The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Evander Kane will not negotiate contract with Winnipeg

What you say is the popular belief. I would however point a few things out:

He was never suspended as a Canuck.

He was embraced by Crawford, who believes in physical hockey.

Mario keeps him around for a reason.

He lands over 200 hits a year. 95% of them are clean. So some of them misses the mark and hit the guy in the wrong spot, so what?

The Savard hit was legal at the time. Mike Richards did the same thing to Booth. Years ago Stevens did the same to Lindros and many others. When Richards and Stevens do it it's ok, when Cooke does it its dirty. I don't remember Richard fighting his own fights either.

He lives by the sword and dies by the sword. He has taken some huge hits in the past.

We loved him when he was here guys. He always stood up for his teammates, not with fighting but with hitting. We are getting out-hit? Send in the Cooker. We need more energy? Send in Cooke. Don't you guys remember the play by play guy for Team 1040: "Everybody loves the Cooker!!"

When Bert was suspended in 2004, he stepped up to the top line. You don't remember the Game 7 tying goal against Calgary with 5 seconds left that sent the game to OT? That should count as one of the bigger goals in recent franchise history. Too bad Malik messed up 1st minute of OT.

If you haven't noticed, beating down the other team's defense is a key component of winning a playoff series. Last year, not one forward on our team poses as a serious threat to the health of other teams' defense. Most teams have several.

Cooke was our unsung hero award winner in our annual awards in 2003.

He was also heavily involved in the Vancouver community, with some child or adult literacy stuff I can't remember.

The guys in the locker room now who were here back then still defends him. I can't believe you fans have forgotten how much he did for us when he was here.

200 hits a year 95% of which are clean. According to your figures which I have not confirmed Cooke delivers 10 dirty hits a year. That's all you need to know about what type of player he is.

Richards laid the hit on Booth but Richards didn't deliver cheap hits to several players. Sure anyone can make a mistake once or twice, its a fast game. But Cooke has a history and he did this stuff repeatedly. Look what he did to Macdounagh for which he got a lengthy suspension including a round of play offs.

Mario doesn't keep him around for a reason, Mario laid it on the line and told Cooke if he wants to stay with the Pens he would have to drastically change his game, which to Cooke's credit he did last year.

Mario Lemieux took a huge amount of heat and was called a hypocrite by the whole hockey community because he employed Cooke at the same time speaking out against dirty play.

http://www.google.ca...iw=1092&bih=514

Anyone who watches enough hockey knows Cooke has been the dirtiest player in the league for far too long. Cooke him self admitted he had to change his game and "retrain his brain" as he put it.

Most guys who land 200 hits a year do usually end up throwing a few dirties here and there. Doan, Brown, Lucic, Eager, Downie, McGinn, etc etc. Most of these guys would not be labelled as 'dirty'. It's easy to count 10 dirty hits from Lucic per year. Not everyone of them would end up sending someone out on a stretcher, but you know as well as I do that hard hitting guys throw questionable hits every 2 weeks.

Cooke has thrown a few undefendable hits from time to time and was suspended deservingly. Mario didn't waive him like the Rangers waived Avery, did he? Waive Cooke now and I bet at least 10 teams in the league would want to claim him.

Anyone who has been watching hockey for more than 4 years would know that he was a good player for us, a heart and soul guy who always stood up for his teammates and he should at least be partially remembered as such. I wouldn't go this far defending Torres.

Sorry I get irritated when Canucks fans throw him under the bus for a few highly publicized hits and suspensions and forgets all how popular he was in Canucks uniform when there are far worse culprits out there.

Unreal... without looking up their stats I can guarantee you that Cooke has scored more goals than Pettinger in the NHL.

I personally do not remember examples of him landing a dirty hit, opposition goes after him or Naslund/Morrison, he ducks behind Bertuzzi, Jovo or Brookbank. I honestly don't remember. Perhaps you can give me an example. He was never suspended as a Canuck. What I remember is him hitting guys after our star players get run over. He was like a mini-Bertuzzi. Unfortunately, like Bert, Cooke will forever be remembered by one incident.

I remember him messing with Iginla a lot, but not dirty hits. Since when are you obligated to fight after a clean hit?

If he was an UFA, I would sign him any day of the week.

Everybody Loves The Cooker!

Most guys who land 200 hits a year do usually end up throwing a few dirties here and there. Doan, Brown, Lucic, Eager, Downie, McGinn, etc etc. Most of these guys would not be labelled as 'dirty'. It's easy to count 10 dirty hits from Lucic per year. Not everyone of them would end up sending someone out on a stretcher, but you know as well as I do that hard hitting guys throw questionable hits every 2 weeks.

Cooke has thrown a few undefendable hits from time to time and was suspended deservingly. Mario didn't waive him like the Rangers waived Avery, did he? Waive Cooke now and I bet at least 10 teams in the league would want to claim him.

Anyone who has been watching hockey for more than 4 years would know that he was a good player for us, a heart and soul guy who always stood up for his teammates and he should at least be partially remembered as such. I wouldn't go this far defending Torres.

Sorry I get irritated when Canucks fans throw him under the bus for a few highly publicized hits and suspensions and forgets all how popular he was in Canucks uniform when there are far worse culprits out there.

Here's one example of teammates doing Cooke's dirty work:

http://www.hockeyfig...om/fights/37781

He constantly did things like this. The organization and fan base was tired of his antics. Anything was better than Cooke, even the guy they got, Pettinger. Why would a veteran player go after an 18 year old rookie, because he's Matt Cooke, the dirtiest player in the NHL. IMO Cooke isn't worth the league minimum.

Here's what Cherry thinks about Cooke. Fast forward to 1:10 if you're impatient and at 2:28 he calls him exactly what everyone thinks.

Archived