The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why do people think we need to rebuild?

Whether we need a re-build, re-tweek or leave alone is best assessed after reviewing the line up. Evaluation of forwards who belong in a top 4 line, top 6 D:

Left Wing > Danny, Burrows, Booth, Higgins, Raymond Prospect who may be ready, Jensen

Right Wing > Hansen, Weise Prospect who may be ready, Kassian, re-signed?, Bitz

Center > Hank, Kesler, Lapierre Prospect who may be ready, Schroeder, Vet still be ready ? Manny

Left D > Hamhuis, Edler, Ballard, Prospects?, Gragnani, Connauton, vets who can still plug Rome, Alberts

Right D > Bieksa, Salo Prospects? Tanev, pretty slim after, Sauve?

Goalie > Lou, Schneider Prospects? Lack

We are critically weak on right side D and lack size, our biggest concern by far. W have talent and depth at left D but again lack size. There is also definite concern at right wing. You can see why Hodgson was sacrificed. We have superb top end talent at centre, enough depth for now if Manny comes up good? Clearly we are exceptionally strong and deep in goal. We are deep and talented, but critically lack size at left wing.

The conclusion, overall talent and speed is excellent, size and position players are our need to fix issues. Tactically by position our priorities are Right D, Right Wing, Centre Depth (as most centres can play wing) and Left wing size, possibly left D size in order of importance. We also definitely need better prospects in our cupboard!

Mini fix from UFA market; Souray, Salo and Garrison, Arnott, Bitz and Travis Moen. This covers virtually all our holes, save size on left side D, without any re-build. Then we are left with heaps of LW depth + Lou + a left D to address to score better talent where its available in the trade market.

Alternate interests at D, Adrian Aucoin, Scott Hanan, Jackman, Brad Stuart and maybe Brian Allan. Alternates at wing, Jordin Tootoo, BRANDON PRUST, bring back Samuelsson and the best last (but least likely) J Jagr. Alternates at center, Paul Gaustad (expensive, but worth it), Chris Kelly and Jokinen.

All of these free agents, most of whom would be affordable to us, would then offer us a position of strength in trades.

I honestly haven't seen that many ppl suggesting a complete rebuild, even after the 1st round loss.. in saying that tho, a top 4 defenseman, a top six guy and the changing off your no.1 goaltender are still quite significant pieces. No we don't need to rebuild but we still have a couple big holes to fill.

The team doesn't need to rebuild, but they definitely need to add some new pieces and build a solid foundation for the future. The team isn't built to win the Cup right now, and they need to make some major moves or forever hold their peace.

People who think this team is perfect the way it is are COMPLETELY DELUSIONAL.

No, we dont need a full rebuild, not yet anyway. Though if we bomb again in the playoffs, I'd definetly look into moving some core peices.

Unfortunatly since Gillis' drafting has been very poor, we cant really upgrade from within.

Lets all just hope Kassian and Jensen can become something.

This years draft is gonna say alot about Gillis.

If we pass on Henrik Samuelsson or Martin Frk and dont look at big guys with hands ( ala Dwight King ) in the later rounds.

Then our future will be pretty bleak in a few years.

Dont hold on to your aging vets, PLEASE PLEASE dont turn into Calgary.

That was both our 2knd line wingers from a line that tied for tops in the entire NHL for scoring by a 2knd line just 2 seasons ago.

That was our best puck carrying defenceman. Edler had no effect getting the puck through the neutral zone against L.A where Erhoff could have.

Now, adding the possibility of moving a goalie, who with a few bounces could be in the hall of fame.

Thats a lot of key pieces on the move, or not replaced adequately yet?

Here is what it is;

The Sedins, Kesler & Hamhuis are our core. We can certainly win without moving them, so you could say its not rebuilding.

Our key talent, save a Top right side D is in place. So if we only need one key piece you could say we are not re-building.

