The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Alain Vigneault's Contract Extended By 2 Years

Strombone1

I already responded to this post, but as I read it again, it really got me wondering: Lets say the Canucks are a business. In the 2011 fiscal year, we have a company that performed not just very well, but spectacularly for the first three quarters. In the 4th quarter, the business did just as spectacularly until the very final week of the fiscal year when it did poorly. Unfortunate, but as a business, still an extremely successful year.

The fiscal year of 2012 starts off sluggishly. The best thing that can be said about the first quarter was that it was only minimally successful.

However, the second and third quarters show a marked improvement and by the end of quarter three, it can be said that the business has outperformed all of it's compatitors. Not the spectacular year to date that the previous one was, but all in all, a very successful one.

Then comes quarter #4. The business does poorly. Many reasons are given, but none can be stated as the definitive reason. The only thing that can be said for sure is that several of the other top performing competitors have suffered the same poor 4th quarter, suggesting that the problem was not confined to our business alone, but was due to a product advancement by a competitor which had gone through the first three quarters with only moderate success.

So looking back at our business, we have 7 out of 8 excellent quarters and one not very good one.

Are you really saying that this particular business would be a poor investment? Is that what you call sound business acumen?

I'm glad you're not running any company of mine....

If the Canucks are a business, some people view it as a seasonal business.  The last quarter is where 90% of the revenue gets generated similar to Christmas time with retail companies.  If the team tanks in the last quarter then the other three quarters are not as material.  That is if you weigh hockey importance as business success.  However, financially the Canucks are doing fine so from that standpoint I don't see why you wouldn't keep AV if there's a greater chance he'll continue to have regular season success which equals regular season sellouts.

AV does not state that Luongo wants out.

The reporter is basically saying: "I believed it would be best for Luongo to... depart. Have a fresh start somewhere else, somewhere not in Vancouver."

AV: "Well, we want to please him with whatever decision he makes. We have to do what's best for the orginization."

Been doing french immersion for about 12 years.

Two boldings together don't compute.

If we played "bland, uninspired" hockey, yet were still the best 82 game team in the league, why would we need to make at least 5 player changes? You'd think, with inspiration, we'd finish with 136 points next year if we really tried.

And the "weak division" argument is ridiculous. We play our division opponents a total of 8 extra games (4 teams x two games). Factoring in the mathematical differential for points re other teams in the other two divisions in the conference (and we'll leave out the easier schedule of any team in the East), you could argue that we may have gained 4-6 points from easier conference match-ups. So, to coclude, about 108 points. Yep -- huge difference, and big disappointment.

The anti-AV, anti-Canuck arguments are as easy to swat as light-singed moths in an eight-by-eight-by eight room.

If it wasn't enough that AV called out Cody Hodgson publicly and assisted in running him out of town, now he's calling out Ryan Kesler:

“Obviously, Ryan had a shoulder issue and the decision was made at the end of the season to operate on that shoulder,” said Vigneault. “That being said, though, that was not, in our mind, the reason for his diminished production.

“I'm sure if you were to ask him, the injury wasn't the reason his production fell. His rehab and the way he stayed on top of that permitted him to play at the pace he was used to playing but for whatever reason, his performance slipped this year. We've got to get on top of that and we've got to get him back to where he was before that.”

This is Kesler's agent's (Kurt Overhardt) reaction:

“I am not a doctor, I'm a lawyer, but after having conversations with the player and with the club, anyone who thinks this injury did not affect his play must have fallen off a turnip truck.”

http://www.theprovin...html?rel=837260

Why the hell does AV keep doing this??

AV was pissing me off in that interview yesterday.

When Taylor asked "What are you going to improve next season specifically?" (something similar] AV started with "Oh thats a good question!" and continued to ramble on and not directly answer the question. Why wouldn't he just tell us?

I would like AV if he was better at relations with the fans/media. But since he's not, he seems like somebody that I probably wouldn't want to chill with. He might be kind of a d**k

If it wasn't enough that AV called out Cody Hodgson publicly and assisted in running him out of town, now he's calling out Ryan Kesler:

“Obviously, Ryan had a shoulder issue and the decision was made at the end of the season to operate on that shoulder,” said Vigneault. “That being said, though, that was not, in our mind, the reason for his diminished production.

“I'm sure if you were to ask him, the injury wasn't the reason his production fell. His rehab and the way he stayed on top of that permitted him to play at the pace he was used to playing but for whatever reason, his performance slipped this year. We've got to get on top of that and we've got to get him back to where he was before that.”

