The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Size up front - then and now

canucklehead44

Problem is, we are losing a LOT of talent and skill for this size.

Hodgson - 20 goal scorer in his rookie season, he's going PPG potential and he'll probably reach it within the next 2 seasons.

Grabner - 30 goal scorer, one of the fastest skaters in the league and would have been deadly on a contending team.

Schroeder - soon to be NHLer, maybe a year off but he is very close.

Shirokov - probably one of the most understood players, AV pretty much ruined this guy who was full of talent.

Now look at what we have instead of these skilled guys (who were making an impact at the NHL level)

Kassian - 4th liner to full-time press box filler. Potential to be a top-6 forward but he's far off it.

Jensen - Lots of potential, I personally believe he'll be on the team next season but still nothing but 4 AHL goals to show for. Yeah, but those 4 goals were scored in 6 games - then he went on to get two more in two AHL playoff games.

Archibald - Full-time AHLer

These guys may be big, but we're sacrificing some NHL-level talent for it. Gaunce and Jensen do look like they have NHL-level talent, but we'll have to wait and see.

Oh, I can taste the ribbing but ...

I thought that was our best team? For all the crape Lou gets blamed on, he was far from clutch which was perhaps the biggest factor in that series. It was the one time critique was honestly justified?

We also had depth speed (Burrows, Raymond) and talent (Demitra).

ohlund 6'4 230lbs

mitchell 6'3 210

SOB 6'3 230

Salo 6'3 215

edler 6'3 215

bieksa 6'1 205

hordichuk 6'2 212

kesler 6'2 205

bernier 6'3 220

pyatt 6'4 230

sundin 6'5 230

We had plenty of size in 08-09 but got rolled on by chicago and their speed and skill.

When we went to the cup final we had a team built on skill and speed but lacked the size and when the refs put their whistles away we got steamrolled by boston.

What im trying to get at is that it doesnt matter if we get bigger players when the nhl just keep changing the way they call the games.

What's all the fuss about?

Obviously, we would rather have big skilled players, than small skilled players. It will be interesting to see how Kassian develops when hockey starts again. He definitely looks belligerent enough, and some decent skills, that could be very effective in the playoffs. Time will tell.

Problem is, we are losing a LOT of talent and skill for this size.

Hodgson - 20 goal scorer in his rookie season, he's going PPG potential and he'll probably reach it within the next 2 seasons.

Grabner - 30 goal scorer, one of the fastest skaters in the league and would have been deadly on a contending team.

Schroeder - soon to be NHLer, maybe a year off but he is very close.

Shirokov - probably one of the most understood players, AV pretty much ruined this guy who was full of talent.

Now look at what we have instead of these skilled guys (who were making an impact at the NHL level)

Kassian - 4th liner to full-time press box filler. Potential to be a top-6 forward but he's far off it.

Jensen - Lots of potential, I personally believe he'll be on the team next season but still nothing but 4 AHL goals to show for.

Archibald - Full-time AHLer

These guys may be big, but we're sacrificing some NHL-level talent for it. Gaunce and Jensen do look like they have NHL-level talent, but we'll have to wait and see.

ohlund 6'4 230lbs

mitchell 6'3 210

SOB 6'3 230

Salo 6'3 215

edler 6'3 215

bieksa 6'1 205

hordichuk 6'2 212

kesler 6'2 205

bernier 6'3 220

pyatt 6'4 230

sundin 6'5 230

We had plenty of size in 08-09 but got rolled on by chicago and their speed and skill.

When we went to the cup final we had a team built on skill and speed but lacked the size and when the refs put their whistles away we got steamrolled by boston.

What im trying to get at is that it doesnt matter if we get bigger players when the nhl just keep changing the way they call the games.

1. Cody Hodgson, C (8.5C) VS Zack Kassian (7.0B)

AHL: Hodgson 17G 13A 52 Games .58ppg

AHL: Kassian 15G 11A 26 Games .87ppg

NHL: Hodgson 1G 2A 20 Games .15ppg

NHL: Kassian 4G 6A 44 Games .23ppg

Zack Kassian actually had a much more productive first pro season. While I still give Hodgson the edge in offensive ability, Kassian has a rare blend of size, speed, and physicality that is hard to come by. Who would you rather have: Ryan Clowe or David Krejci? While Krejci is arguably the better player, I'd take Clowe on this team - especially with Hank and Kes at Centre.

3. Michael Grabner, RW (7.5C) vs Nicklas Jensen (7.5C)

Nicklas Jensen is a more complete player, whereas Grabner is a sniper/speedster. I'd consider Jensen to be Grabner with size in terms of value. Grabner did take a long time to come around and took a step back last year. I don't have a hard time seeing Jensen become a 20G/30A guy and Grabner a 30G/20A guy.

4. Jordan Schroeder, C (7.5C)

5. Anton Rodin, RW (7.0C)

6. Sergei Shirokov, LW (7.0C) vs Brendan Gaunce

Very different players. Shirokov was a boom or bust talent with a lot of question marks. Gaunce looks like he has a great foundation and with the way he plays I think he is a sure thing to play in the NHL in some capacity. While Shirokov had some slick skills that Gaunce doesn't have, don't count out Gaunce's offensive ability. A ppg in the OHL is a pretty good offensive output for a guy who is in his first year of eligibility.

7. Steven Anthony, LW (7.0C) vs Joseph Labate

This one isn't even close. Anthony was a decent player in junior but only hit the 20 goal mark once. Labate played very well as a rookie in a great college program. Anthony had size but wasn't THAT big, or overly physical.

11. Prab Rai, C (6.5C) vs Alex Mallet

Again, not even close. Rai had some skills but was one of those guys who I thought would never make it to the NHL. Mallet showed he can score in his last year of junior, but more importantly, he hits and fights. I think Mallet is a lock to make the NHL although he has 10-15 goal upside.

12. Mario Bliznak, C (6.0B) vs Alexandre Grenier

I consider Grenier a rich man's Anthony. Bliznak was an undersized defensive forward who wasn't overly physical. Grenier is a project but has an intriguing combo of size and skill.

14. Ilja Kablukov, C (6.5D) vs Alex Friesen

Again no contest. Kablukov is a mediore player with little to no chance of hopping the pond. Friesen is a rich man's Bliznak (more offensive potential and grit).

ohlund 6'4 230lbs

mitchell 6'3 210

SOB 6'3 230

Salo 6'3 215

edler 6'3 215

bieksa 6'1 205

hordichuk 6'2 212

kesler 6'2 205

bernier 6'3 220

pyatt 6'4 230

sundin 6'5 230

Archived