The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Vancouver Canucks 2012 draft preview

Bilbro Baggins

Give me any one of: Henrik Samuelsson, Scott Laughton, Slater Koekkoek, Colton Sissons, or Dalton Thower and I'm happy.

Second round : Brian Hart, Lukas Sutter, or Adam Pelech.

Anybody else tired of us drafting either smallish one dimensional players or European players? Lets get back to the hard working, 100% heart and effort North American players like the ones I mentioned (Samuelsson included in said group for his style of play).

I find that when we draft somebody that we need for a certain position, it usually doesn't work. For example, Cory Schneider was drafted in 2004 because we were in a goalie graveyard at that time. But then, we traded for Lu, and now here is all the controversy.  

I feel that we don't need to add anymore power forwards since we already have Kassian and Jensen coming up. We could probably add the power forward that we need through trade or free agency.

For this year, I feel that the team is in need of a big defensive defenceman. I feel this way because all of our prospects are in a way more offensive than they are defensive. Or else we could probably draft a Kesler like centre like to play on our team when the Sedins retire.

It's just that I feel sometimes that our team needs to draft somebody that we will need in the future more than what we need in the present.

Obviously a player of any nationality can have heart, but its more than coincidence that teams like Boston, Chicago, Philly, LA, and a a handful of other teams who have a predominently North American core have had the most share of success lately.

The Canucks can do whatever they want and I will always be a fan, but it gets old sometimes when the Canucks will probably pass on somebody like Scott Laughton who could be the next Mike Richards, or Colton Sissons who could be a Trevor Linden/ Ryan Kesler hybrid, and draft Anton Rodin version 2.0 instead. Just my opinion.

I hate how all these awesome WHL'ers are escaping our teams scouts, maybe they like to travel out of BC for fun! It's an embarrassment how we can't even scout our own backyard. MG/Delorme need to smarten up with this asap.

I posted this on canucksarmy as well. :D

Don't expect us to get a REALLY solid prospect at 26th overall. This draft is incredibly weak, almost as weak as 2007. I think we need a guy like Andreas Athanasiou, he's ranked in the second round but it would be a steal if we could get him in the first. He has unbelievable hands and speed, he can throw the body and even drop the gloves. Reminds me of a Datsyuk type player. This kids skill level is just..unreal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17UcPNJciEo&feature=related

Obviously a player of any nationality can have heart, but its more than coincidence that teams like Boston, Chicago, Philly, LA, and a a handful of other teams who have a predominently North American core have had the most share of success lately.

The Canucks can do whatever they want and I will always be a fan, but it gets old sometimes when the Canucks will probably pass on somebody like Scott Laughton who could be the next Mike Richards, or Colton Sissons who could be a Trevor Linden/ Ryan Kesler hybrid, and draft Anton Rodin version 2.0 instead. Just my opinion.

Archived