The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

3 hours ago, gmen81 said:

Won't matter cuz Pats are losing to KC. 

Don't think that the Pats aren't watching the ass kicking they took last year in week 4 every day this week. They'll come out hungry.

Though, gotta shout out the Chiefs, if it wasn't for them embarrassing the Pats on national TV early in the season, it never would've fired up Brady to go on an MVP like tear, and the rest of the team to rally around Brady and go win the Super Bowl. So thank you KC. 

30 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Is it just me or does it seem 100 times easier to move an NFL team than an NHL team if an owner chooses.

Hundreds of millions are in play. And the owners have all the control. Cities and players are secondary to money. That's why Green Bay is so special. 

48 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Is it just me or does it seem 100 times easier to move an NFL team than an NHL team if an owner chooses.

Didn't Indianapolis just put everything into trucks and left in the middle of the night.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore_Colts_relocation_to_Indianapolis

The Baltimore Colts relocation to Indianapolis was a successful effort by then-Colts owner Robert Irsay to move the National Football League (NFL) team from Baltimore, Maryland to Indianapolis, Indiana completely unannounced and in the early hours of March 29, 1984 after years of lobbying for a new stadium to replace the inadequate Memorial Stadium. 

Mike Tomlin regarding Joey Porter incident ... classic!  

"Cincinnati is afforded the opportunity to sit around days after the game and rehash what happened. We're not afforded that opportunity. We've got a challenge - a formidable one - waiting on us in Denver. :lol:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000621469/article/tomlin-burns-bengals-says-porter-never-got-game-ball

Why relocate as early as next season? Why not just move once the new stadium is ready. Allows St. Louis Rams fans one last time to see their team play and it can drive up ticket revenue as Rams fans in St. Louis would take every opportunity they can to watch NFL football for the last time until their team moves.

19 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Hundreds of millions are in play. And the owners have all the control. Cities and players are secondary to money. That's why Green Bay is so special. 

See I get that the players are, but the cities being secondary seems odd, since it's the people in them that generate the profit. The grass is always greener though right?

The mayor of St. Louis called out the NFL today, basically said he felt he was lied to or misled from the very beginning while the city was laying out very feasible plans to build a new stadium. What I'm wondering is if the league has no control over the owners then what point is there in discussing matters with them? Why not discuss it with the owners first?

I knew Green Bay was special in that sense, but I failed to realize/remember that an owner could do more or less whatever the hell he or she wanted, that makes their bylaw to keep the team there invaluable.

Tre Mac has a point. The owners of some of these teams have no accountability toward the cities and fans. I don't know how to fix it, but I find it kind of pathetic.

19 hours ago, Neversummer said:

Didn't Indianapolis just put everything into trucks and left in the middle of the night.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore_Colts_relocation_to_Indianapolis

The Baltimore Colts relocation to Indianapolis was a successful effort by then-Colts owner Robert Irsay to move the National Football League (NFL) team from Baltimore, Maryland to Indianapolis, Indiana completely unannounced and in the early hours of March 29, 1984 after years of lobbying for a new stadium to replace the inadequate Memorial Stadium. 

When I read that I remembered seeing something on Sportspage or something a few years after it happened. I was too young to understand what was going on. Thanks for refreshing my memory. That seems so dodgy, like a room mate skipping out on rent at the last minute. 

The Oilers, Texans, Titans shuffle is a pretty good one too, but a midnight move? How bizzare. 

St. Louis Mayor Francis Slay has had enough, saying the NFL strung St. Louis advocates along while never intending to block Kroenke’s move. The decision "sent a loud and clear message."

Their home cities and hometown fans are commodities to be abandoned once they no longer suit the league’s purposes," Slay said Wednesday...

...the city, St. Louis County and the state are still paying off bonds that built the dome through 2021. Slay said the city’s annual $5 million bond payment had been offset by revenue generated by the team. Not anymore.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/nfl/st-louis-mayor-wont-look-to-replace-rams/

In case anyone's interested.

13 hours ago, Green Building said:

We've had some @NFL fans reach out to us due to some recent events... #JustSaying

Embedded image permalink

Looks like the Colts found themselves another banner to raise.

I really feel for that Billionaire Kronke owner who married into the Wal-Mart family.  Times are tough and you gotta do what you gotta do to get by making more money off of sure interest than most people will make in a year.  What the Rams won like 6 games over 3 seasons?  Yup definitely the cities fault.  Glad he lost to Kraft in whatever SB that was.  Goddell is a joke.