The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Questions Ignorant People Ask About God

Drugs everywhere, kids killing each other, road rage, you lock your door to your house, don't walk around downtown at night, yeah...it's really safe out there...

Look at the violence we have today compared to 50 years ago.

Yes, from a technological point of view we are better - from a morality point of view?  I don't think so.

Drugs everywhere, kids killing each other, road rage, you lock your door to your house, don't walk around downtown at night, yeah...it's really safe out there...

Look at the violence we have today compared to 50 years ago.

Yes, from a technological point of view we are better - from a morality point of view? I don't think so.

^ I don't quite remember the 50s but I remember a time when if a murder was reported on the news it was shocking because it was a rarity. People would have talked about it for a long time. I think just looking at the increase in this one crime alone over 50 years should speak for itself.

So.... wait really? Those are your points for why the 50's was better? You couldn't come up with.... well literally anything more compelling than the fact that I lock my front door at night? As people have already said, civil/sexual/gender rights are immeasurably better. Most people get a legitimate shot of being happy in this day and age. Gun violence is down and war deaths are the lowest for this decade that they have been in recorded history. I'm not going to bring religion in to this but to say morality is devolving when 100 years ago I could have bought a black person, punched my wife, and raped an indian all in the same day is silly.

^ I don't quite remember the 50s but I remember a time when if a murder was reported on the news it was shocking because it was a rarity. People would have talked about it for a long time. I think just looking at the increase in this one crime alone over 50 years should speak for itself.

If there is an increase of murder overall it might be because Canada's population was at 13 million in the 1950s opposed to 33 million today. Logic dictates such a vast population increase means an intrinsic increase in overall crime, but lately violent crimes has gone down steadily not just in Canada but large countries like the United States which has a similar small population of nuts who have trouble with perception.

Also, the media was not as prominent back in the 50s as it was today, nor did they have the internet.. the conveyance of information was not so quick and streamlined, but I'm sure there were plenty of up-in-arms people as well back then who lacked any sort of pragmatic sensibility, so if anything maybe there's your connection.

Slavery has vastly diminished.

Men always abused wives, always will.

Men always raped, always will.

Men always embellish, always will.

Wrong - didn't you see my post on the last page? it's 35% higher then 20 years ago!

From http://www.thefreera...tatsCanada.html

"The violent crime rate in Canada has gone down slightly in recent years from a peak in the early 1990s. For instance, in the year 2004, the violent crime rate fell 2%, making it 10% lower than a decade earlier. However, it was still 35% higher than 20 years ago (Source: Statistics Canada, The Daily, July 21, 2005). To put the slight decreases in perspective, between 1962 and 2006, the violent crime rate in Canada, per 100,000, went from 221 to 951, or a 300%+ increase. (See chart below "Crime rates in Canada 1962 - 2006")."

If there is an increase of murder overall it might be because Canada's population was at 13 million in the 1950s opposed to 33 million today. Logic dictates such a vast population increase means an intrinsic increase in overall crime, but lately violent crimes has gone down steadily not just in Canada but large countries like the United States which has a similar small population of nuts who have trouble with perception.

Also, the media was not as prominent back in the 50s as it was today, nor did they have the internet.. the conveyance of information was not so quick and streamlined, but I'm sure there were plenty of up-in-arms people as well back then who lacked any sort of pragmatic sensibility, so if anything maybe there's your connection.

Slavery has vastly diminished.

Men always abused wives, always will.

Men always raped, always will.

Men always embellish, always will.

Just because it happens doesn't mean it should continue to happen. If every day each person in the world would say I'm going to do a few things better to improve myself, and try and be more helpful and tolerant of my fellow humans. This world would be a pretty amazing place.

Problem is the world is full of morons, which makes it really hard to be more helpful and tolerant. :lol:

George take it away. (I may not agree with everything he says but it's hilarious)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSSwKffj9o

The beautiful thing about being an atheist is that I CAN question without being judged or told that I'm going to burn for eternity by my friends/peers.

I question things that dont have evidence because to accept everything im told would make me a pretty hollow person.

So am I ignorant for not thinking the dinosaurs didn't exist and god placed their fossils there?

AM I ignorant for not thinking the earth is only 4000 years old?

No. I'm a free thinker for questioning these ridiculous claims.

The bibles proven wrong over and over and over.

That's proof enough that an invisible man in the sky who's made no signs of existing doesn't actually exist.

Thx

First off, wanna say I do not think all atheists are ignorant....just used it for the title cause it goes well with the story. Anyways, found this on Facebook and I thought it was really cool so thought I'd share it here for showcasing and discussion. Guideline of the story which you can prefer to read or not - Atheists believe in no God for many reasons, and key ones being 'where is God', ''why is there no equality', etc... so this is a little answer for those who talk ignorantly like that.

Have a good read, and don't hate, appreciate - ...no matter what these type of 'ignorant' people say to this, they can't argue it cause we are simply using the same strategy or tactics that they do when they talk about God so why would it be untrue if we use it against them?...

:)

There was a man who nothing of the ways of the world. He had a lot of questions but received few answers. He nontheless lived a full and happy life. He found company in those around him who were in the same boat. He died, met his God, and got his answers then.

There was another man who knew everything. His knew all the answers in life, but lacked life's questions. He lived a life in torment of the knowledge he had. With his infinite knowledge of the universe came the infinite emptiness of the universe, and he was often alone. He died, received no additional answers in the afterlife, and remains in torment throughout eternity.

But the answer to 'life, the universe, and everything', if you want to live that life, is 42. Cheers.

TOML

"Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise."

Archived