The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Ian Esplen's take on a T.O deal.

I go on Hockey Buzz from time to time as some of the blogger's have their heads less up their asses than some members of CDC.

I recently came upon a proposal that Ian Esplen (the main Canuck's writer on the site) and this is what he came out with for a "creative deal."

Step 1: Toronto Buys out Komisarek at 1.17M cap hit for next 4 years.

- Burke gets Komisarek off the books for relatively cheap.

Step 2: Gillis Gives Komisarek a 4 year deal worth 10-12M with some form of NTC.

- Komisarek gets buy-out money, as well as a 2 year extension on his contract, plays for a cup contender.

- Gillis gets a very large right-hand D for a much more reasonable cap hit.

Step 3: Toronto Gets Luongo + Raymond for Ashton, Bosak, Conditional 1st (2nd and 4th if pick is higher than 17)

Step 4: Move Ballard to team needing D or to meet Cap Floor

Sedin-Sedin-Burrow

Booth-Kesler - Kassian

Higgins - Bozak - Hansen

Lapierre-Malhotra- Weise

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler - Komisarek

Garrison - Tanev

Alberts

(Edler/Garrison on PP)

Schneider

Lack

Personal Thoughts:

On Komisarek

- In my opinion, the biggest problem people have with Komisarek is his Cap Hit, his size is an advantage and his physical game is okay. A big attribute he has is his RHS. At a Cap hit of 2.5-3M I personally would take him but as far as a NTC goes, it would have to be a limited clause.

On the Deal

- As far as the conditional 1st goes I believe 18th or higher is a little much, and that it should either be 15th or higher (playoffs) or no conditions at all.

- I would prefer Colborne over Ashton as both have size and a good skill set but Colborne showed a better transition to the NHL than Ashton did in their brief stints with the big club. Colborne is likely to draw into their line-up this season and Burke probably would not give him up, so Ashton is a nice runner-up prize.

- Bozak, Brodziak, and Matthias are all players I would be happy with for a 3rd line center. Bozak was thrown into a top-line role this season and although he seemed out of place, he performed admirably and is a decent playmaker which could allow for Higgins and Hansen to have another offensively successful season.

On losing Raymond, Ballard.

- Garrison signed in Vancouver for a few reasons, one being that his good friend Mason re-signed with the team and convinced him to sign. I would feel bad for Raymond, and would be a little worried how Garrison would take it, but if Raymond is going the other way, he may get a fresh start that he needs.

- Ballard needs to find his top 4 D abilities again, and on a team like Philly, Detroit, etc. it probably wouldn't be that hard. I would be upset losing him as he is a character guy, but the cap space would be very useful. Especially in the Doan Saga and with the talk of revenue rollback in CBA talks right now. Ballard's Caphit is also much less of a cap dump with the increased price of D-men. The return may not be amazing, but it will be something more than it would have been at the beginning of the summer.

Verdict: After much thought and maybe a bit of haggling to make that 1st unconditional, I would do it.

Canucks lose a lot more than they get in return. The only asset worth even considering coming back is the 1st and its made conditional? If it was up to me I would never agree to this. I have a suspicion that MG wouldn't consider this trade either as something similar has probably already been tabled. I am not into giving away assets to make other teams stronger because the Canucks have a precieved negotiating weakness. I would be way more comfortable with a goalie tandem for next season and let the Laffs miss the playoffs yet again, than doing this which reeks of desperation.

Not a chance. The return for Luongo is pathetic. Komisarek doesn't fit this team that wants to go faster and at a higher pace. Komisarek has been on a decline for a while now, might find himself out of a job after his contract is over.

Would make the Canucks worse.

Tyler Bozak is a 3rd liner. Carter Ashton is a B prospect, and a conditional 1st could be anything. Just makes no sense.

another note is that you are really assuming Kassian is able to make the leap from a fringe fourthliner to impactful 2nd liner. He better have had one damn amazing offseason for that to be true. Any trade involving Luo and Raymond better bring back a decent second liner imo instead of hoping players will have a breakout year.

There is that risk, but as the Komisarek buy-out would have to take place first, There really is no risk to the Canucks. If Komisarek does not sign with the Canucks directly after, the remainder of the deal does not take place and the only loser is Toronto.

Essentially the Deal is:

1st, Bozak, Ashton for Luongo

Komisarek for Raymond

another note is that you are really assuming Kassian is able to make the leap from a fringe fourthliner to impactful 2nd liner. He better have had one damn amazing offseason for that to be true. Any trade involving Luo and Raymond better bring back a decent second liner imo instead of hoping players will have a breakout year.

This blogger is taking into account that this is done before Doan makes a decision as to where to sign. This leaves a roster spot still available to him, while gaining the cap space to sign him to a fair deal.

I don't see Raymond moving much if at all.

TOR buys out Komisarek as you say @ 1.17/m -> Gillis offers 4 years @ 11 (2.75 cap hit)

TOR Luongo, Schroeder, 2nd

VAN Lupul, Bozak, 1st (no conditions, Luongo = Playoffs for Leafs)

Unhealthy Kesler

Sedin(6.1)/Sedin(6.1)/Burrows(2.0)

Booth(4.25)/Bozak(1.5)/Lupul(4.25)

Higgins(1.9)/Lapierre(1.0)/Hansen(1.35)

Raymond(2.275)/Malhotra(2.5)/Kassian(0.870)

Weise(0.615)

Hammer(4.5)/Juice(4.6)

Edler(3.25)/Garrison(4.6)

Ballard(4.2)/Komisarek(2.75)

Tanev(0.900)

Schneider(4.0)

Backup(1.5)

65.01m

Healthy Kesler

Sedin(6.1)/Sedin(6.1)/Burrows(2.0)

Booth(4.25)/Kesler(5.0)/Lupul(4.25)

Higgins(1.9)/Bozak(1.5)/Hansen(1.35)

Lapierre(1.0)/Malhotra(2.5)/Kassian(0.870)

Raymond(2.275)

Hammer(4.5)/Juice(4.6)

Edler(3.25)/Garrison(4.6)

Ballard(4.2)/Komisarek(2.75)

Tanev(0.900)

Schneider(4.0)

Backup(1.5)

69.395m

Komisarek is terrible in TORONTO. Goaltending has been terrible, and the team has lacked ambition and heart. He is only a few years removed from an all-star game. Playing with guys like Garrison, Edler, Hamhuis and even Alberts (for them physical games) on the left side is a huge improvement on defensive pairing partners.

I'd rather keep Ballard and his dirt nasty hip checks than Komisarek

Also, why not give Schroeder a chance for 3rd line centre? He's earned it after grinding out a couple of years in the AHL. I think our best option would be going all out for Doan which prepares us for a cup run now, while also mentoring prospects which we can get out a Luongo deal to accompany Jensen,Kassian,Schroeder,Gaunce etc.

Archived