But most of our lines and two of our D pair are missing a key component. The Twins with Burrows is too small to play two way hockey. Our 2knd line needs a play maker, who can keep up defensively. I suppose that could be Burrows if we got a big winger for the Twins? But that adds another key piece? Our 3rd line needs a center and a banger. Yes Higgins is a better player than Torres, but Torres had size that allowed the line to take on match ups Higgins gets plastered on. It still needs work. Our 4th line needs an enforcer who can skate. Edler needs a D partner. Tanev is waaaay too small and does not hit. Ballard needs a D partner...

There are sooo many things that do need addressing!

Yip, at least a "mini" re-build!

Adding a few people is not rebuilding... remodeling our core is rebuilding... you just named 3 players we lost, in what world is acquiring 3 players a rebuild?

Majority of Canucks fans are not idiots, it is just the idiots make their voice louder. I am sorry, but if you think a team that gave the Kings the hardest competition(The Canucks total lead time over the Kings, is higher than every other team in the playoffs combined who have played them) won back/back Presidents Trophies, won 5/6 div titles, and was with in one game of the Stanley Cup last year needs to "re-build" you are not that bright, and you do not understand hockey.

The last time the Canucks started a re-build was 1999 when we had Messier, and traded up at the draft to get the twins. The people who suggest a re-build were not watching back then. It took 12 years to get to the cup from that point. Yes we "re-tooled" a few times in between those years, but never did they blow up the team.

Getting good key players takes years to trade for, and develop, look at the Leafs, and Oilers, it does not take over night, and there is no promise the re-build will work. Columbus has tried to re-build 5 times, and have only made the playoffs once..

Every team every year needs to add a few new players. The Canucks could stay put and contend again. But the point is to improve.

My wish list for the summer is to acquire a defenseman through free agency - preferably a big, mean shut down guy, ideally who can play the right side. Garrison doesn't fit that bill, but may be worth altering the plan for and apparently can play the right side despite being a(nother) left shot. Regardless, there are a number of reasonably priced defensive blueliners out there this year. It would be great to have Sami back as well.

Of all the right wing UFAs aside from Doan, no one other than a pair of 40+ year olds really stands out as the type of player the Canucks should really make a bid for - Parenteau is on some people's lists, but I don't know if he is going to be worth what the bidding will dictate. Burrows is listed as a left winger, giving the impression that the Canucks are very lopsided with left wing talent, but really when you consider that Burrows plays the right side with the Sedins, and Hansen and Kassian are right wings, adding one player who can fit nicely on the second line is a priority. The fourth line had Weise, Bitz, Mancari as options and Kassian late in the season - a number of these guys are now UFAs - Gillis will be looking to add or re-sign a depth right wing as well.

Whether or not Pahlsson comes back is unknown - I'd like to see him re-signed - the third line was very tight with him centering it.

If the Canucks and Luongo decide to part ways I think the focus should be on getting a big prospect center and a big right handed defensive prospect - in addition to a potential roster player - and given the differences in the free agency market between blueliner and wingers, it would probably be wise to acquire a winger in the deal.

I think the chips fall inline best with Florida because of Tallon and Gillis' history of cutting deals, Luongo's history there, and the development period Markstrom will need. Florida has four young prospect centers in Huberdeau, Bjugstad, Howden and Matthias. They also have a handful of young blueline prospects in Gudbranson, Kulikov, Ellerby, Petrovic, Robak... Versteeg (an RFA) is not a big guy, but might fit nicely on a line with Kesler and Booth - Upshall and Bergenheim are left wingers, but could be interesting additions. I'd like to see a deal with one of those wingers, Bjugstad or Matthias, and a big mean blueliner, with a heavy right handed shot like Petrovic...

That was both our 2knd line wingers from a line that tied for tops in the entire NHL for scoring by a 2knd line just 2 seasons ago.

That was our best puck carrying defenceman. Edler had no effect getting the puck through the neutral zone against L.A where Erhoff could have.

Now, adding the possibility of moving a goalie, who with a few bounces could be in the hall of fame.

Thats a lot of key pieces on the move, or not replaced adequately yet?

Here is what it is;

The Sedins, Kesler & Hamhuis are our core. We can certainly win without moving them, so you could say its not rebuilding.

Our key talent, save a Top right side D is in place. So if we only need one key piece you could say we are not re-building.

