inconsistent as always. This will be every game, not just the Canuck games. They will call the game according to who is leading the game and series. A penalty in one period will not be a penalty in another. That is the biggest problem with the whole reffing system. As you get deeper into the playoffs, there will be less and less penalties.

NHL Referees should be called NHL directors and the NHL rules should be called NHL guidelines. I know they keep stating that they do not want to determine the outcome of a game but guess what, if you don't call a blatant trip that is against the rules, you just affected the outcome of the game. Everyone knows what the rules are and it's a lot easier to follow rules then guess which rules will apply when. That to me is determining the outcome of the game.

There is definatly a key in staying diciplined in the first round when everything is called , once your past that you can get away with anything. Regardless it makes for exciting hockey when the refs put away the whistles, as long as they don't turn such a blind eye to attempts to injure.

When Columbus and Carolina have the highest differential of penalties for and penalties against, you know that the refereeing isn't neutral, or consistently inconsistent. There is a method in the madness. It's affirmative action, NHL style: struggling American franchises and original 6 teams are the beneficiaries. The Canucks are one of the victims of NHL policy in this regard, but not the only one (so I'm not a paranoid conspiracy theorist, just a conspiracy theorist). As was pointed out on another recent thread, the Avalanche get by far the worst treatment from the referees, and nobody has argued that they are that much dirtier than anyone else. It's time to face facts: the NHL's "game management" strategies extend well beyond individual games and do cumulate systematically in favour of some teams and against others in ways that cannot be explained by how the teams actually play. Our treatment in last year's playoffs, particularly the series with the Hawks and the Bruins, was appalingly biased.

Archived