The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Samuel Påhlsson

uber_pwnzor

It's what I've said since the trade.

The guy is so damn strong along the boards he barely ever loses a battle & in the playoffs when the games get a bit more grindy it'll be even more noticeable.

There's a reason he's made it to the finals twice and the conference finals once out of four playoff appearances.

Plus, he has untapped offensive potential (which he showed pre-NHL and lockout) which comes in handy when having him in situations like the goal against Colorado tonight - imagine if that was stonehands Josh Green or Ryan Johnson instead..

Yeah that was a pretty underrated trade by Gillis. I knew about his defensive shutdown ability but he has even shown some offensive skill, like that sick behind the back pass to Higgins. I think the change of scenery (going to a contender) really helped him.

Best of all, he knows how to throw big hits. For some reason he finishes his hits a lot more than other guys and they look painful, similar to Edler's hits. Can't wait for him to really shine in the playoffs.

What disappoints me is that Pahlsson is out-playing Kassian right now. If we kept Hodgson, we would have had a gritty bottom-6 with Pahlsson and plenty of skill and talent as well.

While I like the Pahlsson deal, theHodgson deal not so much.

last 5 games, after Coho got used to his new team, has outscored Hank, Kes, Kas and Pahlsson combined.

and has 1 less shot than those 4 combined.

Hank 3assists 3 shots +1, 8pim

Kess 0 points 15 shots +0, 0pim

Pahl 3 points 2 shots +2, 6 pim

Kass 0 points 5 shots +2 ,

Coho 7points 24 shots +3 0pim

in the last 5 games Coho 7 points , Canucks 9goals.

As much as I like Pahlsson I would have rather kept Coho and Sulzer and traded for Parros or McGrattontyre

Oversimplified.

Here is the counterpoint / stat in response - in the last five games, Hodgson has been on the ice for as many goals scored by the Sabres opposition as every player on the Vancouver Canucks combined... five games...take the ten previous and Hodgson looks like an AHL center -neither say a whole lot. He is a good player, but was anything but the key to the Canucks (or Sabres) success. He is not as big a deal as his agent and the Gallaghers have made him out to be.

The Canucks are focusing on team defense with two rookie blueliners in the lineup, Ballard out, and cycling vets like Salo and Bieksa out for a rest. Shutouts depend upon centers like Kes, Hank, Pahl playing well and supporting their defensemen.

if you like the Pahlsson deal - it was made to replace Hodgson - so not liking the Hodgson deal doesn't make a whole lot of sense - if there wasn't enough ice time for him before the Pahlsson deal....

There are plenty of Hodgson threads to lament his departure, and really it has been more than overdone. The third line can certainly prevent as much scoring as it was creating before the deal, and ironically, they are spending a lot of time in the other end of the ice, and are still creating scoring chances...

Are you jokin with me Oldnews?

Coho has been on for 1 ga by Sabres ops

While the Canucks have not.

ya gots to get up a lil earlier in th mornin fer me t fall fer that 1.

Hodgson has one thing the Canucks lack, vision &a shot

Hank has vision but no shot

Kesler has shot but not vision.

The Canucks are struggling to score and the PP has gone dry.

Does the 2nd unit have a single goal since Coho left?

Do you like Raymond and Kassien on the 1st line?

Is Kassien better TODAY than Weise, Bitz, Oreo or any of the big men Gillis did not trade for?

Is Gragnani better today than Sulzer?

Two trades, one made them better defensively and the other waisted scoring depth.

Pahlsson has been rock solid since he was acquired and our third line is looking really good right now. I always felt that the third line is the pinnacle line during the playoffs as that line has a lot of responsibility, more so than the first line. Not only are they expected to shutdown the other teams top line, play physical and forecheck, they are also relied upon to provided secondary scoring as the first and second line face the top defenders.

You look at most of the past Stanley Cup champs and a majority of them won as a result of their third line. As much as you may hate Marchand, it was his line that killed us in the finals, not the first two lines. Same with Chicago two years prior, their third line was the difference maker.

And in regards to Cody, there was obviously a lot of things that happened behind closed doors that we are not aware of. Personally I don't know if he demanded a trade or wanted out but I don't think that was the case. However, I do think that there were requests by his agent and parents and perhaps something along the lines of "if he doesn't get more icetime he won't re-sign here". However it's just my speculation.

Gillis is a very smart man in my opinion and he wouldn't have traded Cody unless his hand was forced. Especially after the amount they invested in his development.

Archived