The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Going overboard with the 2nd amendment

TowelPower12

No Sharpie, I don't understand.

Who can understand "I'm not against some reasonable gun controls" and "the gun control lobby can't be trusted with an inch, lest they take a mile, so I have to say no to any type of gun control".....

trollin' trollin' trollin'....

I'm not the one here with a self-imposed mental block incapable of understanding that while middleground is necessary, that's not what you're going to get from people who write legislation. Welcome to the real world, oh wait, that's fantasy to you.

I have no "mental block" whatsoever. I understand completely that you believe the lawmakers would be incapable of keeping any kind of gun control legislation to within reasonable levels.

I just don't happen to believe that you're correct in this assertion.

And I don't really care if you say you've "been there and done that" It's patently ridiculous and exactly the type of propaganda that the NRA promotes.

My posting style is based on how a person posts toward me. If all you wish to do is play the game of extremes and deride people and pretend you're above someone, you get the same treatment in return with little worthy discussion. If that's what you prefer, by all means stay on course, and pretend I'm a teabagger by posting the way you do. :lol:

So let me get this straight, you disregard the gun control lobby which has the influence to get gun bans passed in complete contravention to the second amendment, but direct your ire toward the NRA's mindless propaganda machine? You've entirely invested your opinions into fiction and CDC-land theories that are outside the realm of reality.

The sad part is your incapability of separating someone who values constitutional rights (all of them) from the NRA, but given the responses to me here, unsurprising.

So let me get this straight, you disregard the gun control lobby which has the influence to get gun bans passed in complete contravention to the second amendment, but direct your ire toward the NRA's mindless propaganda machine? You've entirely invested your opinions into fiction and CDC-land theories that are outside the realm of reality.

The sad part is your incapability of separating someone who values constitutional rights (all of them) from the NRA, but given the responses to me here, unsurprising.

I personally don't believe in gun control but that's because I believe the 2nd Amendment is quite obviously just a provision that gives Americans the means, if need be, to stage an armed insurgency against the US government. That said, I also don't think that everyone in this country should own a firearm simply because they have the right to do so...if you're going to purchase one for the safety of yourself or those you love, i.e. family, that's perfectly fine.

^^ And this is because in actuality the NRA are a bunch of cowards whose bark has always been worse than their bite. "We oughta do something about _____" That's all well and good, but until any of them actually do anything to back up their words, anyone in this country with a brain will consider them sanctimonious blowhards.

I will actually agree with you that there's no room in politics, American or otherwise, for middle ground, though.

Yes but I take the issue of rights and freedoms more seriously than to care about the fact that the NRA are full of douches, blowhards, etc.

If Americans didn't allow themselves to be so influenced by 3rd parties this really wouldn't be much of a discussion. Reasonable limits would be placed, although there are many jurisdictions where assault weapons are already banned. It's not as if assault weapon bans are non-existent.. Colorado is a state that's highly influenced by the NRA.

I hate to say the same thing twice, but what's the point of even debating this? We will soon have technology that will allow anyone who has a 3D printer to manufacture weapons... someone's already done it. And as soon as the prices for 3D printers become reasonable it will be easy for everyone to do it. As was said earlier in the thread, it could just become an 'ammo control' debate (although that seems like something very hard to pull off), but the debate about guns themselves is moot (ie banning automatic weapons).

3d printing is a huge game changer. Many industries will be created and many more (manufacturing) industries will straight up cease to exist.

I don't pretend they have no influence. I lament the fact that they have too little influence.

If you doubt the validity of that claim, maybe you should use that Wiki tool you mentioned to see how many incidents like Aurora have taken place in the US, compared to the rest of the developed world.

Where did I ever say the pro gun lobby was trustworthy? Or did I say I side with rights and freedoms first? I don't trust the NRA any more than I trust gun control lobby. Remove both from the picture, you have the second amendment.. if no one wants to cooperate, at very least, the rights are explicitly there. And any government that wishes to remove them should spark fear into a person, you've just been trained to give up rights you personally think you don't personally need, which isn't very bright.

I hate to say the same thing twice, but what's the point of even debating this? We will soon have technology that will allow anyone who has a 3D printer to manufacture weapons... someone's already done it. And as soon as the prices for 3D printers become reasonable it will be easy for everyone to do it. As was said earlier in the thread, it could just become an 'ammo control' debate (although that seems like something very hard to pull off), but the debate about guns themselves is moot (ie banning automatic weapons).

3d printing is a huge game changer. Many industries will be created and many more (manufacturing) industries will straight up cease to exist.

Then you are part of the problem if you wish the gun control lobby to have such influence. I don't wish the NRA any influence but sadly they do have that clout. Wanting political organizations to have influence is patently retarded as it perpetuates the problems with finding reasonable middleground.

Archived