The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Newer Newer Official WWE/TNA thread.

marleau_12

Bassi, you can delete the box. I have that problem a lot too.

You have to click the quote box and then hit delete. I click in the top left corner.

Very detail account of what went down with TNA, A.J. Styles and The Bullet Club

Since TNA released their statement regarding AJ Styles, Karl Anderson and Doc Gallows earlier today, PWInsider.com has been hit with a number of queries from readers, so here is some background on what happened between all sides, where the issues lie and what might happen going forward.

Based on conversations with a number of sources over the last several hours, it appears TNA began discussions with AJ Styles sometime in November 2015 in regard to bringing him back to the company. TNA had more money available to them to sign talents with Kurt Angle's deal expiring and a number of TV deals, most notably India and the UK, bringing the company greater rights fees when January 2016 hit, as well as the new deal with Pop TV, all of which insured the company was going to be a stronger position financially then it had been in recent years.

TNA wanted Styles back bad. The feeling was that when Styles left, the company had lost their "Sting" in terms of a talent who was so strongly branded to them, he was the embodiment of the company, as Sting once was to World Championship Wrestling. The belief was that Styles' return, coupled with the new TV home, would be a nice one-two punch to show the audience that things were finally turning around. Styles' return would give them their "homegrown top guy" back and kick off the first quarter of the year with a strong storyline that would generate attention for the company. For those wondering, at no point during these discussions was Styles under contract to New Japan Pro Wrestling.

We are told that TNA had daily discussions with Styles in November and December and that the idea of bringing Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson was tossed out there. The pair were looking to leave New Japan for a number of reasons, including, allegedly, unhappiness over money the Bullet Club was making over merchandising as New Japan pretty much has a license to print money with that stable. Gallows was not under contract to NJPW. Anderson was and still is.

An angle was created that would have seen Styles return and then eventually, once Anderson was free and clear from his NJPW commitments, he and Gallows would have come in as well.

The discussions moved forward to the point that all three gathered with TNA President Dixie Carter, Vice President John Gaburick and others for what was termed a "summit" at Carter's home in Nashville, TN on 12/14. The group met all day and according to one TNA source, "It could not have gone better as a meeting." That day, creative storylines were locked in, a logo for the group was finalized and start dates were locked in, with the idea that Styles would start in January 2016 and the others would follow when the storyline dictated. It was said to be a major part of TNA's creative for the first half of the year.

The trio were presented with a contract to sign. The trio met privately and came back with some requested amendments, which TNA agreed to. Styles' deal was said to have been "at least" a three year deal with an option for one additional year at the end. I have no confirmation on the length of the deals for Gallows and Anderson.

At the end of the day, TNA sources claim (and are adamant) that Styles, Gallows and Anderson, as well as TNA officials all signed agreements that would bring Styles home and bring Anderson and Gallows into TNA as a team. There were no lawyers involved, just the principles and at the end of the day, AJ Styles had returned home and the Bullet Club members were coming to TNA.

So, what happened?

Well, as often happens in life, once lawyers get involved, it all goes to hell.

The story that has made the rounds is that once Styles' agent/lawyer Bill Behrens learned that Styles (and perhaps the others) had signed an agreement without Behrens' involvement and supervision, he did not have a positive reaction. TNA sources, as you might expect, support this story, noting that Behrens was against the deal after he learned about it and that Styles' deal could not be ratified without his involvement.

Communication between Behrens (who, it should be pointed out, worked for TNA in its earlier days) and TNA began. Longer form contracts were being drawn up by TNA attorneys as the Christmas holidays hit, leading to the obvious delays as businesses shut down for that season.

In the meantime, TNA purchased plane tickets for Styles to come to Bethlehem, PA for the final day of tapings for the Pop TV debut episodes. One story we have heard is that Styles was going to secretly come to shoot pre-tapes at a hotel that would then be inserted into the show, with the idea that TNA would shock the world when the shows aired and out of nowhere, here was the return of Styles - sort of a play on the surprise announcement that Kurt Angle had signed with the company going forward.

From there, Styles would return to the TNA ring at the end of January during the UK tour. I am guessing he would have been one of the final Kurt Angle opponents, because logically, that would make the most sense. We are told Styles even suggested some British talents that the company should take a look at, including Will Ospreay.

But, then, according to TNA sources, they never heard from Styles, Anderson or Gallows again. Texts and calls were not returned and suddenly, the storyline that had been laid out to help kick off 2016 and thunder into the new TV home was non-existent.

The company would later hear from Bill Behrens that the deals would not be going forward, which according to TNA sources, was mind-boggling, because in the company's mind they had already signed these talents to come in. It was especially mind-boggling in the case of Styles, because since he left, there was a feeling that he was the one "TNA Original" the company couldn't live without in the eyes of some fans, so TNA went and finally brought him back into the nest, only to see him disappear before their very eyes after they thought he was locked in.

