The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

An Argument For Standardizing League Discipline, And Discussion On How To Do It.

How about creating a multiplication table

Infraction – Set number of games

Unintentional (x1), Reckless (x2), Intentional (ie intent to injure) (x3)

No injury and no intent (x1), No injury with intent (x2), Injury with intent (x3)

No history (x1), Previous fine(s) (x1-2 – league choice), Repeat offender (x2-3 depending on previous offenses)

Therefore if Duncan Keith hit Daniel like he did, it would be (say one game standard for major elbowing) times 3 for Intentional, times 3 for Injury with intent, times 1 for no history, equaling 9 games suspension. This would have worked out to the rest of the season and two playoff games. The big thing is when playoff games are no longer considered more important, it ends the trying to injure just before the playoffs hoping for lesser punishment bullcrap. This is of course just a proto-type, and would need tuning, but I feel it would be a step in the right direction.

The league would have lee-way in the number though. Do you really think 18 games is too much for a repeat offender commiting that kind of infraction? Look at what the league getting fed up with Matt Cooke did, it forced him to change his game and it has led to him being a better player because of it. The onus has to be on the players to change their game and it wont happen unless they are faced with serious consequenses for thier actions. If Richards knew he could be suspended for a quarter of the season for trying to take a players head off again, that hit may not ever have happend.

Like I said, it's a proto-type that needs fine tuning, but it would be a big step forward.

They have to start suspending players for larger number of games. I mean really 5 games (which is considered a large suspension) for Keith. He's back and playing for his team while the player he injured isn't back and this is hurting his team.

Players aren't getting it so start suspending them for 20 games. Also while player is suspended that roster spot remains vacant. So you will have one less player on the bench per guy you have suspended.

You should be suspended as long as the forward is injured. 5 games for knocking a star forward out of the lineup for 10+ games is simply unfair.

The only reason the league doesn't do this is because they don't want to suspend a player and control the outcome of games, but by letting them play, go out there and injure more players they ARE changing the outcomes of games.

Keith shouldn't be allowed to play until Daniel does, Hagelin shouldn't be allowed back into the lineup until Alfredsson is ready etc.

The way the "Canuck" games have been officiated, compared to that of lets say the "Rangers" and "Senators" yesterday, the difference is night and day, even after seeing the "BRU-GOONS" back in action against the "Capitals" punching after every whistle and the "BLACKHACKS" delivering a headshot to a goalie while playing the puck behind the net. (seemingly their 2012 game plan)...(2010 Hawk's game plan push Lou into the net)...'CBS CARES...CBC DOES NOT'

No injury and no intent (x1), No injury with intent (x2), Injury with intent (x3)

No history (x1), Previous fine(s) (x1-2 – league choice), Repeat offender (x2-3 depending on previous offenses)

Therefore if Duncan Keith hit Daniel like he did, it would be (say one game standard for major elbowing) times 3 for Intentional, times 3 for Injury with intent, times 1 for no history, equaling 9 games suspension. This would have worked out to the rest of the season and two playoff games. The big thing is when playoff games are no longer considered more important, it ends the trying to injure just before the playoffs hoping for lesser punishment bullcrap. This is of course just a proto-type, and would need tuning, but I feel it would be a step in the right direction.

I really like this idea. As you say, it's a proto-type and needs tuning, but it would sure help standardizing! One thing I keep trying to figure out my opinion on is whether previous history or intent to injure matters more. I think I've decided it is intent to injure. Even if the intention wasn't to injure severely, it still needs to be taken out of the game, especially head shots. I don't think Weber was trying to give Zetterberg a concussion or anything by targeting his head, but he obviously wanted to 'send a message' by using pain. A big concern I have about weighing whether somebody has a previous history or not is that if coaches really wanted to intentionally take out an opposing player, can't they just tell one of their players who hasn't had any problems in the past to just basically attack the guy? Especially if they might just end up getting a $2500 fine, which is ABSURDLY small. Where on earth do they come up with these numbers? It should at least make a dent in their pay. Unbelievable.

I like the concept, and frankly, I have no idea why they haven't implemented something like this already.

It makes the NHL look a lot less like a joke.

Like others have said, the numbers probably need some tweaking, but in general I agree with the idea that the NHL really needs to do something about discipline in the league if it wants to keep any credibility going forward.

Good ideas, except any time you leave any part of a decision the the officials they will miss-handle it. If fines are part of the punishment structure, th league will prefer to fine a pronger/weber type star rather than suspend. With the equation to suspend, they will lessen the factors in some cases, for example the elbow on Daniel was intentional, but how intentional and did he really mean to hurt him? In both cases I say yes, the league says maybe and no.

The league should look to fine the Chicago Blackhawks or their coaching staff based on the elbow in last nights game. Now the orginization has shown a history of intent to injure star players, whether it is a game plan or not, there is history of it. The Bruins would be anothr example of a history of injuring players, eventually carelessness should be punished as much as intent

Why is it out of hand?

Simple. All you have to do is look at last year. The bruins were allowed to goon it up against the nucks in the final. Hit the Sedins at will at instead. So in the off season everyone built up with goonery.

When Weber got a fine it showed it was true open season on stars.

Thus 4th liner nobodys have been cheap shoting the stars cause the only get a couple games and elimate the oppents star player.

It's the NHL that did nothing last year and allowed the NHL to become WWE.

The reffing fake so why not league disciplne.

It might change once a star player is hurt and sue's the NHL.

Simple solution get rid of instigator rule so star players are not cheap shotted by noname players without getting destroyed .

the issue here are the Owners....

That's why Bitz gets 2 games and Weber 2.5K fine..

When you suspend a star player you are in reality punishing the team & its earning potential.

Suspending a 3rd or 4th liner you are punishing the player.

All players are pawns of the Ownership, stars included. Giving an elbow to the head of a star player

like Daniel may end up costing the Canucks millions in potential earnings this year. Suspending Kieth for playoff games could cost the Hawks a s*it load as well.

I feel Shanny wants to dole out punishment that atrocious acts deserve but his hands are tied by Bettman and his employers.

After all this is and entertainment business making millions not really a sporting body looking out for the integrity of the game.

Yesterday I heard Bobby Holik calling for standardization but conceded the NHL does not want this otherwise their hand would be forced in regard to the star players.

In game management of these hits needs to be upped big time.

1) If you require medical attention on the ice your game is done - if the trainer comes out, then you are out of the game. This will eliminate the worst kind of embellishment which is dangerous because it makes it difficiult to objectively assess the seriousness of hits.

2) If you knock a player out of the game as a result of any contact with the head then you are out as well, pending review of the league as to the severity and circumstance of the hit.

And then you need to get really really serious with any kind of head shot. The elbows are coming up and players are jumping into hits, this is needs to be stopped now before someone is killed.

I agree that if a player requires med attention, and they have to leave the game as a result, it would stop any embellishment.

What about, if a player earns a multi-game suspension for a head shot, especially one that is called 'intent to injure', that the player serves those 5 games (or whatever) and then 1 more game in the playoffs?

I think the NHL is trolling us for fun now. Hagelin just received a 3 game suspension for an unintentional head hit. Its basically identical to Bitz' hit, perhaps even less violent.

I'll never understand how Shannahan keeps his job.

The NHL is a joke.

Archived