The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

In NCAA the penalty is applied to the PAT. In the NFL the penalized team kicks off from their own 20 instead of the 35.

That's what I thought, like taunting after a touchdown. I was told that, because it was done before he entered the end zone and scored the touchdown, it would count on the conversion. Since the penalty happened during, as opposed to after the play.

Edited by Amish Rake Fighter

That's what I thought, like taunting after a touchdown. I was told that, because it was done before he entered the end zone and scored the touchdown, it would count on the conversion. Since the penalty happened during, as opposed to after the play.

That's interesting. But if the flag was thrown during the play before the touchdown, wouldn't that also negate the touchdown then and make them replay the down from 15 yards back?

That's interesting. But if the flag was thrown during the play before the touchdown, wouldn't that also negate the touchdown then and make them replay the down from 15 yards back?

http://www.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/15_Rule12_Player_Conduct.pdf

Page 11

15 yards from succeeding spot, or whatever spot the referee deems equitable.

I'd be shocked if they ever called a TD back for taunting, if they did, it would have to be a lot more flagrant of a foul than what Lynch did for a millisecond just to see if he could slip one by.

Interesting that they don't go into depth about a live ball or scoring play.

Edited by Green Building

http://www.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/15_Rule12_Player_Conduct.pdf

Page 11

I'd be shocked if they ever called a TD back for taunting, if they did, it would have to be a lot more flagrant of a foul than what Lynch did for a millisecond just to see if he could slip one by.

Yeah i’ve never seen one in my life called back for taunting in the NFL. In College ball I see it all the time though when they start their celebration before the goal line.

Edited by The Magician

Page 11

Yeah it'd definitely never happen, but I wonder how they would justify not calling it back if taunting is ever flagged before the ball crosses the goal line since every other flag thrown prior to the ball crossing the plane negates the play.

Yeah i’ve never seen one in my life called back for taunting in the NFL. In College ball I see it all the time though when they start their celebration before the goal line.

Now that it's being discussed here watch it happen in the Superbowl.

Yeah it'd definitely never happen, but I wonder how they would justify not calling it back if taunting is ever flagged before the ball crosses the goal line since every other flag thrown prior to the ball crossing the plane negates the play.

Well I guess that's why they phrase it as "the succeeding spot" with said spot being the endzone in the event of a scoring play.

Edited by Green Building

Just take the Marshawn Lynch approach: Grab your nuts and say I'm thankful.

The Indianapolis equivalent of The Moj is the one who broke this story citing an unnamed source after his team was made to look inadequate to play at the NFL level.

Adam Schefter, one of the must reputable NFL guys hasn't even been bothered to do as little as RT that Indianapolis reporters tweet. He probably did his due diligence, came to the conclusion this is hot air, and is using his time to focus on real stories.

And I'll say it again, both teams use the same balls. If the Patriots had a hired ninja who stole balls away from NFL employees without them knowing, quickly deflated them before every Patriots drive, snuck them back into the hands of the NFL employees before they gave them to the refs, and then pumped up the balls again before the Colts started their drives, it would have been picked up by 500 cameras.

Each team supplies 12 of their own balls.

This whole deflated ball thing is ridiculous. Wouldn't The Colts have the same advantage then?

Anyways its gonna be a tough SB for my 'Hawks. A good portion of the legion of boom are injured. Wilson and Lynch will need to pull a rabbit outta a hat.

At least it’s only a sprained elbow for Sherman and a dislocated shoulder or whatever they called it for Earl. Lucky nothing was torn, 2 weeks and they should be fairly healthy. I hope both teams are close to 100% as they can get. I would enjoy an overtime game... :towel:

Each team supplies 12 of their own balls.

I was under the impression the home team supplies 36 balls (24 game balls, 12 kicking balls) and the away team has the option of bringing 12 of their own should they find something they don't like about the game balls provided.

Nonetheless:

The NFL's rulebook requires that teams give game balls to officials more than 2 hours before kickoff, and that they "shall remain under the supervision of the Referee until they are delivered to the ball attendant just prior to the start of the game."

