The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

iPhone 5 will be announced tomorrow at 10AM

GLASSJAW

Then what is the point of owning the iPhone?

Camera suck...oh well, I have DSLR

Mapping sucks...oh well, I have GPS

Battery sucks...Oh well, I have a Re-charger and ipod

Screen is too small...oh well, I have a tablet

Phone reception sucks...oh well etc. etc.

Then why is it so damn expensive if nothing works like it should? Might as well just pay $50 and buy a flip phone with better reception.

I really don't get people who just have to bash apple. You don't like the iPhone? Fine, don't get it then.

Everyone knows the specs, the company, and people want to buy the frickin phone. Okay, Samsung has bigger screen, better this and that but apple has ios6, siri blah blah. Oh noes the map app is as good as google maps! LOL APPLE SUXS. You're all stupid for getting the iPhone! Sheep sheep! Errr...okay. At the end of the day, there are more important things in life to argue over. LTE, NFC, wtf? Just get what u want and carry on. I'll stick to my bb 9700? 9300? Idk, some phone that lets me talk to people.

:picard:

My point is that when you're driving it would make sense to use your GPS instead of Apple/Google maps.

I do use the map apps occasionally to see all the different venues in a certain area (ex. restaurants in downtown).

Why do you make the dumbest posts? All your posts either bash a fellow users opinion or are about what's best. Like I said to you before, not everyone cares about little specs.

Your points are retarded.

- the camera is good enough

- using a GPS allows one to use their phone for other things while driving

- 7 hours isn't enough?

- does a tablet fit in my pocket?

- not my fault you're cheap

FYI, Google Maps will be released shortly if everything goes well. If you really are butthurt about Apple not making a great app on their firat attempt by all means create your own (then we can all bash you).

I can't wait for your response.

I really don't get people who just have to bash apple. You don't like the iPhone? Fine, don't get it then.

Everyone knows the specs, the company, and people want to buy the frickin phone. Okay, Samsung has bigger screen, better this and that but apple has ios6, siri blah blah. Oh noes the map app is as good as google maps! LOL APPLE SUXS. You're all stupid for getting the iPhone! Sheep sheep! Errr...okay. At the end of the day, there are more important things in life to argue over. LTE, NFC, wtf? Just get what u want and carry on. I'll stick to my bb 9700? 9300? Idk, some phone that lets me talk to people.

You are really getting on my nerves and this is the last time I will respond to you.

Do I own Apple products... Yes.

Am I an Apple fanboy... No.

I like the iPhone and iPod, I like the Apple company because they make good products and they do that while making them look nice.

I prefer a PC over an Apple laptop. Samsung has a good phone, my cousin has the Galaxy S2 and I even thought it was cool.

One thing that makes me angry about the Samsung Galaxy phone (has nothing to do with the phone) are the Samsung fanboys (ex. Pouria). Samsung fan boys go and attack anyone who has a iPhone by telling them it sucks compared to the GS3, it doesn't have that, it doesn't have this, blah, blah, blah...

Get over yourselves Samsung users. I prefer iPhone because it is easy to use for me, I like the look, and I like the layout/iOS. To me the iPhone will be better because I prefer it, Samsung could have a projector built in to their phone but I would still prefer the iPhone.

Benchmarking mobile maps

Published by Pino Bonetti on September 20, 2012

When you are passionate about gadgets and technologies, it’s only natural to compare what’s available to find the best fit. This is particularly true nowadays with smartphones. Many manufacturers, including Nokia, have recently introduced their newest mobile devices and the Internet is buzzing with numbers and specifications.

We are very proud of the hardware innovation that powers theNokia Lumia 920, like PureView, NFC, wireless charging and PureMotion HD+, but we believe that there is even more.

It’s not only about raw numbers; it’s about what you can actually do with your smartphone. For example, it can be something you were unable to do before, like taking photos without flash in low-light conditions. Or it can be a better way to handle everyday life, likedriving to work.

Location experiences

For all the needs that begin with a “where” question, we have developed a compelling suite of applications that delivers the best location-based experiences – helping you to discover the world around you and navigate your life. Not only is this possible because the location business is strategic to Nokia, but because these apps are running on the world’s most advanced location platform.

Unlike our competitors, which are financing their location assets with advertising or licensing mapping content from third parties, we completely own, build and distribute mapping content, platform and apps.

In other words, we truly understand that maps and location-based apps must be accurate, provide the best quality and be accessible basically anywhere. That’s been standard practice at Nokia for the past six years, and we also understand that “pretty” isn’t enough. You expect excellence in your smartphone mapping experience.

Our superior apps are built on the most accurate, automotive-grade Navteq maps, meticulously developed by over 20 years of know-how. We believe that the best user experience comes indeed from precise data, robust processing of core platform functionalities like routing, geocoding and traffic, and by user friendly apps. All this cannot be built overnight.

A mapping experience is a must-have feature for many of us. In fact, a recent survey by IDG found that 77% of respondents are using smartphones for GPS navigation. No wonder that many of our readers are closely following the recent development and changes of mapping apps and the user experience on the newest smartphones.

The benchmark

Let’s take a look at the location experience on some of the newest smartphones:

Maps-apps-benchmark.jpeg

“Nokia’s suite of location-aware apps and services on its new Lumia devices put it in a clear lead over its competitors in terms of the depth, breadth and integration of the mapping, navigation and transport experiences it can offer. It also leads in terms of the global coverage it provides,” said Tim Shepherd, senior analyst at Canalys.

I think the most impressive difference, beside the ability to use Nokia location-based apps offline as well as online, is the number of countries where voice guided turn-by-turn navigation is available.

Nokia-1024x575.png

Google-300x168.png Apple-300x168.png

The big map is Nokia’s, the bottom left is Google and Apple is on the right.

:picard:

My point is that when you're driving it would make sense to use your GPS instead of Apple/Google maps.

I do use the map apps occasionally to see all the different venues in a certain area (ex. restaurants in downtown).

Why do you make the dumbest posts? All your posts either bash a fellow users opinion or are about what's best. Like I said to you before, not everyone cares about little specs.

Your points are retarded.

- the camera is good enough

- using a GPS allows one to use their phone for other things while driving

- 7 hours isn't enough?

- does a tablet fit in my pocket?

- not my fault you're cheap

FYI, Google Maps will be released shortly if everything goes well. If you really are butthurt about Apple not making a great app on their firat attempt by all means create your own (then we can all bash you).

I can't wait for your response.

Archived