The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Mike Gillis Agrees To Contract Extension

hockeyville88

See the problem is right there. People become too fixated on one thing. For many Vigneault lovers it is the fact he led the team to the Stanley Cup Final.

When you look at Vigneaults tenure, every time the Canucks season has ended he has been out coached badly with one exception being the year against Anahiem where he simply relied on Luongo.

In 08 the team had a monstrous collapse that was almost as bad as the 05-06 season and got knocked out of the played. In 09 and 2010 Joel Quenville out coached Vigneault bad the lack of adjustments made by AV cost us both series against the Hawks. In 09, he also called out Cody Hodgson for an injury he was suffering and well the rest as they say is history. The same two years, he continued his love affair with Taylor Pyatt and Steve Bernier, when they did not deserve the love he gave. He refused to stop shoving them down our throats by consistently putting them on the top two lines even when everyone begged him to stop. He mismanaged Luongos starts and did not give him enough rest in 08-09. He mismanaged Luongos starts again in 2009-2010 by overplaying him yet again, showing he had not learned from mistakes he had made the season before.

Also those two playoff series, the Canucks allowed 4 or more goals a game against Chicago. A lot of the blame can go to Luongo but at the same respect AV has to share a lot of the blame as well. A team does not allow over 4 a game in the playoffs without the coach being a problem. In 2009-2010 in the playoffs we also saw an abysmal PK. The Kings had a powerplay percentage over 50% in that series. Considering AV's primary expertise is defence, one really has to wonder what the hell he was doing.

Now last season, the Canucks were up 2-0 in the finals. A grand total of 0 teams had lost when up 2-0 in the finals yet the canucks found a way. A lot of it can be blamed on the anemic offence but at the same respect AV got out coached. He did not put the Sedins in good situations in terms of line matching. Vigneault has been known his whole coaching career as someone who loves switching lines ALL THE TIME (to the point most of us want to nauseate). However, the one time he should have switched lines he didnt. He also did not control his players and tell them to scram with the whining, bi***ing and the rest of it. As much as the players are responsible for there actions, where was AV telling them to stop there BS.

This brings us to the 2011-2012 season. He refused to give up his love affair with Mason Raymond and insisted on shoving him in the top two lines when he should have been a healthy scratch. He also lost control of the team. That emotional letdown that happened after the meaningless win against Boston should not have happened. Vigneault should have stepped in and prevented it from occurring, seeing as he is the coach but nevertheless it occurred.

Yet again he got out coached in the playoffs and we saw one of the most epic collapses in Canucks history.

That stanley cup final thing doesnt look too good now does it ?

PS: This is a quick summary, I do not have the time right now to make it more detailed but trust me when I say this that it could go on for pages

Not entirely thrilled, but hopefully MG can prove his worth this offseason. His recent transactions have been horrid to say the least.

I do not want to see AV back though. This team needs a new direction and voice.

How can you solely blame these losses on AV? Don't you think we were a little too weak for the Blackhawks in 08 and 09? The same goes for the Bruins. We were OUTPLAYED, not OUT COACHED. What more do you expect from Av, do you want him to go on the ice and fight Chara or Byfuglien for us?

AV stays.

Gillis made it clear in the interview that it's just a matter of negotiating a new contract. If he was thinking about replacing him still, he would have said something to the effect of 'assessing the coaching situation like we are assessing other considerations and once we have done so will will move forward to execute our plan, etc.' But he didn't.

He said he wants to keep him. There is no reason to say that unless you are sure that you want to keep him, otherwise you set yourself up to look inconsistent (or worse).

"He's a good GM. Thinks outside the box.''

- that's hilarious. If you want real humor, go back to what MG said when he first took over. He talked a lot about 'outside the box' and how he was going to pattern the Canucks after the Oakland A's!

- the sad thing is the owner knows less about running a team than the GM.

- anyway; a note to all the Gillis fans; ''remember to celebrate responsibly.''

You mean like stating that he likes to set up a completely autonomous relationship, where players can come to him & not have it in the press; then throw Hodgson under the bus?

:lol:

Well even I have to admit that appeared out of character, but was not good anyway.

Key with MG is how he adds talent & size to our depth forwards & a stud D man with Lou and Raymond as chips?

<p>

Who needs sources. It's called integrity, and Mike Gillis strikes me as having a ton of it...meaning that MG would step down from his role if ownership started telling him how to do his job.Unlike a guy like say Doug Maclean, who not only fired his coach, but started coaching the CBJ himself because his owner told him to.

I hope is a long term contract. I can't really imagine any other gm that is more qualified then him right now, at least to a point were there is one that is umemployed. I'm so excited to have him back, and again I hope it's a long term contract. Wouldnt mind if AV stayed along. I don't even think any 1 gm in our history has lead us to 4 straight Division titles, nor even a presidents trophy let a lone a back to back.

I love how he said, "Unfinished business." lol. Gillis is a smart gm. We are not just a division title choker. We are actually the best regular season team that got beaten in the 1st round. Gillis knows this team is very close to a championship and to quit, will be utterly retarded, and all that work is for nothing. He will quit, he will probably get hired by another team quickly and start again, from way behind. Good job Gillis, hope to have you for another 10 years. The moves he's made in the past 4 years, shows that he's not a stupid gm, he makes good moves.

Archived