As the beginning of 2016 came, word began spreading that Styles, Anderson and Gallows had given notice they were leaving New Japan. In the case of all three, the word was they would eventually, once legally and medically cleared to do so, sign with WWE.

It was branded in some circles as WWE targeting New Japan and raiding them. It was never a raid on New Japan. The reality is that the trio were already one foot out the door from New Japan, only before they put that foot down in TNA, someone, somewhere on either their side or WWE's, started communications and the trio, like Bugs Bunny, made a left turn in Albuquerque and instead negotiated deals to go to WWE. WWE didn't raid New Japan - they instead swooped in and smartly, prevented TNA from bettering their company and in the process, bettered WWE.

TNA sources remain adamant that they have, to date, not heard from Anderson or Gallows personally but that Styles did later have communication where he, according to one TNA source, stated he was going to do what was best for his family. We are told that frustration over being iced out when it came to communications from the trio and having signed them only to see them back out of the deals, coupled with the feeling that they had "done the right thing" only to get fleeced, led the company to release today's statement.

PWInsider reached out to Bill Behrens and he declined to comment on the record, but it should be noted that [21]The Fight Network in Canada reported the following: "The LAW spoke to the management for A.J. Styles and they stated to us that no contract was ever signed or finalized by any of the parties." After that was reported, PWInsider.com again reached out to Behrens for comment but as of this writing, did not hear back. If and when we do, we will update.

So, here is where things stand. We have one side claiming there was an agreement and the other, if Fight Network is to be believed (and I have no reason to discount their reporting) claiming there was not. The only way to be sure exactly what was signed is and whether it was legally executed is for TNA to produce the actual document featuring all the signatures from the parties involved. Thus far, that has not yet happened and it may not happen unless the company decides to pursue the manner from a legal standpoint - more on that in a bit.

Did TNA sign talents to binding, legitimate deals? Are they simply blowing smoke out of bitterness and frustration? It's impossible to definitively say so without looking at the deals but if Styles, Gallows and Anderson did sign an agreement last month in Nashville, what did they did sign and what happened to make them instead head towards the waiting arms of WWE? Did they have buyer's remorse? Did old, angry feelings stemming from TNA's reduced contract offer to Styles years before bubble back up? Did WWE simply make a better offer? Was WWE tipped to what was going down and went predatory? Did someone from the talents' camp (or one of the talents themselves) play an old school trick out of the Monday Night War era and use TNA's deal as leverage to get an even greater deal for them from WWE? These questions can't be answered today. They may or may not even be answered in the days and weeks to come.

As far as the most asked question we have received, whether TNA intends to pursue legal action, we are told that no decisions have been made. TNA opted to make today's statement because there was a feeling that the company had been wronged when they tried (and believed they accomplished) something to better the company and make fans happy, only to end up burnt. One source noted that the company didn't want to be a "patsy" and give the appearance they let their "Sting" just walk into WWE without at least letting people know they wanted and tried to get him back. TNA executives wanted what they feel is "the truth" out there for the masses.

And of course, and this is just my opinion, they timed it for the Royal Rumble weekend on the off chance the ripple effects of it might see WWE blink and change their plans.

As I wrote earlier today, the TNA statement seemed "carefully worded" and certainly could be seen as a shot across the bow warning that legally, there may be more to come. Whether that happens or not rests in the hands of the lawyers, which truth be told, is how all the chess pieces ended up in these positions on the board to begin with. Time will tell what, if anything, the next move will be...and whether New Japan or WWE get involved in what could easily turn into a far muddier situation.

Rumour is Lesnar's WM opponent will be Braun Strowman.

There has been a recent push within WWE to do a Braun Strowman vs. Brock Lesnar singles match, perhaps at WrestleMania 32. WWE ending Monday's RAW with The Wyatt Family beating Lesnar down could be a sign that they're moving in that direction.

Regarding The Wyatt Family, the idea was to use The Dudley Boyz and Tommy Dreamer as a way to get momentum going for Bray Wyatt and his crew as they head into WrestleMania 32 season.

On 2016-01-13 at 3:34 PM, g_bassi13 said:

Makes me wonder where GFW is at. Weren't they supposed to be on TV by now? I remember they did a bunch of tapings, and crowned their champions, but there seems to be no way to watch them.

They are still holding events and look to be going to the UK in March.  I believe the hope was to be on TV but it just hasn't worked out.  Seems like GFW is content at this point with having their belts in various promotions. Free advertising of sorts. 

