The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What if Kesler were to be captain?

CrousettCanuck

Daniel has said several times that Henrik is a better leader, it's not a slap in the face, it's just a matter of Henrik being a better leader.

And besides, Henrik is a great captain, and Kesler has still got the A. Henrik is such a humble person, so I think he let's Ryan lead as if he were captain (if Kesler would want to.)

The bottom line is:

WE CAN'T KEEP SWITCHING CAPTAIN EVERY TWO YEARS!

Kesler would be or would have been a great choice for Captain. I am still of the opinion that AV doesn't want a captain which explains part of the choice to have Luongo wear the C. I am not saying Sedin is a terrible captain, but I think for all of the reasons people feel Kesler would make a good captain he wasn't chosen. Vigneault doesn't want someone to shake up the team or be an "alpha Male" in the roomhe wants someone to follow his lead.

With no disrespect to Henrik Sedin as he is a wonderful and leading captain I just have my own proposal and fresh idea to how Kesler being captain could have turned this team to a Cup in 2011, and even a potential Cup for next season (2012/13)

First of all, deciding between the Twins and then choosing one of them with obviously having Daniel know that his brother is and was chosen over him because they thought Henrik would be a better candidate for captain than him is kind of a slap in the face. Obviously, I am absolutely sure that Daniel is fine, but you know what I mean.

Secondly, that run of Kesler leading this team and really trying to push the Canucks into becoming more motivated to play harder and better as a result of Kesler leading by example was a huge example to prove that Kesler has the potential. Plus, if Kesler was chosen captain, then the Sedins can be on the same page as both of them were to be still A's and I honestly think that it would motivate Kesler a lot more than Henrik if he were to be chosen captain it would push this team in a different and more motivated direction.

Label me insane, but it could have worked...you guys have any thoughts?

post-92599-0-19947100-1346306614_thumb.j

Kesler would be or would have been a great choice for Captain. I am still of the opinion that AV doesn't want a captain which explains part of the choice to have Luongo wear the C. I am not saying Sedin is a terrible captain, but I think for all of the reasons people feel Kesler would make a good captain he wasn't chosen. Vigneault doesn't want someone to shake up the team or be an "alpha Male" in the roomhe wants someone to follow his lead.

Henrik is a great captain, so i dont see the point of discussing this. Henrik is way more respected around the league than kesler. i believe we're just fine: henrik as C, daniel and kesler for A in home games and Malhotra (who is so respected around the league, by the referees and linesmen, and other players) and Bieksa fr away games - its a good leadership group.

not even going to read what you wrote.

In game 4 against LA Henrik battled against 2 LA Dmen down low for about 50 seconds, it was nothing less of Crosby-esque

Burrows and Hansen did not have the skill or knowledge to get open for him and the play lay dead. A few shifts later Booth was on the ice with hank and danny for the goal.

Henrik did all this in the same game Daniel came back, Henrik was viciously hit by Brown, and the 2 time Presidents trophy winners who from losing game 7 were baout to be swept in the 1st.

Henrik did his best but he needs a team.

Henrik Sedin is no longer soft, weak, or Swedish. He knows Playoff Hockey and he's ready.

Kesler is not as well liked on the team as some people in this forum think he is. There is a reason why he wasnt picked captain.

Some of the guys are getting sick of his tactics off the ice. Does that make him a great leader?

With no disrespect to Henrik Sedin as he is a wonderful and leading captain I just have my own proposal and fresh idea to how Kesler being captain could have turned this team to a Cup in 2011, and even a potential Cup for next season (2012/13)

First of all, deciding between the Twins and then choosing one of them with obviously having Daniel know that his brother is and was chosen over him because they thought Henrik would be a better candidate for captain than him is kind of a slap in the face. Obviously, I am absolutely sure that Daniel is fine, but you know what I mean.

Secondly, that run of Kesler leading this team and really trying to push the Canucks into becoming more motivated to play harder and better as a result of Kesler leading by example was a huge example to prove that Kesler has the potential. Plus, if Kesler was chosen captain, then the Sedins can be on the same page as both of them were to be still A's and I honestly think that it would motivate Kesler a lot more than Henrik if he were to be chosen captain it would push this team in a different and more motivated direction.

Label me insane, but it could have worked...you guys have any thoughts?

post-92599-0-19947100-1346306614_thumb.j

Henrik's entitlement to the captaincy was absolutely galvanized in his performance in this year's playoff loss. He is everything a captain should be and the fact that he doesn't receive the respect he deserves does not change that.

Kesler has a lot of positive things going for him, but is not the guy you want representing. He simply doesn't have the consistency of character/conduct, and doesn't command the respect that a captain needs to.

Guest Dasein

Kesler donning the "C" wouldn't have brought Hamhuis and Samuelsson from hernia; healed Henrik's back, Ehrhoff's shoulder, Bieksa's bruised MCL, Raymond's broken back, Edler's broken fingers, Higgins' broken foot or Kesler's torn labrum; returned Malhotra to pre-eye-injury level of play; or overruled Rome's unjustified suspension.

We gave everything (the little that remained) we had in game 7 against Boston. It wasn't about who was captain and who was not - it was about a team who had nothing left in the tank.

Before Henrik became captain I thought that neither was a great choice but I still preferred Henrik. Since then, my view of Henrik has gone up and view of Kesler has gone down. Kesler is great when the team is doing well but as shown in the LA series he still lacks the composure and maturity to lead a team.

Henrik got a point per game, was the best forward on the ice, pushed back physically and really was one of the few bright spots. Kesler on the other hand produced nothing offensively and was diving all over the ice.

Archived