The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Alexander Edler Considered An Elite/franchise Defenseman?

DSVII

hes good but hes not quite there yet. to be in that catagory you have to have the ability to take over a game, like karlsson, chara, lidstrom etc. hes got the potential to be that kind of guy, we'll just have to wait and see if he gets there.

Edler has the tools and has shown to be elite in small spurts.

But even on a Canuck team, if the game was on the line, I'd be putting Hamhuis out there. Rock solid consistency is the trademark of a great defenseman.

It's hard to know where to draw the line that separates elite from not elite.

But Edler is probably a top-10 defenseman in the League. I think he fits amidst the third-tier D of the League's defensemen. Here's a rough sketch of what I see as the D hierarchy:

The top group includes the perennial Norris candidates: Lidstrom, Chara and Weber for sure, and maybe now Pietrangelo as well

The second group includes guys just below that level, who maybe aren't quite as complete as the the players in the top group or aren't quite as consistent: Keith, Doughty, Karlsson and maybe Suter

Then there's the third group, which is where I would put Edler. This group includes guys who may be excellent offensively but so-so defensively, and guys who may be all-around studs but lacking elite skills. Along with Edler I would include: Yandle, Byfuglien, Boyle and maybe Phaneuf (it's hard to know where to draw the line here - a lot of guys could fit).

Thanks to Edler's consistent improvement, I see him being in the second group by next year, if not this year's playoffs. At times he plays like he's already there. But at other times he can be lackadaisical.

The thing about Edler is he has all the tools and attributes to be a perennial Norris candidate. He's got the size. He's got the skill. He's got the athleticism. He could be in the top group one day. He just hasn't put it all together yet. I would say that if he's not yet elite, he's on his way to becoming that.

To be considered a franchise d-man you have to play for the team for many seasons, so if he resigns this summer for lets say four seasons he'll be considered a franchise player. And elite wise he's not consistent enough to be namned elite, but give him two more years and he'll be able to develope the weaker aspects of his game(defensive). Then he'll be considered elite, right now i'd say he's top 15 amongst defenders, and top-5 is elite.

Edler is an entirely different player come playoff time. He knows when to step it up. It's finding that consistency during the long season that separates him from the elite. But when playoffs hit, it's hard to watch him and not think he can be up there with best.

I love Edler, but I don't think he's considered elite quite yet. He's got so much going for him, but his defensive game could use a bit of tweaking. He's improved that side in the last few games, though. Definitely well on his way to being legitimately labelled as elite, especially with his improvements year to year. I also wish he'd dish out those monstrous hits more frequently.

2 different comparisons. Franchise players are ones that basically "make" a franchise (ie/ Nash, Kovalchuk etc). Elite level athletes are distinguished as models of high level consistency (ie/ Thornton - point a game over career vs. Cheechoo - one 56 goal year) AND as a general consensus by GM's (in other words Claude Giroux is more valuable to Philly - and therefore THEIR fans may consider him elite - than he would be to us...a third line centre - not to say he wouldn't be awesome to have!). Based on that criteria, Edler is certainly NOT a franchise player...we don't have or need a "franchise" player to make this team great...it's a collaborative effort. However I believe he is definitely zeroing in being an elite level defenceman, and if ever he got to free-agency, I believe that tag would be affixed by most GM's as well and therefore he would be compensated accordingly. It'll cost us to keep him, but I believe that MG would also consider him elite in a couple years and would pay (and fit under the cap = move to make him fit) to keep him here.

2 different comparisons. Franchise players are ones that basically "make" a franchise (ie/ Nash, Kovalchuk etc). Elite level athletes are distinguished as models of high level consistency (ie/ Thornton - point a game over career vs. Cheechoo - one 56 goal year) AND as a general consensus by GM's (in other words Claude Giroux is more valuable to Philly - and therefore THEIR fans may consider him elite - than he would be to us...a third line centre - not to say he wouldn't be awesome to have!). Based on that criteria, Edler is certainly NOT a franchise player...we don't have or need a "franchise" player to make this team great...it's a collaborative effort. However I believe he is definitely zeroing in being an elite level defenceman, and if ever he got to free-agency, I believe that tag would be affixed by most GM's as well and therefore he would be compensated accordingly. It'll cost us to keep him, but I believe that MG would also consider him elite in a couple years and would pay (and fit under the cap = move to make him fit) to keep him here.

Archived