Ewen: Getting to the top of WWE was no Breeze

Penticton’s Mattias Clement, aka wrestler Tyler Breeze, returns to his hometown with WWE

For one night in the WWE, Tyler Breeze is guaranteed to be a fan favourite.

Breeze, the alter ego of Penticton native Mattias Clement, is on the card for a house show (non-televised event) at the South Okanagan Events Centre on Feb. 6. It’s being billed as WWE’s first-ever stop in Penticton.

Clement, 28, grew up a wrestling fan. He tells stories of he and his friends breaking things at the family home mimicking the moves they saw on TV and eventually building their own ring in the back yard. Not long after graduating high school, he headed off to Calgary, where he trained under former WWE star Lance Storm.

The 6-foot, 206-pound Clement made his pro debut in 2007 and was signed by WWE initially in 2010.

He went through various personas in their development programs before settling on Breeze, the preening pretty boy known for taking selfies on his way to the ring and being billed from places like “his seasonal residence in Campo Grande, Brazil.”

He was one of the featured participants in Breaking Ground, the behind-the-scenes show on the WWE network that followed NXT, the WWE’s latest farm system. The finale chronicled Breeze being called up to the main roster in October.

He took a little time to talk to The Province this week.

What’s it going to be like being a part of a WWE show in your hometown?

It’s really cool, actually. We used to go to shows in Kelowna all the time, but once they stopped running there, the closest they would get would be Vancouver or maybe Abbotsford. Now coming to Penticton for the very first time and being a part of it is really something.

You were a fan growing up?

A huge fan. I had all the action figures. I had WWE pillow sheets. I always had the VCR going, taping everything I could.

And what was it like to be trained by Lance Storm?

He was a huge help. He trained me how someone should be trained. He hooked me up with my first bookings. And he still stays in contact. He’ll see that we have a show in the Calgary area and I’ll get a “Hey, I’m going to be at the show.”

He has a reputation for being strong technically, doesn’t he? What was that like for you?

He was great. Now that we have the WWE Network, you can go on there, look up his matches, and his work speaks for itself. His technique is so always on point that you’re almost jealous.

Speaking of guys you learned from, I saw on a Breaking Ground episode that you studied Gorgeous George video tapes when you were coming up with the Breeze character. What did you take from him? The height of his popularity was in the 1940s and ‘‘50s, wasn’t it?

It was his showmanship. Back then, he was so ahead of his time, with how over the top and extravagant he was. Some of his entrances would take 10 minutes. Before he would start wrestling, people would be fixated on watching him. It’s hard, hard skill to learn.

Why do you think your character is connecting now?

I think he’s able to make people feel a certain way. They love him or they hate him. I think that’s the biggest part of what we do. There are so many people in the world. Why should you pay attention to this particular one? Why does he capture your attention?

Who had the biggest influence on the character? I’ve read a lot about Triple H being involved.

To be honest, there were so many different hands involved. It wouldn’t have gotten off the ground without Dusty Rhodes. He was one of the first to say, “You know … there might be something there.” Terry Taylor was a big part of sculpting what you see now. Billy Gunn, Norman Smiley, Bill DeMott … everybody had at least an opinion. I took all that info in. It’s all valuable. Anyone who doesn’t consider all those opinions is really just wasting time. Triple H was the one who suggested that I switch from the pocket mirror to the cellphone and selfie stick, and that’s become one of the focal points of the character.

On Breaking Ground, there were various references to you being in jeopardy of being released from your contract on multiple occasions. Were you fearful of that? You wrestled as Mike Dalton and Mike McGrath, among others.

Breeze: I don’t know if I was fearful. Anything you do in life, there’s going to be obstacles and I’ve had my fair share of obstacles. I didn’t see it as something to be scared of. It was more of a learning tool. I found ways to overcome obstacles and people to help me overcome obstacles. And that makes the end result that much sweeter.

What was the filming of Breaking Ground like for you?

I was excited about the concept when it was first laid out for me. People want to see behind the scenes, people want to know what’s happening before they see what happens on TV. They shot so much. I think they used half of what they shot. Considering how the fans reacted just off my own personal Twitter and Instagram, it was a big success.

Was it hard to get used to?

With what we’re doing, there are always cameras around all the time. We’re always being recorded or being photographed. It was another camera following people around. And the crew was great. They captured stuff as it naturally happened and they weren’t invasive at all.

The final episode featured Triple H calling you up to the front of the room in front of everyone with NXT to tell you that you had been called up the main roster. Have you gone back and watched that show again?

Yes I have. I got messages when it first aired from both my mom and dad saying how much they loved that. I went back and watched it and it was pretty cool. To be there with Triple H and have him say, ‘You’re now a WWE Superstar,” and have all my friends on their feet applauding is a pretty powerful moment to have on video.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/ewen+getting+breeze/11672501/story.html