The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Pgt] Kings 4, Canucks 2

Ryan Murray

The only way I can see us winning the next 4 games is if we go back to our team defense (trap) game. Score a goal and secure it for the remaining game.

It's boring but it worked against them. I don't care about the score, I want a win.. I want a win in this series. We are 2-0 going to LA. If we lose game 3, we are done. If this is what it takes to win, then just do it. No one should care about the entertainment value now considering we have dug ourselves a pretty big hole that we can't get out off.

It just sucks that a couple split second mistakes cost the team so much in this game. Edler with the ill-advised drop pass...which ive hated for 6 months now, stupid drop pass. And then Hamhuis losing his footing at the blue line on the Williams breakaway, which was a mistake but also in my opinion an extemely lucky break for LA. Then Sami Salo scored on his own net, the only LA goal that could be considered a little soft, but still I'm sure Luongo didn't think Salo was gonna try and clear the puck right on net. Depressed...but I will have a positive attitude going into game 3 because whats the point of being negative...

Guest BuckFoston

you're not wrong, but I think a lot if not all of the Canucks problems can be chalked up to fatigue. This team is dead tired and it shows. They've played so much hockey in the last 12 months it's ridiculous. Every other night with about an 8 week break. And hockey is a physical, brutal, grueling sport and the playoffs is twice as tough. Maybe it's not an excuse, but I played a very high level of hockey and I thought playing three games in 5 nights was really tough and it takes a toll on the body. The daily grind is unreal. That's why Chicago and Philly didn't do well last year and that's exactly why. I agree, it's clear that special teams is killing the Canucks right now. But the big problem is lack of gas in the tank. And if you don't have it, you don't have it.

This seems very simliar to 2 years ago when the Canucks played the Kings the first time around where the Canucks were lucky to come out of Vancouver with a split, considering the Kings could have had a 2-0 lead then. But this year the bounces are going the Kings way so far, although they have been the better team.

I'm calling out Gillis, he made bad trades this year. Here's my reasoning.

Since the lockout, the Cup winning team has had at least 8 players who've had increased PPG in the playoffs. At the beginning of this season, the Canucks had 3 players who had increased PPG in the playoffs since the lockout (Burr, Salo, Samuelsson).

So what does Gillis do? He trades one of those guys (Sammy) for a guy who's never played in the playoffs (Booth). During reg season and playoffs, Sammy produced more in Florida than Booth did here. You now have this $4.2 contract for the next 3 years.

At the deadline, Gillis trades his 4th leading scorer (I don't care what his name is) to bring in a guy who's never played in the playoffs (Kass) and another guy who currently sits in the pressbox. He then trades two 4th round picks for a guy who's supposed to centre your third checking line. This 'new' checking whos sole purpose is to take the opponents top lines so Kes/Hank can face lower quality of competition.

For the life of me I can't understand why people don't see it. Look at the roster right now, specifically the forwards:

Burrows - H. Sedin - Hansen

Booth - Kesler - Higgins

Raymond - Pahlsson - Lapierre

Malhotra - Ebbett - Weise

^ Does that really look like a good forward lineup to you guys? Like, at all? I said it back in the Game 1 GDT, having no Daniel and a vastly underperforming Kesler makes this lineup really rather average. Seriously, just look at it. I'm almost not surprised the Canucks are down 2-0 in this series handily.

To go far in the playoffs - hell, to even win THIS series - the Canucks' 1-2 centre punch of Sedin and Kesler pretty much need to play lights out. That hasn't happened. Both have played well in spurts but aren't making the necessary impact the team needs to win.

People have to remember that last year Daniel was coming off a Hart and Ted Lindsay winning season, Kesler was coming off a 41-goal, Selke winning season, Hank had 75 assists and 94 points and Luongo was coming off a Jennings winning season and was nominated for the Vezina. In a nutshell, the team had a good run last year because their best players, their core players, had beastly seasons. This year that same core has completely come down to Earth so it's actually no surprise the team is in the position they're in.

As Dan Bylsma would say "NO EXCUSES." I don't think Boston will be using that "tired" argument any time soon.

If you play hockey and you think that Chicago and Philly lost exactly because of their tiredness the year before, I really don't know what to say to you. Did you watch the games? Especially the Philly ones? That horrendous musical chairs goaltending did them in. And they were swept whereas Chicago took it to game 7 overtime. Nowhere near the same scenario.

Also, Canucks whole schtick has been playing mediocre hockey all year in order to rest themselves for the playoffs. They put in 100% effort in about 10 games out of 82 so I'm not sure they can play the fatigue card. They got into bad habits and it backfired, that's my take on it anyways.

I believe that the Pens have thouroughly trashed everyone's hockey pool and bets.

Many of us had the Pens to go to the SCF with Nashville. That was the common consensus amonst the majority of the fans who look at the game first and the home team 2nd. I had the Canucks in the WCF with a chance at beating Nashville, but not the Pens. The Pens and Phily is great hockey. Both teams loook good offensively and man is that entertaining. But can either team do anything in the next round? With what amounts to horrid D and not so good goal tending. this is the 80's Oilers style of play. Just outscore the other guy. It works and it is fun to watch. The magic question is. What happens when they run into the likes of Boston which is a very possible 2nd round match up. I don't see the Pens or the Flyers going very far. That is actually sad. But true.

Not sure what is happening off the ice/between games, but my gut tells me that AV's gotta kick it up a few notches with some more hands-on coaching. The 'our-boys-know-what-they-need-to-do' approach isn't working like it may have last year. Say what you want, between last year's playoff injuries to key players and this season's trades, this team is discombobulated at best.

Fingers crossed for the next two in LA. Still breathing & bleeding blue, green & white!! :canucks::emot-parrot::canucks:

i don't get all the stupid penalties taken in the third, aka kesler, burrows, and hansen especially

it's bad enough hansen cost us the boston series last year (if anyone recalls..), and now he's at it again

the refs have actually favored the canucks in the series so far

you can't blame the refs for all the delay of game penalties last game

but honeslty i think the refs had been more than fair to the canucks

we suck on the powerplay throughout the game, and when the game is down to last 10 when we're losing by 1, undiscipline penalties follow

Archived