The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

I think they want to work EJ Manuel back into the #1 job

Yea, I think that's the way to go. Remember, they still have Spiller & Jackson to carry the load too. Spiller has disappointed for a couple years now with injuries and inconsistency in his game but he has all the tools. I believe Rex will be able to get him going and if he does, that takes a lot of pressure off the QB.

Sanchez is good but that's it. Nothing special and his potential has pretty much maxed out. We know he won't be a staple starting QB but is a good guy to temporarily hold the fort down. Would be better off mentoring EJ and developing him the most they can. Orton/Manuel is fine as is. Have a capable veteran ready to go and a young promising guy by your side. Sanchez is in the middle of those 2 and would be more of a distraction that anything imo.

Yea, I think that's the way to go. Remember, they still have Spiller & Jackson to carry the load too. Spiller has disappointed for a couple years now with injuries and inconsistency in his game but he has all the tools. I believe Rex will be able to get him going and if he does, that takes a lot of pressure off the QB.

Sanchez is good but that's it. Nothing special and his potential has pretty much maxed out. We know he won't be a staple starting QB but is a good guy to temporarily hold the fort down. Would be better off mentoring EJ and developing him the most they can. Orton/Manuel is fine as is. Have a capable veteran ready to go and a young promising guy by your side. Sanchez is in the middle of those 2 and would be more of a distraction that anything imo.

Kyle Orton retired. Maybe give Hoyer a shot.

There's no guarantee Spiller comes back. Buffalo isn't going to offer him market value after his injury problems and an average season this past season. So it'll depend on whether he's a money chaser or not.

With the seasons that Spiller and Jackson had, I have to wonder if there isn't a ton of work to do with the offensive line. If they can't open holes for the running backs, (who have shown in the past that they can do the job) then I think no matter who the QB is, they're going to have a rough go of it.

I have to wonder if they are still behind Manuel as the QB of the future, or have given up on him. I suppose someone like Sanchez could be brought in, to give EJ more time to assimilate himself in the offense, but I wonder if he might be able to take on the starter's role, if the Bills can shore up the O-line.

Better balance with an improved running game, better protection in passing situations.....it might make the difference for Manuel.

As a Bills fan, I'm kind of torn by the hiring of Rex. On one hand, he's a big name and has had success in the past at turning teams around. (sort of like a poor man's Tuna) But I could live without the bombastic personality and the side show.

That being said, if the on-field production is there, I don't care if Rex decides to show off his newly tattooed posterior at a presser.

With the seasons that Spiller and Jackson had, I have to wonder if there isn't a ton of work to do with the offensive line. If they can't open holes for the running backs, (who have shown in the past that they can do the job) then I think no matter who the QB is, they're going to have a rough go of it.

I have to wonder if they are still behind Manuel as the QB of the future, or have given up on him. I suppose someone like Sanchez could be brought in, to give EJ more time to assimilate himself in the offense, but I wonder if he might be able to take on the starter's role, if the Bills can shore up the O-line.

Better balance with an improved running game, better protection in passing situations.....it might make the difference for Manuel.

As a Bills fan, I'm kind of torn by the hiring of Rex. On one hand, he's a big name and has had success in the past at turning teams around. (sort of like a poor man's Tuna) But I could live without the bombastic personality and the side show.

That being said, if the on-field production is there, I don't care if Rex decides to show off his newly tattooed posterior at a presser.

The Bills have a big offensive line, but they're pretty much boulders up there; they don't have much speed or quickness. It's difficult for them to get to the 2nd level to block linebackers which effects their run game. I think one of the reasons Orton had more success than Manuel is Orton isn't mobile so the offensive line didn't have to move the pocket, whereas with Manuel he's more mobile which means the pocket has to slide and since movement is a weakness of that front 5, it just spells trouble.

What I found interesting was when Rex was talking about the offense he said yeah we're going to ground and pound and run the ball, but we're going to throw it too, why wouldn't we when we have Sammy Watkins out there. I may just be reading too much into it, but I found it interesting that he didn't mention Manuel. Most coaches would be like yeah we're going to throw the ball too, so and so back there is a quarterback we have trust in to make the right throws.

Don't read if you don't want Patriots news

Word out of NE is that Revis is more fired up than Brady. Was listening to WEEI between lectures and they played a couple clips from his post practice media session: he's been firing up the guys on the practice field and in the film room, acting like a coach almost, not letting the guys get unfocused. Talked about how he still carries losing back to back conference championships on his shoulder and that there's no way he's not going to reach the super bowl this time around. Color me shocked that someone could be more fired up than Tom, but hopefully his play against TY backs up his words and he shuts him down for the 2nd time in 3 months.

• Upvote 1

Don't read if you don't want Patriots news

Word out of NE is that Revis is more fired up than Brady. Was listening to WEEI between lectures and they played a couple clips from his post practice media session: he's been firing up the guys on the practice field and in the film room, acting like a coach almost, not letting the guys get unfocused. Talked about how he still carries losing back to back conference championships on his shoulder and that there's no way he's not going to reach the super bowl this time around. Color me shocked that someone could be more fired up than Tom, but hopefully his play against TY backs up his words and he shuts him down for the 2nd time in 3 months.

Really? It comes as a shock to you that the 'Hawks are favoured on a canucks forum???

You need to get out a little more. Or go post on some Pats board.

Edited by IdioticRight

Apt response from you.

Just looking out for you. Seeing things that aren't there can get you into trouble.

And to answer your question, no, it's not surprising the Seahawks are more popular on a Canucks board.

What was surprising was that up until a year and a half ago there was next to no Seahawks talk on the Canucks forum.

Edited by NucksPatsFan

Just looking out for you. Seeing things that aren't there can get you into trouble.

And to answer your question, no, it's not surprising the Seahawks are more popular on a Canucks board.

What was surprising was that up until a year and a half ago there was next to no Seahawks talk on the Canucks forum.

And let me guess, you were a diehard Pats fan when Bledsoe or the Flutie controversy existed. Edited by IdioticRight

And let me guess, you were a diehard Pats fan when Bledsoe or the Flutie controversy existed.

Yes, I did watch Bledsoe start for New England at QB. Being born just an hour away from Foxborough makes it a little easy to stay a Pats fan after moving to the west.

No, I didn't see Flutie start for New England at QB. I did see him be a back up for New England though.

Edited by NucksPatsFan

Yes, I did watch Bledsoe start for New England at QB. Being born just an hour away from Foxborough makes it a little easy to stay a Pats fan after moving to the west.

No, I didn't see Flutie start for New England at QB.

So I ask, what makes you a Canucks fan? You're on this forum after all, so I assume you're a fan of the Canucks.

What did you think of the game tonight, care to share?

So I ask, what makes you a Canucks fan? You're on this forum after all, so I assume you're a fan of the Canucks.

What did you think of the game tonight, care to share?

Got into the Canucks the first year of the west coast express and never abandoned ship after. Proud to say I'm a season ticket member. Tonight's game was awesome, the Bonino goal should be a GOTY candidate.

Got into the Canucks the first year of the west coast express and never abandoned ship after. Proud to say I'm a season ticket member. Tonight's game was awesome, the Bonino goal should be a GOTY candidate.

Ok fair enough. I'll admit I likely had tunnel vision. I still hate the fact that you're a Pats fan :P but I accept your presence (tongue in cheek of course).