This is Kesler's agent's (Kurt Overhardt) reaction:

“I am not a doctor, I'm a lawyer, but after having conversations with the player and with the club, anyone who thinks this injury did not affect his play must have fallen off a turnip truck.”

Why the hell does AV keep doing this??

Fair enough. The question still stands, though.

The business has one excellent "Christmas", although Christmas Eve is not what they'd hoped for. The following Christmas is disappointing, although somewhat mitigated by the second consecutive very strong "non-seasonal" year in sales.

Do you agree with Buck that this business would be a poor investment?

BTW: I think your 90% estimate is a tad high. The accepted rule of thumb is that a franchise generates about a million to 2 million dollars per game in the playoffs. As the PT trophy winners last season, the canucks played the maximum amount of home games possible, 16.

One would hope that that 16 to possibly 30+ million was not "90%" of the team's total revenue. It would be pretty tough to pay the bills if that were so....

While you have a steady and consistent regular season/performance which is safe...does safe make you rich?  And also knowing and having the potential and the means to make it big which of course will require risks but in turn could triple your profits in bonuses ie. the playoffs...and considering other business are in fact capitalizing and benefitting from the huge bonuses/playoffs...while you're left in the dust, which business would you rather invest in?

As someone who has watched and cheered for this team since Barry Wilkins scored the first goal I can say with some authority that all you AV MG haters out there have NO idea how bad this team has been in the past. I have seen it all and believe me this is the best times this team has ever had. We have been the best team overall for 4 years and yes I know we haven't won the most difficult trophy in sports to win. However this year and in the past years 29 other teams are disappointed and fans blame anyone who is convenient. You can pi$$ and moan about perceived mistakes regarding young prospects who "needed more playing time" but in the cases of people like Shirokov Grabner etc the fact was /is they are not good enough... all fans tend to overrate their prospects and then when they are proven shift the blame to scouting etc. the fact is this is the best of times for this team and AV is a good choice to continue. the only one I would replace him with would be Babcock or Bylsma . Enjoy what you have because for the first time we have consistency and a chance to reload instead of always trying to rebuild ( Hello Brian out there in TO)

Here i'll post actually numbers instead of making crap up: winning % vs NWwas 75% vs NW, 61% vs East, and 55% against Cen/Pacific. Plus four extra games against the division, it probably worked out to more like 7-10 extra points (use .55 * 20 rather then .75 * 20 - 4.0 raw points + extra games (produce at 50% so say say go 4 more points)

Also where are you getting the 8 extra games from? According to NHL.com its' 24 against against the NW, 20 against other divisions? I guess any argument is easy to swat at when you make up numbers to support your cause.....

Spelling it out - 'bland, uninspired hockey' means that they could have lost many of the games they won because they were not dominating, they were just eeking wins out. The team looked uninspired. There are many factors, but is it not the coaches job to motivate the team? Many people predicted this team could be bounced in the first round, and sure enough they were. We weren't the best... do you seriously think we would have won the presidents trophy playing in the Atlantic or Pacific?? We got a lot of bounces, we easily could have lost 7or 8 games we won.

The bottom line for the against the pro-AV argument is good coaches get fired all the time, why? Because coaches stop working for teams and it's easier to remove ONE guy then to completely revamp the team to give the team a kick start. If we go into next year the exact same as this year less a few tinker changes, we will not win the cup. Quote me on it.

"triple" is used to simply exemplify the big dollars/prestige to be had during the playoffs..actual figures cannot be realistically ascertained or revealed...I don't have that access.  Who knows, it very well could. The costs of each seat significantly go up...the longer the run the more the mark ups keep multiplying. Nonetheless, losing out on the playoffs is a big loss to the business, which other businesses are capitalizing on which puts them ahead of the game and arguably a better investment. A solid regular season term is just like any other Canadian team which doesn't make you a great investment with exceptional return just a safe one.

AV just can't keep his mouth shut

http://www.theprovince.com/touch/sports/Ryan+Kesler+agent+fires+back+over+Vigneault+comments/6672764/story.html?rel=837260

Kesler camp doesn't seem too happy about AV calling Kesler out with his injury saying that it wasn't the reason why his play dropped. AV saying Luongo wants out(if true) and the whole Hodgson thing, oh yeah remember AV comments on an injured Mitchell. Maybe AV is cancer in the locker room and our great GM re-signed him.

AV just can't keep his mouth shut

Kesler camp doesn't seem too happy about AV calling Kesler out with his injury saying that it wasn't the reason why his play dropped. AV saying Luongo wants out(if true) and the whole Hodgson thing, oh yeah remember AV comments on an injured Mitchell. Maybe AV is cancer in the locker room and our great GM re-signed him.

Archived