The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mg Most Likely Waiting For Other Heads To Roll Before He Decides

El_guapocapitan

MG waiting for others to be fired - this is what I was originally thinking. Coaching decisions are often made quite quickly following early playoff exits. I figured MG was waiting to see who better might come along (Quenneville, Babcock, Laviolette, McLellan). Fact of the matter is despite our short-comings, we still have the best available coach right now. I've been saying to fire AV as much as anyone here, but the realist in me knows that you can't just get rid of a guy when there are no suitable alternatives.

However, I think the coaching decision must come first as it will have a trickle-down effect on what we do with our goaltending (either of AV or Luongo will be gone, we won't be keeping both). It may also be the difference between Raymond and/or Ballard staying or not. Maybe some others will want out, some that come from left-field (like Hodgson was).

And winningest Canucks coach or not, if his methods are out of date, or there is someone better suited out there, show the man the door. Luongo is the winningest Canucks goalie of all time, people here don't have a problem shipping him out of town.

AV is good enough that he's prob better than whatever replacement there is. But he does so many SMH things that don't inspire confidence. I got the same feeling watching this season of the Canucks as I did the last season of Dexter.. had so much potential but dragged on way too much and left hanging for next season.

Exactly. AS MG said, they continue to buid a team to winteh Stanely CUp...not to have the highest win percentage, or individual trophies or teh Presiednt's CUp...They want the Stanley Cup!!

AV has had the most talented team ever assembled in Vancouver (and considered by many, the most talented in the league)and an owner willing to spend freely to get that cup. Both this year and last, there were far too many instances when the team was not motivated and couldn't elevate their game at key times. That, is the coach's role and responsibility regardless of how much he says he leaves it up to the core group.

Last year he said it was because they couldn't roll 4 lines. MG brought in a dozen 4th liners with size, speed and grit to try and guess what...AV still wouldn't play the 4th line in the playoffs.

I hope MG makes a change in order to alter the mood, message and attitude of this team. Going into next year with the same core and coach is a recipe to repeat or do worse than this year.

Archived