The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Political attack ads

Kamero89

Political attack ads: Should they be legal?

This thread was sparked by the Conservatives new attack ads on NDP leader Tom Mulcair. This is not intended to be an "anti conservative" thread, all parties do it, but it is clear the Convervatives do it the most, and they do it the best.

It is very smart on their part to take advantage of it(the Conservative party), but a number of people who only casually followed the elections based their vote on those attack ads, and a lot could not name real issues to why they voted right wing, but could only say things like "Ignatieff is a American is disguise", and other quotes from Conservative attack ads. A lot of people had no idea Harper wanted to cut social benefits.

I am just not sure what is so hard about presenting your beliefs in an ad, and not slamming someone else's.

Let's try to keep this "if you think these ads should be legal", and our own personal views out of it.

I can't stand them. Slamming another party isn't going to make me want to vote for you. Imo, you only attack another person when your own points aren't good enough. Like you, I wish they would just stick to talking about their party in their ads and focus less on slander.

Not a fan of them, but I don't think they should be illegal regulating political advertising is way to slipperly a slope

Besides it looks like in BC anyways the BC Liberals attack ads are back firing on them, maybe the voters are getting smartter and seeing these ads for what they really are.

For you maybe, but there are a lot of dumb Canadians who take the seriously. A lot of people I have talked to are shocked by all the things Harper has done. Well duh, he is conservative, and he is doing conservative things.

These ads were ingenious. He got a lot of non conservative minded people to vote right wing, with out telling these people what he was really running on.

For you maybe, but there are a lot of dumb Canadians who take the seriously. A lot of people I have talked to are shocked by all the things Harper has done. Well duh, he is conservative, and he is doing conservative things.

These ads were ingenious. He got a lot of non conservative minded people to vote right wing, with out telling these people what he was really running on.

Archived