Keith Ballard (4.2M)

Chris Tanev (0.9M)

Mason Raymond (2.275M)

2013 1st Round Pick

To Van:

Zach Bogosian (2.5M)

2013 1st Round Pick

2013 4th Round Pick

After seeing Schenn moved for JVR, that crop of coveted '08 dmen doesn't seem completely untouchable. (Doughty/Bogosian/Pietrangelo/Schenn)

While I don't see a chance in hell at getting Doughty/Pietrangelo...and obviously Schenn is now with his bro in Philly, it would be nice to see us go after a young punishing defenseman like Bogosian. We all want Gudbranson out of FLA for Luo, but I see Bogosian as a similar type player who has underachieved in WPG, and would be far enough down our depth chart where he's not in a top-4 role for a few years.

Winnipeg gets 3 roster players (including a proven pair of dmen, which gives them a lot more depth beyond Byfuglien/Enstrom/Hainsey). Clitsome and Stuart are competing for bottom pair minutes.

Winnipeg also gets a discounted Raymond who should give them more speed on the wing. Playing with bigger forwards in Ladd/Kane/Wheeler/Jokinen/Antropov should open up the ice a lot better for him, and despite the fact everyone on CDC rips on MayRay...his defensive game is great for a winger (especially when he back-checks with his speed).

Also, Winnipeg doesn't have to worry about signing Wheeler/Little/Bogosian in the same year. Given that they're yet to sign Kane this year, that could be problematic for 2013.

Our Lineup without Cap #s:

Sedin / Sedin / Burrows

Booth / Kesler / Higgins

Hansen / Schroeder / Kassian

[Weise/Volpatti]/ Malhotra / Jensen

**to start the year, Lapierre will be in for the injured Kes on the 3rd/4th Line, while Schroeder will get a look in an offensive role early on similar to Hodgson last year**

Hamhuis/Bieksa

Edler/Garrison

Bogosian/[Alberts/Sauve]

Also, this lineup doesn't include the prospect of getting Doan or any other players.

I'm not sure what to think about this, a part of me thinks they wouldnt do it, then another part thinks we wouldnt do it.

It would be a good way to ditch Raymond though and Bogosian would add something great to our team.

If we were to make a trade with WPG I would rather try to get Little and Slater though personally.

We'd probably have to overpay to pry a 3rd overall pick out of a deep draft...

Plus, since WPG has 20M in cap space available now, and Van is close to the cap - we will need the available money to re-sign burrows/Edler/Higgins.

Players like Bogosian rarely become available via free agency, and like Kassian are impossible commodities to get if they develop to their potential.

Pretty decent proposal, Jets lose a superstar type player but gain 3 players who can solidify their line up. I think they would be hesitant to trade away that 1st rounder though as 2013 is supposed to be so strong. Maybe just Bogosian and a 2nd for Ballard, Tanev and Raymond.

Bogosian is one of those players that is very difficult to find so I would be okay with it even though we overpay. Also dump significant salary to replace Tanev in the lineup.

OP, it's definitely underpaying for Bogo.

Ballard, Tanev and Raymond for Zach, plus their 1st and 4th? Of course, Raymond's slump could be attributed to his injury, and his value/ skill level may actually be better than what he's shown, but still not enough to get that package back.

I'm thinking more like, Ballard Tanev Raymond plus 4th? for Bogosian and Mark Stuart. Zach scored 30 points last season, he's young, he's physical and should only be emerging. Of course, if Keith and Chris and Mason all play well (enough) then I would take that package... can't have enough skilled size.

OP, it's definitely underpaying for Bogo.

Ballard, Tanev and Raymond for Zach, plus their 1st and 4th? Of course, Raymond's slump could be attributed to his injury, and his value/ skill level may actually be better than what he's shown, but still not enough to get that package back.

I'm thinking more like, Ballard Tanev Raymond plus 4th? for Bogosian and Mark Stuart. Zach scored 30 points last season, he's young, he's physical and should only be emerging. Of course, if Keith and Chris and Mason all play well (enough) then I would take that package... can't have enough skilled size.

If I was the GM of a Canadian market team who had a passionate fan base that consistently missed the playoffs, you try and make the playoffs (or you commit to a long term rebuild). The Jets have good young assets and a lot of pieces that are solid, but they have roster spots being eaten by players who aren't reliable. Bogosian wasn't one of the biggest impact players last season for them, and with Buff/Enstrom as the 1/2, having a pairing that can play solidly for 18-20 minutes a night doesn't hurt. On top of that, Raymond's value is a buy-low right now considering his injuries and performance as a result of them. Having a full off-season to train, if Mason does return to 25 goal form (or even 15g+) and is a good 2-way winger, he immediately helps that forward depth defensively.

Bogosian is a young piece that can mature and pay dividends in a few years, but doesn't help them now as a top 3 dman with their lack of depth. He should be allowed to develop more slowly rather than being forced into a role given his draft position.

It's the same reason if Toronto should push to get Luongo hard, because he would help that franchise make the playoffs - and as LA showed, anything can happen in the playoffs. After watching the Jets push for the 8th spot in the east last year, that fan base would love to be in the playoffs next season just because there's a chance. LA vs NJ was (8) vs (6) right?

The whole idea behind this trade is that both franchises are at different stages contender wise - Vancouver is seen as a perennial contender, whereas Winnipeg is not quite rebuilding, but not quite a playoff team. They're middle of the pack and need to do something to get to the next level (making the playoffs). That is ALL that matters. Unless you're willing to spend 3-5 years in the toilet like Edmonton and do a full rebuild via lottery picks, The jets lineup is better next year only because of this trade. Ballard/Tanev/Raymond would all play on the NHL club, and would not be 5-10 minute players.

Why do you think we can get star players for assets that have little value, and that we don't need? :lol: Winnipeg is even adding a 1st and a 4th. Try seeing the trade from the other team's POV for once. If you want Bogo you'd have to give Edler/Kesler +

Archived