The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

VAN - FLA

For the millionth time here is a trade proposal that involves Florida...I'm bored and I truly feel that we need help at center after seeing schroeder live a fee times. There was a rumour a while ago that Tallon would move NB if he could Schroeder or Hansen back. I'm sure Gillis shot that down because Schroeder finished off so well last year in the AHL. After seeing him, I think he is very expendable, hope Tallin still wants him. As for Hansen, he won't realize his full potential here but we would have to get more back if we moved him. We are in a window here so moving him is not a great idea.

To FLA

Luongo

Schroeder

Sauve

To VAN

Bjugstad

Clemensen

3rd

For the millionth time here is a trade proposal that involves Florida...I'm bored and I truly feel that we need help at center after seeing schroeder live a fee times. There was a rumour a while ago that Tallon would move NB if he could Schroeder or Hansen back. I'm sure Gillis shot that down because Schroeder finished off so well last year in the AHL. After seeing him, I think he is very expendable, hope Tallin still wants him. As for Hansen, he won't realize his full potential here but we would have to get more back if we moved him. We are in a window here so moving him is not a great idea.

To FLA

Luongo

Schroeder

Sauve

To VAN

Bjugstad

Clemensen

3rd

@ "G."

I fail to see how you think that NB is an untouchable where as Huberdeau can be used as trade bait. This is what's wrong with 95% of every trade proposal you see. Fans such as yourself underestimate the value of other team's prospects or players, yet inflate the value of a goalie like Luongo to 100x his realistic value. Huberdeau is penciled in as one of FLA top center's for the next generation at least. You also want Florida to give up another prospect in Petrovic, as well as a first? I'm sorry that just makes absolutely no sense for Florida. Makes all the sense in the world for Vancouver though. Huberdeau is not what is defined as a top prospect. He is more like a star prospect. Your proposal makes no sense, and you really need to actually find out who the hell Huberdeau is.

@ "G."

I fail to see how you think that NB is an untouchable where as Huberdeau can be used as trade bait. This is what's wrong with 95% of every trade proposal you see. Fans such as yourself underestimate the value of other team's prospects or players, yet inflate the value of a goalie like Luongo to 100x his realistic value. Huberdeau is penciled in as one of FLA top center's for the next generation at least. You also want Florida to give up another prospect in Petrovic, as well as a first? I'm sorry that just makes absolutely no sense for Florida. Makes all the sense in the world for Vancouver though. Huberdeau is not what is defined as a top prospect. He is more like a star prospect. Your proposal makes no sense, and you really need to actually find out who the hell Huberdeau is.

You seem a bit ambivalent in your opinion. C'mon. don't be shy and tell me what you really think. :)

For purposes of getting going some discussion on the original post, I entered my somewhat optimistic suggestion. Sadly, I did not get any discussion, merely attitude. Oh well.

I am aware of who Huberdeau is, sorry, "who the hell Huberdeau is". Really.... no. really.

Yes, really.

What I was looking to do was to introduce the idea that if Tallon wants to make certain assets untouchable then he leaves open other assets for discussion. Would Gillis get exactly what I suggested? Possibly, but only if Tallon didn't know "who the hell Huberdeau is", and since he drafted the kid I suspect that that is unlikely.

regards,

G.

This is going to be my quick summary. I don't believe Florida is the ideal trading partner in terms of assests. Florida is trying to win now, but they aren't looking to pay an arm and a foot in terms of prospects with Huberdeau and Bjugstad along with a 1st and another prospects (ie. Petrovic). If you need further proof of that, they don't have any roster players we really need, and they have a budding star goaltender in Markstrom. I assume GM's in the NHL are smart enough to see that if they wait a year for Markstrom to develop they can keep a potential two way top six forward, a 1st round pick, a roster player, and also another potential NHL'er. The reason i have an issue with your post is that if you think that Huberdeau is available when Bjugstad is not... that is just comedy.

