The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Mike Gillis Agrees To Contract Extension

hockeyville88

Gillis took a core that never really did anything under BB/DN and turned them into perennial powerhouses.

In 4 years of Gillis running the team, we have 4 division titles, 2 Presidents trophies, a Clarence Campbell trophy, a Jennings trophy, 5 playoff series wins, and a host of individual awards.

In 9 years of Burke & Nonis, we had 2 division titles, 0 Presidents trophies, 0 Clarence Campbell trophies, 0 Jennings trophies, 2 playoff series wins, and fewer individual awards.

I think you and others are missing my point. I never said Gillis was a bad GM, I said I like him and I like having him re-signed and as our GM. My reasons for Gillis being overrated by fans is that Gillis added depth to this team but the stars, the core, the coach, the top end talent all came from Burke and DN, I understand many of you want to belittle this FACT as it proves that the teams success is all traced back to guys that were drafted/signed/developed under Burke or DN. I'm not sure I agree he's proven to be the best GM in Canucks history when he has still yet to make his mark on this team, but I think in time he may prove this.

I think you and others are missing my point. I never said Gillis was a bad GM, I said I like him and I like having him re-signed and as our GM. My reasons for Gillis being overrated by fans is that Gillis added depth to this team but the stars, the core, the coach, the top end talent all came from Burke and DN, I understand many of you want to belittle this FACT as it proves that the teams success is all traced back to guys that were drafted/signed/developed under Burke or DN. I'm not sure I agree he's proven to be the best GM in Canucks history when he has still yet to make his mark on this team, but I think in time he may prove this.

Not saying Gillis should have been fired but there was a case to be made. I mean he did overpay for several of his players and did do some dumb transactions. His offer for Sundin the original one was very risky. Imagine if Mats had signed a 2 year deal for 10 mill per, that would have probably meant the twins would not have resigned as there would not have been enough cap space to resign them. The deal he signed the Twins for originally was overpayment. At the time they were 80 point players getting 6 mill a year, in 2009 that was overpayment. He also chose the wrong pony between Raymond and Grabner. He is also responsible for being hamstrung by the Ballard contract and potentially the Booth contract. He is also responsible for the monster Luongo contract.

The players that have developed under MG's time have all been Nonis or Burke guys. Yes he has made some shrewed moves like acquiring Ehrhoff. However, it is important to keep in mind he has made some very dumb moves in his tenure as well.

Everything he's done has been with good intentions, I like where his mind is:

Acquiring Hamhuis - we needed someone to replace Mitchell's shutdown prowess

Acquiring Ballard - we needed more defensive quality and Ballard was a 30-point player playing 20+ minutes

Both were reliable defencemen who were rarely injured in their careers, which is something we needed more of. Bad luck bit us there, and clearly the scouting report on Ballard wasn't well done but it's difficult to predict how defencemen change in different markets (see Bouwmeester, Phaneuf, Kaberle etc.)

Acquiring Malhotra - shutdown center to let Kesler play more offensively and boost our PK, worked perfectly last season

Signing the Sedins - best move in franchise history, kept the face of our franchise together

Signing Luongo - a great cap hit of just 5ish million for one of the best in the league, that's a steal. Not many have outplayed him over the last few years consistently.

Acquiring Higgins and Lapierre - two great depth players and solid playoff peformers who play the right way.

Acquiring Booth - learned from his mistakes last season, got bigger up front

Acquiring Kassian - had his hand forced with the selfish little brat Hodgson and did the best he could, also getting bigger in the process

Acquiring Bitz - tried to get bigger hitters on our 4th line and it worked well for us

Acquiring Weise - a much better improvement on Oreskovich and I have a feeling this guy will break-out in the next few seasons, watch this space. He's got some serious offensive talent, plays hard and is still very young.

Acquiring Duco, Pinizzotto and Mancari - got much bigger and tougher on the farm but lost a bit of skill, which is how teams are winning Cups nowadays (see Boston, LA/Phoenix/NYR)

I hate this 'choke in the playoffs every year' bull cr*p. We were 3 periods away from the cup last year. You want a god damn 'choke in the playoffs every year' scenario, the Blues have been in the NHL since '67 and have only been to the cup finals once (early 70's).

:picard:

Good news ! Glad Aquilinis extended his contract.

Next order of business: is AV leaving or staying ?

Wonder where AV has been since the last game played ? Really strange not to hear the coach making a statement after the end of the season !!!

But for me, draft day will be the time to tune in and see what MG has up his sleves !

I am now convinced AV will stay. If he doesn't win the cup this year, he won't be extended.

Also, I think Luongo will be traded. It's a win-win. Either goal-tender gives us an excellent chance to win the cup. My choice would be Schneider, but you really can't go wrong with either.

Archived