The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden For Gm

VanNuck

Sure, so the jury's still out. Brilliant players don't automatically know how to coach (sometimes the opposite is true).

Actually they're few and far between.

Was Quennville a great player? Nope. Babs? Nope. Bylsma? Nope. Sutter? Nope. Julien? Nope. Ruff? Nope. Hitch? Nope. Tippett? Nope. Cooper? Nope. Torts? Trotz? AV? Therrien? Capuano? Nolan? DeBoer? Yeo? Richards? Eakins? Horachek? Hartley? Nope to all.

The list of current coaches who were stars is much smaller. Roy, Oates, Carlyle and possibly MacLean, Boudreau and Muller.

I still believe that Linden is neither qualified, nor interested in being the Canucks' GM. (or the GM of any team, for that matter) That being said, he's certainly more qualified than Aquilini, who should stay the hell out of the hockey side of the business.

Gillis has made some mistakes, but the interference he's getting from ownership is making them much harder to avoid.

Trevor doesn't want anything to do with that job. He's made it quite clear.

In the Lion King, Simba has no interest becoming King. He wants to live up Hakuna Matata in the jungle - but Nala insists that he return, because the kingdom is in a mess. Whether or not he wants the job - he's got no choice. The entire kingdom depends on him.

Now the Canucks are the pride, and Linden is Simba. And whether he wants to come back or not, well it's obvious now he's got little choice. Smyl can have the job, yes - but he can't do it alone. It'll take Linden's return to return the Canucks back to the pride of Vancouver once again.

Linden or someone else should be GM, tired of Gillis he never ever pulls the trigger

One, that is exactly my point, anyone but Gillis.

I love Linden, I really do. But he has no experience running an NHL team. I'd much rather have someone with experience than a complete gamble.

Two, Linden has served as president of the NHLPA, which included mind you, making negotiations over the lockout. Gillis had similar kind of experience pre-running the Canucks.

Three, unlike Gillis who is all about the bottom line, Linden would do everything it takes to stay with the fans, from winning to keeping positie relations - and unlike Gillis who came in with nothing, most fans will forgive him if they're slow to get there, as long as he promises they'll get there.

Four, there's always Smyl, who has in-club experience. But Linden should be back in some capacity, just like Simba needing to return to Pride Rock.

the good gillis has done outweighs the bad at this point IMO. a successful summer coming up is imparitive for him though. if it doesn't go well, i would want gilman to take over as GM, move Jonathan Wall to assistant GM and maybe get linden into the organization as a hockey ops administrator.

the good gillis has done outweighs the bad at this point IMO. a successful summer coming up is imparitive for him though. if it doesn't go well, i would want gilman to take over as GM, move Jonathan Wall to assistant GM and maybe get linden into the organization as a hockey ops administrator.

I like Gilman, but he's best off running the numbers and playing a supporting role. Rather would have Smyl or Linden running the hockey personnel. Actually, instead of Linden for GM, I'd say Smyl for GM, Linden and Gilman for assistants.

And Pavel Bure for head coach?

Had in mind Scott Neidermayer for head coach. He's actually doing a pretty good job as an Anaheim assistant - but as long as Bruce Boudreau is there, he's not getting the head coaching gig in California. Jury's out on his ability to manage strategies as head coach - but the way the team is looking now, they might as well tank it next season, get a top-five pick and draft McDavid, or Barnaby if they miss the first overall. Hopefully, Neids will have mastered the Xs and Os by the time they're ready for next season.

I hate Linden fans. Most unrealistic people ever. The guy was a decent player and great off the ice. Nothing more.

Not sure what else he should be. That made me a fan already. You also forgot great leader and highly respected... Nothing bad to say about the guy

You missed my point. If Linden was to become our GM it wouldn't be long before everyone here on CDC will start posting how Linden sucks, has ruined the franchise, should be fired and so on. No GM has been immune to it here and Linden would be no exception.

You missed my point. I'm implying that what CDC users post about our GM does not matter. It doesn't affect how the team plays.

Errmm Most GMs are ex players. From the top of my head, Chiarelli of the Bruins and Holland of the Red Wings. Gillis played hockey but was a lousy one at it.

That guy said being a player doesn't automatically make you a good gm.

He would get more respect then Gillis does for a rebuild and trades, but I dont know if hes the man for the job.

With all the respect he's pick up beforehand, and knowing how much he's on Vancouver's side in this business, he can get away with the occassional unpopular decision more so than Gillis or anyone else.

Why is he the man for the job? Because he is a leader, a respected leader with character and class. Everyone knows where his heart is for this city - he wants to see this city win. People trust guys like that to lead them into battle.

As NHLPA president, he's held a key role in making negotiations to end the lockout. As a Canuck player, he's shown to be a leader for not only the city, but the community. And now, as a businessman, he's helping grow what's turning out to be a pretty successful athletic club. And where he has weaknesses on the job, he can always hire the support staff to help out (ie. scouts, trainers, etc.).

Yup, after tonight, need I say more? Anyone looking for disappointment before letting go of Gillis - here it is. The Fire Mike Gillis Facebook page has grown to just under 2,000 likes, from barely 200, not two days ago. After tonight, the Nucks have a better shot winning a first-overall pick than a Cup (which might not be a bad thing). But Gillis sure wrecked the team.

Why are they falling apart? Because what goes around comes around. Sow a culture of entitlement, reap players with egos that don't come through when it really counts... and then want out when the going is tough. Gillis has shown a lack of leadership, and this team needs leadership to get things right in the organization.

I might be wrong about Linden or Smyl as being the leader, but let's say this, anyone would be better than Gillis.

Archived