The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do you think Salo was underpaid last year?

kj29

Do you think Salo was underpaid last year?  

157 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Players mostly take paycuts to play on championship contending teams. Salos refusal to sign here is a sign that he doesn't think the team is a true contender.

I think expecting players to take paycuts to play on a winner can't work for the canucks right now. They gotta work with what they have and build championship swagger. But Lu's meltdowns and sheltering, trading away pure offensive players, lack of young player development, cutting raymonds salary rather than trading him and the first round exit don't inspire confidence.

If a player is signing to win, objectively I don't think the Canucks are on top. I think they do have to shake up the core and move at least one piece to get an elite forward and defenseman or else they're a good but not great team. The alternative is better coaching which is being sheltered right now by management.

Salo agreed to a one year term of $2 million for the 2011-12 season because he was negotiating from a position of weakness. He wanted to win a Cup, and he felt being with the Canucks was his best chance (based upon the 2010-11 season). He was also coming off what was, even for him, a bad injury year, so he took a hit on the term and the amount. Sadly, the Canucks didn't win this past season.

Feeling stronger after last year's perfromance (Salo did play well in most of the 69 games in which he played), Salo wanted an increase in pay and term. He and Gillis could not agree to the length of term/compensation and so Salo moved on.

Good luck to him in TB. However, unless TB gets a goalie I suspect that the best chance Salo will have to win a Cup with TB is if they trade him at the deadline to some other team looking for depth d-men.

regards,

G.

Salo remember prior to signing the contract had had some major injury issues - remember achilles heal? When he did come back remember all the other top 4-5 guys including hoff were playing really well. Salo wanted one more crack at the cup and as others said he was negotiating from a point of weakness.

Van wasn't willing to pay Salo the money nor the term. This is strictly for Salo a money thing cause he must know that Tampa is not a legit contender

Sad to see him go but this is a business at the end of the day. End of an era on the backend

Salo remember prior to signing the contract had had some major injury issues - remember achilles heal? When he did come back remember all the other top 4-5 guys including hoff were playing really well. Salo wanted one more crack at the cup and as others said he was negotiating from a point of weakness.

Van wasn't willing to pay Salo the money nor the term. This is strictly for Salo a money thing cause he must know that Tampa is not a legit contender

Sad to see him go but this is a business at the end of the day. End of an era on the backend

Salo made two million dollars last year and was top 4,leading all d men in (PP goals) scoring while only playing in 69 games.

Considering he has been $$ hosed the last two years,while carrying the team in the post season with his play and production I still think Gillis is cutting corners on LONG TIME Canucks like Salo and Burr,while lavishing Canuck nobodies like Sundin.

Reward your historical heart n soul guys like Sami.Don't discard them for a half a million bucks.

Gilis fail.

When Salo was negotiating his last contract with the Canucks he was not a top 4 and he was not leading the team in PP goals.

He had also just come off a contract that saw him paid very well (3.5 mil) given the salary cap at the time he signed it. It also had a NTC. This heart and soul guy was rewarded.

The contract he signed last season with the Canucks was after playing just 27 games and being a -3. His career was being called into question and some might say the contract he got from the Canucks (Also on July 1st BTW) could very possibly have been more than or equal to what he would have gotten offered on the open market...if he got any offers at all. My gut tells me he probably took a bit of a pay cut to be here but I doubt it was much of a pay cut. Certainly he wouldn't have turned down a contract like what he signed yesterday. That's just an educated guess based on the information at the time though...which is worlds better than making an argument about something that happened a year ago with details that happened after the fact.

Now don't get me wrong...Sami is great and I'm going to miss him but you're usual trying to find every way possible to be able to use the phrase "Gillis fail" is just as ridiculously inaccurate as it usually is.

Nucknit fail.

All Salo wanted was 2 year 2 mill per after our cup run season. A steal for his play. smoke and mirrors used his loyalty against him and low balled him badly. not surprised salo gave us a big FU after this past season. it's just another bad decision by a bad gm, it must be hard for even you to keep defending these mistakes.

Salo signed a contract with the Canucks after becoming a free agent. This was after only playing 20 some odd games the season before and being a -3.

Salo didn't give the Canucks an FU at all. He simply got offered a bigger contract by a team that needed him more. If Gillis started giving out contracts because of sentimentality you and you anti-gillis ilk would be pissing and moaning about that.

Salo's contract was a good deal but also fair given his previous season, the questions about his career and his playing history.

It was a good move by Gillis last season to sign him for what he did and it was a good deal to not sign him for what he got this season given that what he brings to the table/ice can be replaced. Offering a guy who is potentially one injury away from collecting money while on LTIR until the end of his contract is not a horse you give multi-season deals to.

You wanna win the Stanley cup or do you want to give all your favoritest players a big long hug? I'll take the cup. I wish that could include Salo but he'd be a fool to turn down the contract Tampa offered him given the money and the multiple years.

Sami was paid just right last year, IMO. $2M for 69 games and 25 points was good return for the bucks.

Yzerman, however, has drastically overpaid for Salo for the next 2 years. He has taken a gamble which, if it pays off, could be huge for TB. $7.5M for 2 years is way too much of a gamble for my liking, though.

If he'd have been signed by MG for this amount, Canuck's fans would have been seething and screaming for Gillis' head on a stick.

:towel::canucks:

I've never noticed you always being right.

I do notice when your argument gets broken down you tend to go off topic...like you just did here.

Stay on topic or don't bother replying. It's better to just fade out than look foolish arguing that you can see into the past.

There's a world of difference between excuses and sound easy to see logic. Not much of a difference how ever in making excuses and making up arguments to fit with what you want to be true.

Once you're back on topic I'll reply to you again. I've been on this downward spiral with you before and it's pretty pointless. So say something regarding the actual discussion or feel free to get the last word in.

Archived