The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

3 hours ago, gurn said:

Watching KC and Cinn. Hunt is just incredible.

Reminds me a little of young Marshawn Lynch. Incredible burst and balance for a back of his size. Always fighting for every last yard.

7 hours ago, c00kies said:

Eagles sure love finding ways to lose games. Two big blown leads against mediocre teams in the Titans and Panthers...

Maybe we're missing our o- coordinator, but plays have to be made in crunch time and they haven't been. 

Should easily be 5-2, but instead 3-4

I can't figure out this Eagles team this year.. is it the coaching or play calling the issue, or just the injuries and lack of depth/talent overall being overrated?

I don't see a roster that is top 5 in the NFL in talent.

They are playing like a mediocre football who will be lucky to get a playoff spot this year.

I don't think this current roster, injuries or not, can compete with the NFC heavyweights like the Rams or Saints etc.

Howie Roseman has to make a move by next week.

They have been literally connected to almost every skill position player rumored to be on the trade market.

They gotta get minimum 1 new starting RB,WR or CB before Halloween or this season is a wasted opportunity with Wentz healthy and still on his rookie contract to be contenders.

Edited by Chip Kelly
  • Upvote 1

Amari Cooper to Dallas for a 1st rounder. 

Jon Gruden's teardown of GM Reggie McKenzie's progress continued Monday with another bombshell.

The Oakland Raiders agreed to trade wide receiver Amari Cooper to the Dallas Cowboys for a 2019 first-round pick, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday.

There are two sides to this deal: First, the ramifications of another trade within a Raiders organization that has turned in a different direction under Gruden in his first year. After Gruden kicked off the season by sending Khalil Mack to Chicago, he's followed suit by jettisoning another young, talented McKenzie pick.

This time, though, the haul seems a tad better. After two straight seasons of 72 or more receptions, 1,000-plus yards and five-plus touchdowns, Cooper has struggled to regain his form. Last season, he dealt with running routes in an offense that was hindered by a back injury to Derek Carr. This season, he's dealt with an offense that's been unimaginative and, more often than not, lifeless.

Not a ton of ambition from Oakland's offense with Amari Cooper this year, though this isn't as bad as some other route charts they've produced in 2018. pic.twitter.com/aJzLVNi5Uj

â Nick Shook (@TheNickShook) October 22, 2018

Cooper's numbers have reflected that downturn. In the last two seasons combined (20 games), he's caught 70 passes for 960 yards and eight touchdowns. Plenty of teams would still take that type of production, but that's not worth a first-round pick.

Which brings us to the second side of the deal. Dallas, still in contention for the NFC East in 2018 but lacking a go-to receiver in the wake of the departure of Dez Bryant, sends a first-rounder to Oakland (which now has three of them in 2019) for who the Cowboys likely see as their No. 1 receiver for years to come. Cooper has that potential, without a doubt, and has shown the ability to produce when in an offense that isn't disjointed or downright dysfunctional.

But sending a first on the eve of Week 8 does seem a little desperate. In terms of the long game, Cooper is likely worth it. But that also includes banking on whether he can establish a rapport with Dak Prescott (or, perhaps, whoever succeeds him at the position).

In the immediate, Cooper heads a group that suddenly is pretty balanced. The fourth-year wideout joins Allen Hurns, Cole Beasley and rookie Michael Gallup. Hurns weighed in on the trade, telling NFL Network's Jane Slater that Cooper is a "great addition. Dude's a baller."

We'll have to wait to see if Gruden lands a baller with his first-round pick.

• Upvote 1

Also no serious damage to Michel's knee:

Sony Michel's injury looked serious on Sunday, but the final diagnosis is still to be determined.

The rookie running back has avoided serious injury after an MRI didn't reveal significant damage to his knee, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported.

The Patriots initially thought Michel suffered an MCL sprain, but following the MRI, the news is more encouraging. Michel still could miss time, but if he does, it may not be much, Rapoport added.

Michel has been a breath of fresh air for the Patriots on the ground, rushing for 422 yards and four touchdowns on 95 carries to pace New England's running game. His potential absence would increase the load on the backs of James White and Kenjon Barner, though the Patriots have long demonstrated they have little problem with rolling with a committee backfield.

As for other notable Patriots, Rapoport reported Rob Gronkowski didn't travel to Chicago due to a back injury that locked up on him in practice Friday. The good news: There's no long-term concern about the injury.

NFL Network's Michael Giardi added Monday that Gronk specifically dealt with painful back spasms last Friday. Giardi reported that Gronkowski could potentially be available for next Monday's game against the Bills. But given Gronk's history, this is a situation that will be worth monitoring throughout the week.

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

Amari Cooper to Dallas for a 1st rounder. 

So it begins. Meanwhile the Patriots got Josh Gordon for a throwaway pick.

Overpayment imo but guess they were desperate for a WR1 to replace Dez and finally end that storyline of them making a mistake letting him go.

