The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Charges filed in assault on women, one pregnant, after Kings win

Kings fan punches pregnant women in the stomache during celebration... Wow, now that's low.

link and article below.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/06/assault-charges-filed-in-attack-at-kings-celebration-.html

Criminal charges have been filed against a Los Angeles man accused of assaulting two women, including one who was eight months pregnant, during the celebration after the Kings won the Stanley Cup, prosecutors said Friday.

Two counts of assault with great bodily force were lodged against David Jonathan Gutierrez, 29, who has pleaded not guilty to the charges. He is scheduled for further proceedings later this month in Los Angeles County Superior Court.

Police said Gutierrez was arrested about 10:30 p.m. Monday during a celebration at Staples Center after the Kings won the Stanley Cup. Prosecutors say he hit the pregnant woman in the stomach and her female friend in the face when she tried to intercede.

“Spirited celebrations for our sports teams are a great part of our community,” said City Atty. Carmen Trutanich. “However, when celebrants turn violent and attack innocent bystanders, those violators will be prosecuted.”

Was she part of the celebration or just an innocent bystander? My wife was pregnant in June 2011 and she really wanted to watch game 7 downtown. I told her no way. There was already mumblings of a possible riot, regardless of the outcome of the game and it was too dangerous. I'm glad we stayed at her brother's in Delta to watch the game.

Not sure why an 8 month pregnant women would put herself anywhere close to that kind of situation. Considering she could go into labor at any time and there is obviously a risk of rowdy celebrations happening.

Obviously what the guy did was wrong and he should have been charged, but she shouldn't have been anywhere near that situation.

I think everyone can agree there are idiots everywhere including Van and LA.

As to why a prego lady would be at the celebration? LA is home of Octomom and 16 year old teenagers pushing strollers are on every corner. You kind of get the idea of what type of mindset we are dealing with down here...

Archived