I just want to start off with talking about the realistic value of Luongo at this moment. He is an aging goaltender, who has his best years behind him and is signed to a massive long term contract that requires teams to make a long term commitment to. Vancouver management minus as well have crowned Cory Schneider as our top goaltender, after resigning him to a deal this summer. We can't afford to blow a good 1/6th of our cap on just simply goaltending. Most teams that are playoff ready have a solid goaltender, and the rebuilding one's most likely have one that they themselves have crowned as a successor to their current starting goaltender. Luongo has a limited NTC/NMC so he has leverage in where he wants to go, so if MG negotiates with someone, and the negotiations get serious... then the other GM will obviously know that Luongo has agreed to go there if a deal is struck. The fantasy is that MG is happy with having both goaltenders on our team, but the reality is that I doubt either Cory or Roberto will be happy being the backup or having to split games. This is why the trade value of Luongo will never be a price such as Bjugstad+impact roster player+prospect+1st(in any year).

I don't ever see us making this deal with Florida realistically without us getting Bjugstad. However saying that I don't think he's available and Tallon is trying to push MG to accept pieces such as Howden(Fan of his), Petrovic, and a bunch of other spare parts. As for the Huberdeau argument, one could argue that Huberdeau did nearly make it to the NHL last year, and all Florida wanted him to do was add a bit of strength to his frame. The problem I have with your view's on this deal is I personally believe that Tallon is not willing to part with either prospect, and is unrealistic to add on more value coming to the Canucks when he won't even part with Bjugstad. Following up with Versteeg, I don't believe he is the right fit here. This might be a little bias, but I believe in order for Versteeg to succeed the team needs to be in a large part more about him for him to score. From the reviews I have read over multiple boards, he is as other fans would describe it as a douche and a cancer to any team. Add the little cherry on top with the whole rivalry with Vancouver and Chicago, and I believe he's not a good fit at all here.

In order for Luongo to be traded, I think we should look at a deal realistically with Toronto. They have assets such as Carter Ashton, James Reimer, and could offer something like Jerry D'aimgo to top it off. That doesn't look like the best package for Luongo, and yes I agree. However Canucks fans have to accept reality.... in the sense that we will not be getting a top prospect, an impact roster player, and a prospect or pick. This deal is most certainly bias, as I have always loved Ashton as a player, and D'aimgo is starting to really build up towards his potential. The Leafs are definitely the better trade option at the moment and the big reason for that is because they have no starting goaltender, and no good goalie prospect that looks to be able to be that solid NHL starter (Justin Pogge anyone?).

Overall I agree with at least 75% of your argument, and the points i don't agree with are probably personal preference. However the only thing that irks me is the fact that you wanted to replace Bjugstad with Huberdeau... whether or not it was to change up the discussion or not. I understand that every fan has their own perspectives on certain players, but I just had to assume that most people would understand that Huberdeau is FLA's top prospect, and there is no way that Florida will willingly part with him. A Vancouver-Toronto trade seems most likely, as they have assets that we would want, have cap space, lack a starting goaltender, and are starting to build a team that could make the playoffs if they didn't have as many holes in crease as a twenty year old pipe.

The Canucks want Reimer because MG wants a goaltender back who can maybe play 20+ games or so if Schneider really can't handle the pressure of being a Starting goaltender. Although Reimer wouldn't be the best available in terms of being a backup goaltender, he holds value in that he will be able to play some games. Again from a Canucks perspective we don't need goaltender prospects, just simply someone to tide us over until Lack is ready for NHL duty. The difference between the Leafs and the Panthers is that the Leafs have a decent core together (as weird as that is) and all they are looking for is a goaltender in order to help them over that hump. Florida on the other hand is just waiting for the arrival of Markstrom, and they looked okay in net in terms of last season. Markstrom will be ready this year or next year in my opinion, and if he is all that he's put out to be... the Panthers will be fine without grabbing Luongo. I just don't think Tampa is the partner that the Canucks want since they just acquired Lindback and they seem confident enough with him in net. However their tone may change if Lindback falters when the NHL season finally does begin.

The Canucks want Reimer because MG wants a goaltender back who can maybe play 20+ games or so if Schneider really can't handle the pressure of being a Starting goaltender. Although Reimer wouldn't be the best available in terms of being a backup goaltender, he holds value in that he will be able to play some games.

Archived