The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] My take on Luongo and Weber

My take on the Luongo-fiasco.

If we are going to make a deal with Brian Burke and the Toronto Maple Leafs, it would be great to acquire defenseman Cody Franson.

Why? Not only is he a young, big, offensive defenseman from B.C, he's extremely good friends with Shea Weber.

“Growing up with Cody, our families were always close, living down the street from one another.” Weber said in a text message to the Toronto Sun

“He is a big puck moving defenceman with a good shot,” Weber explained. “He also has the ability to find lanes on the power play.”

With also good friend Dan Hamhuis on the team, Shea Weber has endless reasons to join this team.

With Nashville losing Ryan Suter, Dan Hamhuis, Cody Franson the last two years, Weber has lost his life-long defense partner, and two of his closest friends.

large.png

Cody Franson

24 years old

6'5, 213 pounds

Right-side defenseman

RFA

Upside: Top 4 offensive defenseman

Good proposal. I don't see the leafs giving up Mike Brown, but if it includes Luo they should. Van may have to add in a pick to Toronto though. Cody Franson will be extremely hard to get but Burkes job is on the line.

My take on the Luongo-fiasco.

If we are going to make a deal with Brian Burke and the Toronto Maple Leafs, it would be great to acquire defenseman Cody Franson.

Why? Not only is he a young, big, offensive defenseman from B.C, he's extremely good friends with Shea Weber.

“Growing up with Cody, our families were always close, living down the street from one another.” Weber said in a text message to the Toronto Sun

“He is a big puck moving defenceman with a good shot,” Weber explained. “He also has the ability to find lanes on the power play.”

With also good friend Dan Hamhuis on the team, Shea Weber has endless reasons to join this team.

With Nashville losing Ryan Suter, Dan Hamhuis, Cody Franson the last two years, Weber has lost his life-long defense partner, and two of his closest friends.

large.png

Cody Franson

24 years old

6'5, 213 pounds

Right-side defenseman

RFA

Upside: Top 4 offensive defenseman

Mike Brown

27 years old

5'11, 205 pounds

Left/right winger

0.737 cap hit

Upside: Great 4th line energy winger

I've always liked Clarke MacArthur. His size and offensive ability could make him a very worth while player to trade for. He's also had fallouts with the team in the past and may welcome a change. Coming to a peranial contender in Vancouver with an obvious upgrade in talent and a definative system may also be of benefit to him.

I don't need to say much about Franson, as the reasons for wanting him should be obvious.

Part of the problem may be GM arragance. Neither Burke nor Gillis like each other. Both are dug in and willing to wait the other out in an effort to get the most while giving up the least. This is where logic is lost and the fun begins.

I feel that, with our depth in net, we have the upper hand. Obviously MG is quite comfortable with Schneider being our number one (and rightly so) and doesn't have to rush a deal. Burke, on the other hand, needs to make something happen in his net. Reimer never kept his momentum going from the year before and Gustufson turned out to be a bust. Scrivens may one day become a solid goaltender, but with a star goaltender ripe for the pickins; Why chance it? especially when his job may be in jeopardy if he fails to get them to the playoffs this coming season. It is this reasoning that leads me to believe MG is in control. Again, we can afford to wait.

Archived