Former NFL official Jim Daopoulos, in an interview with ESPN on Monday morning, explained the process in which footballs are managed. Two hours and 15 minutes before each game, officials inspect 12 footballs from each team and put a mark on them to indicate they meet the proper requirements and are good for usage. Then those footballs are given to the ball attendant.

There also is a second set of six footballs, used specifically for the kicking game, that are marked appropriately and remain in the possession of officials at all times.

"Officials check balls as they go into the game, and if the ball doesn't feel perfect, they can throw it out," Daopoulos said. "There is always the possibility that balls can lose air due to the conditions."

Edited by NucksPatsFan

I was under the impression the home team supplies 36 balls (24 game balls, 12 kicking balls) and the away team has the option of bringing 12 of their own should they find something they don't like about the game balls provided.

Nonetheless:

Exactly so how tf would the Pats do anything? The ball attendant has control of them. They would first have to sneak it away from the ball attendant, then have someone with a pump on the side line where game officials would clearly be able to see. The accusations are so ridiculous. Just like Brady said, i’ve heard it all lulz.

http://t.co/kcwqAuwuhk

The NFL's investigation into whether the Patriots deflated footballs during their AFC Championship Game victory over the Colts was triggered by Colts linebacker D'Qwell Jackson's second quarter interception, according to reports from both WCVB's Mike Lynch and Newsday's Bob Glauber. Lynch reports that Jackson felt the ball was underinflated and notified the equipment manager, while Glauber says a Colts equipment staffer noticed the supposed underinflation. That set off a cascade of events that eventually reached the league office. Via WCVB:

According to sources, the equipment manager then informed the Colts' head coach, Chuck Pagano, who then informed the team's general manager, Ryan Grigson.

Grigson then called the National Football League's director of field operations, who then called the locker room and spoke with the officials on the field at halftime.

Each team supplies the officials with 12 game balls, with the home team providing an additional backup 12. But importantly, each team gets to use the balls that they provide on offense. From a New York Times piece on how the Giants prepare balls for Eli Manning:

For every N.F.L. game, each team has 12 to 20 balls that it has meticulously groomed and prepared according to the needs of its starting quarterback. The balls, brushed and primed using various obvious and semisecret techniques, bear the team logo and are switched out from sideline to sideline depending on which team is on offense.

That means that from series to series, the ball in play can feel wholly different, but each team's quarterback always has a ball prepped by his equipment staff the way he likes it.

This is where Jackson's interception comes into play. If we assume that the Patriots only tampered with the balls they provideddeflating them so that Tom Brady could better grip them in rainy conditionsthey wouldn't ever be touched by a Colts player to be able to notice that they were underinflated, except in the case of a turnover.

Of course, this still assumes that no officialespecially the umpire who places the ball before every playfelt the underinflation, nor did a Colts player while picking up a ball to toss to an official, and that none of the (Patriots hired) ball attendants noticed and then notified an official. The Patriots also would have had to find a way to deflate the balls between the officials test a couple hours before the game and its start. But, if the Patriots did pull some shenanigans, it makes sense that it was D'Qwell Jackson or a Colts equipment staffer that noticed.

Obviously wouldnt change the result, but why are the Patriots always surrounded by controversy? They should be a good enough team where they don't need to try and get the advantage.

Did you send something in? It was about the deflated balls and Blount running for big yards.

Nope, wasn't mine, mine was about deflated balls and steroids lol

http://t.co/kcwqAuwuhk

Obviously wouldnt change the result, but why are the Patriots always surrounded by controversy? They should be a good enough team where they don't need to try and get the advantage.

When your good, it's hard to believe. Remember when the Canucks were paying off the refs? Which quickly became Boston was paying the refs.

The end of that article and the ESPN snippet I posted point out the silliness of this whole thing.

Imo, if the word "investigation" wasn't used and the headline read something like the league is checking if more than just the 1 ball were also deflated, it wouldn't have blown up as much.

This whole thing should end tomorrow [today was a national holiday in the states]. No major, trusted NFL guy like a Schefter has still commented on the report by the Colts beat writer.