The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Mike Gillis Agrees To Contract Extension

hockeyville88

No Gillis is overrated cause fans keep saying he's the best GM we've ever had but yet this team stars, leaders, key players and head coach are all from Burke/DN. Which doesn't make sense at all, my logic has logic.

No Gillis is overrated cause fans keep saying he's the best GM we've ever had but yet this team stars, leaders, key players and head coach are all from Burke/DN. Which doesn't make sense at all, my logic has logic.

Re AV, this is what it says on Sportsnet:

Now that he has secured a new deal, Gillis will address Vigneault's status as soon as possible. The GM said it is his decision whether Vigneault remains behind the Canucks bench, and he wants the coach to continue with the club.

"He's done an excellent job, and he'll obviously be the first thing on the agenda once I have an opportunity to execute on the plan we have," said Gillis.

Vigneault has guided the Canucks to back-to-back Presidents' Trophies. He has served for six seasons with the club after being hired by former GM Dave Nonis prior to the Aquilinis' purchase from former Seattle-based ower John McCaw in 2008.

Several Canuck players, including Alex Burrows and Ryan Kesler, have expressed their desire for Vigneault to stay on. Gillis said Vigneault has given "every indication" that he wants to remain with the club.

However, Gillis sidestepped the question of whether he would offer a contract extension. Vigneault, a former NHL coach of the year whose future has come under intense speculation, is entering the final year of his deal.

Well seeing how Burke 1st built the WCE team that ran it's course and their gming prevented this team from having to go into a complete rebuild after those days were done. Gillis had to add to the bottom 6 and bottom pairing, that's a lot easier to do after the top 6 and top 4 is most done for you, as well as goaltending. I do like Gillis but calling him the best we've ever had when this teams core is made up of the past GMs work is what makes Gillis overrated.

I'm pleased MG will lead for a few years still but I'm not thrilled about AV staying.

Those two need to get on the same page about certain players and finally make up their mind about playing style and stick to it. I'd hate for us to end up like Caps.

Will be interesting to see what his so called "plans and opportunities" amount to, but whatever happens, Raymond and Rome had better not be part of it. Consideration should also be given to trading one of Edler or Kesler, the only movable pieces with significant return value, and hopefully change the team identity by adding more warrior types.

Not the news I wanted to hear, regardless, it's now the reality.

Curious what this team will look like next yr. Surely they don't think they can go into next season with the same GM, same coach, same team and simply pray for different results - Einstein would call that insanity.

After Daniel was elbowed in the head, Friedman stated Gillis was seriously thinking of going Boston style. I.e. Creating a team that would defend itself cause they can no longer rely on the league to do so. After leading the league on the 'victim' side of suspensions, I wonder if Gillis has seen enough. I hope he makes moves this summer to bring in bigger/tougher bodies for the top and bottom 6. Then hopefully next yr, a Sedin won't be forced to watch from the sidelines as the playoffs begin.

No, he is the best, I like him but a new voice is needed, a better motivating voice. And a ton of coaches could have won the pres trophy's with our team, and maybe could also get our team to play at there best so we didn't choke in the playoffs every year.

Our "Choke" this year wasnt solely AV's doing, the onus is on our goal scorers to score more than 8 goals in a series, if the millions of dollars of money they got paid this year to play a "GAME" isnt enough motivation to get up and try harder then they really need to re evaluate there priorities. They are paid to put out a good product and only players that showed up for the playoffs were the goalies. People will argue injuries, well if your too injured to put out 100% then dont play give your spot to someone who can.

Archived