Still waiting for the Eagles to do something like I said a ton of rumors right now and big names on the trade market available for the right price.

Also could you imagine if Gruden trades his 3 1st round picks now to the Giants for OBJ? Lol

Raiders need a star to sell tickets when they move to Vegas and the Giants are starting to grow tired of Beckham's drama queen antics. Not as crazy if you think about it.

Win win for both.

15 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Jalen Ramsey is a level below elite, unlike his mouth. He's no Revis Island or the Champ

To be fair are there any true lockdown their side of the field CBs any more? Since the LOB the NFL each has tried to add rules and encore penalties to help offences as much as possible.

They have figured out TDs and high scores means bigger ratings more fantasy points and overall more money.

They don't want defences to be good anymore.

2 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

You give up a 1st for Amari Cooper, but hesitate giving up one for a perennial All Pro safety? The Cowboys will not win another Super Bowl until Jerry is dead or sells the team

Saw some Cowboys fans saying on twitter they will get him in free agency any ways this offseason.

Edited by Chip Kelly

2 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

You give up a 1st for Amari Cooper, but hesitate giving up one for a perennial All Pro safety? The Cowboys will not win another Super Bowl until Jerry is dead or sells the team

At least Jones is actually willing to make moves to improve his team. 

• Upvote 1

Had high hopes for Cooper after watching him in 'Bama, he could catch anything there.  Maybe he got too big, I think he's 220+lbs. and that slowed him down? 

Derek Carr is all but gone, I wonder if the jags are calling...

Just now, Pears said:

At least Jones is actually willing to make moves to improve his team. 

The Bengals have drafted well and have good young talent. But they have not added the big pieces you need to win via trade or free agency by being aggressive.

Feels like a waste of talent for so many years with Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis.

I don't know how you can still support these guys despite not even having a single playoff win. My hat goes off to you.

They are like the Chargers. They always choke no matter how talented when it matters.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Had high hopes for Cooper after watching him in 'Bama, he could catch anything there.  Maybe he got too big, I think he's 220+lbs. and that slowed him down? 

Think Jags could make the playoffs by trading for Tyrod Taylor. They are stuck with Bortles contract right now.

Maybe they go after Carr in the offseason?

Seems like Gruden still likes Carr.

8 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

To be fair are there any true lockdown their side of the field CBs any more? Since the LOB the NFL each has tried to add rules and encore penalties to help offences as much as possible.

They have figured out TDs and high scores means bigger ratings more fantasy points and overall more money.

They don't want defences to be good anymore.

Revis was the last. Champ before him. Deion before him. Ramsey talks like he's on their level.

4 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

To be fair, Cooper is limited by Gruden's offense. Weren't all of his throws 2 games ago passes that were less than 10 yards in the air? 

Not that the offense in Dallas is dynamic, but at least defense's respect Zeke and Beasley in the slot. 

1 minute ago, Chip Kelly said:

Think Jags could make the playoffs by trading for Tyrod Taylor. They are stuck with Bortles contract right now.

Maybe they go after Carr in the offseason?

Seems like Gruden still likes Carr.

He does not and honestly I don't blame him.  Carr doesn't strike me as an elite QB, he's good but not someone I'd build a team around.  Gruden was out to lunch for trading Mack but I'd agree with moving Carr if he can get a good pick in return. 

23 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Saw some Cowboys fans saying on twitter they will get him in free agency any ways this offseason.

Yea after breaking the same bone in his body twice in 3 years.

This trade is basically Roy Williams 2.0

Edited by ReggieBush

3 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

The Bengals have drafted well and have good young talent. But they have not added the big pieces you need to win via trade or free agency by being aggressive.

Feels like a waste of talent for so many years with Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis.

I don't know how you can still support these guys despite not even having a single playoff win. My hat goes off to you.

They are like the Chargers. They always choke no matter how talented when it matters.

I support the team, not the people who run it. If we had a competent owner we would’ve torn it down and started over after 2015. Paul Brown is probably rolling over in his grave right now seeing his son run this franchise into the ground. 

6 hours ago, The Beagle had landed said:

I read on the Sportsnet app that Philly, Indy and Washington were interested in Cooper with the Eagles offering their second rounder.  Wasn't enough and now Cooper is a Raider.

Eh..I think you mean Cowboys, but your point stands.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Revis was the last. Champ before him. Deion before him. Ramsey talks like he's on their level.

To be fair, Cooper is limited by Gruden's offense. Weren't all of his throws 2 games ago passes that were less than 10 yards in the air? 

Not that the offense in Dallas is dynamic, but at least defense's respect Zeke and Beasley in the slot. 

I compare Ramsey to Sherman and maybe Josh Norman for a couple years with the Panthers.

I don't see anybody in the NFL locking dudes down all game. Just doesn't happen any more.

Patrick Peterson is playing the best this year out of all the supposed "lockdown guys" according to various outlets.