But most of our lines and two of our D pair are missing a key component. The Twins with Burrows is too small to play two way hockey. Our 2knd line needs a play maker, who can keep up defensively. I suppose that could be Burrows if we got a big winger for the Twins? But that adds another key piece? Our 3rd line needs a center and a banger. Yes Higgins is a better player than Torres, but Torres had size that allowed the line to take on match ups Higgins gets plastered on. It still needs work. Our 4th line needs an enforcer who can skate. Edler needs a D partner. Tanev is waaaay too small and does not hit. Ballard needs a D partner...

There are sooo many things that do need addressing!

Yip, at least a "mini" re-build!

Every team every year needs to add a few new players. The Canucks could stay put and contend again. But the point is to improve.

My wish list for the summer is to acquire a defenseman through free agency - preferably a big, mean shut down guy, ideally who can play the right side. Garrison doesn't fit that bill, but may be worth altering the plan for and apparently can play the right side despite being a(nother) left shot. Regardless, there are a number of reasonably priced defensive blueliners out there this year. It would be great to have Sami back as well.

Of all the right wing UFAs aside from Doan, no one other than a pair of 40+ year olds really stands out as the type of player the Canucks should really make a bid for - Parenteau is on some people's lists, but I don't know if he is going to be worth what the bidding will dictate. Burrows is listed as a left winger, giving the impression that the Canucks are very lopsided with left wing talent, but really when you consider that Burrows plays the right side with the Sedins, and Hansen and Kassian are right wings, adding one player who can fit nicely on the second line is a priority. The fourth line had Weise, Bitz, Mancari as options and Kassian late in the season - a number of these guys are now UFAs - Gillis will be looking to add or re-sign a depth right wing as well.

Whether or not Pahlsson comes back is unknown - I'd like to see him re-signed - the third line was very tight with him centering it.

If the Canucks and Luongo decide to part ways I think the focus should be on getting a big prospect center and a big right handed defensive prospect - in addition to a potential roster player - and given the differences in the free agency market between blueliner and wingers, it would probably be wise to acquire a winger in the deal.

I think the chips fall inline best with Florida because of Tallon and Gillis' history of cutting deals, Luongo's history there, and the development period Markstrom will need. Florida has four young prospect centers in Huberdeau, Bjugstad, Howden and Matthias. They also have a handful of young blueline prospects in Gudbranson, Kulikov, Ellerby, Petrovic, Robak... Versteeg (an RFA) is not a big guy, but might fit nicely on a line with Kesler and Booth - Upshall and Bergenheim are left wingers, but could be interesting additions. I'd like to see a deal with one of those wingers, Bjugstad or Matthias, and a big mean blueliner, with a heavy right handed shot like Petrovic...

Our team last year proved that we don't have that extra grear to win the cup, they also proved it the year before against Boston! The excuse I keep seeing on here is "we were all banged up" BOO HOO!!!

what you people don't think that the Bruins weren't banged up? or that NJ and LA aren't banged up right now? It's the play offs this is what it's all about, you dig deep, suck it up and play!!! I also see on here "we arent deep enough" I call B.S. on that, we have arguably the deepest team in the league in every position, if AV actually used some of our prospects we would be even deeper!

The Sedins are fantastic players and wonderful people, but there determination on the ice in clutch situations is non-existent, I would say take the "C" and give it to Burr, this guy will take van to the cup finals again but this time we will win. He has heart, determination, makes big hits, scores clutch goals, and leads by example, his attitude and will to win will become contageouse to the rest of the team, Hank i am sorry dude but you don't have the qualities it takes to be a captain in the NHL! It takes a little bit more that just being a nice guy.

True leadership is what this team really needs, some fire and some passion, right now this team looks like a bunch of robts, no fire no emotion = no cup!!!!!

So in short it doen't matter what changes are made, if this team can't fin that fire and passion required to win in the play offs, this teamm will be right were it is now next year and the year after that and the year after that!!! lets get with the program and start working harder to win, it isn't just going to fall on your laps guys!!!!!

Archived